Shearer doubt for season opener

Shearergol

Newcastle's preparations for the new season have been hit by the news that skipper Alan Shearer may miss Sunday's opener at Arsenal.

Shearer, still struggling with a calf injury that sidelined him last weekend, is not going to Dublin for Tuesday's friendly against Bray Wanderers.

The forward, 35 on Saturday, will remain on Tyneside for more treatment.

"At this moment in time he is a slight doubt for the game at Arsenal," boss Graeme Souness told the club website.

With Shola Ameobi suspended for the opening two games of the campaign, Souness is desperate to get the inspirational Shearer back to full fitness.

We are hopeful he will be okay but we will have to wait and see," he added.

Should Shearer miss out, Kieron Dyer and youngsters Michael Chopra and James Milner would be the only alternatives, given the summer exits of both Craig Bellamy and Patrick Kluivert.

The Magpies have expressed an interest in Real Madrid striker Michael Owen but that has yet to become anything concrete.

Goalkeeper Shay Given will not travel to Ireland either as he attempts to shake off a knock and he is also a doubt for the weekend, while Souness will be careful with some of his other big names.

"Ameobi will not play at Bray. Prior to Saturday against Yeading, he had not played for a couple of months because of his injury and he is a bit stiff," added Souness.

"We are being cautious with Kieron Dyer as well and the same goes for Scott Parker. The pitches are rock hard at the moment and we do not want to risk any muscle problems."

Inter Milan defender Francesco Coco is expected to play as United attempt to tie up a loan deal to bring him to St James' Park, while defender Craig Moore will be involved.

So, Given & Shearer aren't going. Dyer & Parker won't be risked due the "rock hard" pitches. What the hell was the point of having this match then?

9314[/snapback]

Golf trip?

christ then , who have we upfront for sundays game, chopra and shola?...........dyer also,on second thoughts could be a blessing in disguise

9324[/snapback]

Shola is suspended

9329[/snapback]

shit yeah he is , we should confuse arsenil , put elliot and dyer up front :drinks:

Wouldn't surprise me if we saw some unknown French striker or someone on Loan for a month.

9337[/snapback]

I'll be surprised if we get anybody the way it's going.

I'd be a lot more confident getting a result on Sunday if we had...

Given

Carr

Bernard

Boumsong

Taylor

Dyer

Robert

Emre

Parker

Kluivert

Bellamy

than the XI we'll see out there on Sunday.

Given

Carr

Coco

Boumsong

Taylor

Dyer

Milner?

Emre

Parker

Bowyer

Chopra?

Aye, so would it be better to leave it?  I thought the Owen thing would have been moving more today?  Maybe it is behind the scenes but IMO not with us.

Man im depressed.

9409[/snapback]

lol jesus you guys, did you really think despite owen turning us down at least twice that at the last minute he would settle for coming to a team like newcastle in complete disarray and out of europe already??? Im expecting to see dyer and chopra up front on sunday, bet arsenal wont know whats hit them!

Haha Zico

I was reading the Mag t'other night and I read the article on the Fulham match when Wor Al was "dropped"

Maybe it could be similar to that match :drinks: But I would rather have Al in the team anyday.

Think it's better to play Dyer up front because of his pace but I'm very worried about the prospect of him playing up front next to Chopra especially against Arsenal.

For the love of God if we'd signed Anelka and Owen by now it wouldn't matter. :drinks: Absolute shambles how Souey or whoever's responsible didn't see this coming.