Boumsong spared by Roeder

Scottish Mag

Jean Alain Boumsong has been spared playing in the Newcastle United Reserves tonight - because he is one of the fittest men at the club.

The French international has missed United's last two games with Spurs and Middlesbrough and after being on the bench against Martin Jol's side he watched Sunday's proceedings from a seat in The Riverside stands.

Glenn Roeder would have been perfectly entitled to play the £8.5m signing in tonight's Reserve game with Manchester City at Kingston Park to keep him ticking over in view of the double header against Wigan Athletic and Sunderland over Easter.

However, the caretaker manager told me today: "Jean Alain is a very fit player and he has played a lot of matches for us this season so there is no need to play him in the Reserves tonight.

"In fact I would not do that to him and really I don't like playing senior players in the Reserves unless it is absolutely necessary for them to get in some match practice.

"Boum is quite naturally disappointed at not being in our starting line-up against Spurs and Middlesbrough but he has responded in the right manner. He has trained well and there are no complaints from me at the amount of effort he is putting into his training."

Both Roeder and chairman Freddy Shepherd have a chart at their fingertips which reveals the percentage of games every United player has under his belt this season.

Before he was dropped against Spurs, Boumsong had the highest of the United outfield players - 91%.

Obviously these are difficult times for Boumsong, who is naturally worried that his omission from United's starting line-up will affect his World Cup situation with France.

He is still a first-choice central defender for France and at the moment his situation at St James' Park does not appear to be having an averse affect on this.

But Boumsong's long-term future as a United player also has to be in doubt and, after his mistakes this season have been frequently highlighted on Match of the Day, there will not exactly be a queue of Premiership clubs waiting for him should he be made available in the summer.

Never mind fitness, he could do with a couple of games away from the limelight to give him back some confidence.  I'd play him tbh.

120039[/snapback]

I am not to sure about his future...

From SSN:

Newcastle United defender Jean-Alain Boumsong has reportedly become a target for former club Rangers.

Some inconsistent performances this term have seen the Frenchman lose his starting place at St James' Park with speculation increasing about a possible move away from the North East.

New Gers boss Paul Le Guen is already on the lookout for players to improve his squad in the summer and is thought to have met with Boumsong about a possible move back north of the border.

The lack of playing time under Glenn Roeder could also cost the powerful centre back a place in France's World Cup starting line-up in Germany.

French national team coach Raymond Domenech is becoming increasingly worried by the lack of action for Boumsong and could turn to Chelsea defender William Gallas to partner Lilian Thuram in the heart of Les Bleus' defence.

Meanwhile, Roma's Philippe Mexes and Manchester United defender Mikael Silvestre have both brought themselves back into Domenech's plans for the World Cup after some impressive displays for their club teams of late.