Owen takes step towards comeback

Craig

Newcastle and England striker Michael Owen has taken a significant step on the road to his return from injury.

With the World Cup 57 days away, Owen, 26, has worn his football boots for the first time since breaking a bone in his foot on 31 December 2005.

Owen did some light training under the watchful eye of physio Derek Wright.

"It's onwards and upwards for Michael. I'm confident he'll play for Newcastle before the end of the season," said Newcastle boss Glenn Roeder.

Owen was expected to be out for eight to 10 weeks after having a metal pin inserted in his right foot - but his return to fitness has taken longer than expected.

He had a second operation in March, sparking fears that he might miss the World Cup finals in Germany.

But Roeder added: "Michael put his boots on and did some running with them on.

"He did a very little bit of ball work as well and after the session he was very happy."

Newcastle have five Premiership fixtures left this season, the last of them at home to Chelsea on 7 May.

England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson must name his squad by 15 May, while his team's World Cup campaign begins against Paraguay on 10 June.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ted/4907454.stm

having the only player in our team who can score goals does us no good whatsoever?

120773[/snapback]

Not for one game against Chelsea where he'll be rushing back. Look at the bigger picture grasshopper.

sure manu wont be saying that when they are 1 or 2 points behind on the last day of the season. also, owens already said he wants 1 game under his belt before the worldcup to avoid the inevitable shit hel get off the media about not being fit. plus hel want to play in shearers last game for the club.

sure manu wont be saying that when they are 1 or 2 points behind on the last day of the season. also, owens already said he wants 1 game under his belt before the worldcup to avoid the inevitable shit hel get off the media about not being fit. plus hel want to play in shearers last game for the club.

120777[/snapback]

Not one valid reason why NEWCASTLE should play him tbh.

Who gives a fuck about Man U, Chelsea, England or (tbph) a testimonial?

Guest CrimsonFault
Although I don't want us to rush him back and injure him for the World Cup, we do still have the possibility of the inter-two-bob to play for.

120800[/snapback]

He'll be injured for that with his hamstring.

He'll only play the key games.

Although I don't want us to rush him back and injure him for the World Cup, we do still have the possibility of the inter-two-bob to play for.

120800[/snapback]

If not more.

Not entirely sure what 7th place gets you, but a good run between now and May could put us up there. If we win tomorrow and West Ham and Bolton both drop points we can go joint 7th.

Guest CrimsonFault
Some great pics from todays training... :)

Click

121273[/snapback]

I don't know why but seeing him kicking a ball about brings a smile to my face. :blush:

121279[/snapback]

Gay.

120800[/snapback]

If not more.

Not entirely sure what 7th place gets you, but a good run between now and May could put us up there. If we win tomorrow and West Ham and Bolton both drop points we can go joint 7th.

121155[/snapback]

We went through this in the 'Europe still possible' (or whatever thread): We can only qualify for the UEFA by finishing 6th, which is pretty much impossible. We can qualify for intertoto, presuming we applied, by finishing above the other teams who did so. Finishing 7th would guarentee this, and therefore inter-two-bob status.