7 West Ham 34/49 pts

8 Bolton 33/48 pts

9 Newcastle 34/48 pts

10 Wigan 34/ 48 pts

11 Everton 34/45 pts

12 Charlton 34/44 pts

13 Man City 34/40 pts

14 Middlesbrough 33/40 pts

Does 7th place definitely guarantee a UEFA Cup spot then? If it does, we've certainly got a chance if we win on Monday.

Pearce's Man City down to 13th...

Europe, here we come! :lol:

The Evening Chronicle explains:

As usual, UEFA will award the top four of the Premiership a place in the Champions League.

UEFA Cup slots go to the League and FA Cup winners as a rule, but this has been re-jigged slightly.

Fifth place is guaranteed a UEFA Cup place and ordinarily a place each goes to the FA Cup winners and the Carling Cup winners.

However, Manchester United's triumph in Cardiff and inevitable Champions League qualification means they do not require their place in the UEFA, meaning the sixth-placed team will now take that slot.

United, though, are eight points adrift of Arsenal, who hold that place, and have played a game more.

But there are ramifications.

This season the FA Cup runners-up will get the slot allotted to the winners should they have already qualified for the Champions League - and with Chelsea and Liverpool taking on Charlton, Middlesbrough or West Ham in the final, that could well be the case.

Yet should Boro win the UEFA Cup and reach the FA Cup Final, the slot that the runners-up in Cardiff would have been handed will then go to the seventh-placed team.

But if Arsenal can emulate Liverpool last season and win the Champions League, it would be them, and not fourth-placed Spurs, who would bag the fourth European Cup position, with Martin Jol's side having to settle for the UEFA.

Meanwhile, the criteria for the InterToto means that the highest placed applicant gets the spot, providing they finish no more than four places beneath a UEFA Cup position.

Wigan and West Ham have not applied for the InterToto, with Wigan manager Paul Jewell wary of the tournament after his former club Bradford City's involvement contributed to their relegation back in 2001.

So at the moment it is all ifs and buts, with even UEFA officials intrigued by the final outcome of the Premiership's final run-in.

A UEFA spokesman told the Chronicle today: "Anybody as low as seventh could still finish in a UEFA Cup place, but it would depend on Middlesbrough going all of the way and winning this season's UEFA Cup, as well as reaching the FA Cup final.

"Even though the season is almost at a close there are still a few different outcomes.

"England's successful applicant in the InterToto will be the highest-placed team in the Premiership that has not already qualified for the UEFA Cup, and they will join in the third round."

They will then play a two-leg tie and, if successful, will go through to the second UEFA Cup qualifying round.

Under the new format, three rounds will be played in the competition, instead of five. The 11 victorious teams from the InterToto Cup third round will go through to the second qualifying round of the UEFA Cup. Each country only has one place.

Seeing as UEFA for finishing 7th is reliant upon the chemical brothers winning their eponymous tournement, it looks unlikely. Have we definitley applied to the intertoto?

121583[/snapback]

It seems that way, but so have Bolton...

i wonder how many people who chastised me for saying i was glad boro got into the semis will be supporting them now?

121588[/snapback]

I don't want them to win it !

i wonder how many people who chastised me for saying i was glad boro got into the semis will be supporting them now?

121588[/snapback]

I don't want them to win it !

121593[/snapback]

Neither do i.

uefa cup means fuck all these days anyway, there's not that much money in it, and players dont care about it either. the Champions League is where it is, obviously.

are you telling me if it come down to smogs winning the uefa cup and us getting in it, or them losing and us playing in the intertoto youd pick the latter!?

121601[/snapback]

I would.

I would rather see us take a chance in the Inter-Toenail or not qualify at all than see the Smogs lift the UEFA Cup.

The thing is, we should qualify from the intertoto anyway (if we take it seriously) and it will give us more summer games, which I am all for. If Boro win the UEFA cup, we will never hear the end of it. And they really don't deserve it, the two-headed twats.

If we can end the season in 7th place (whatever it may or may not get us) its a hell of an effort by Roeder considering the abject heap of shite Souness left behind that was heading straight for relelgation.

Overall Roeder's record in the prem has been excellent. He's lost away to manu when they were on probably their best run of form in years and at home to the current european champions neither of which is a disgrace. The only slip ups would be against Charlton really.

And he's done it all with just as many injuries as Souness, done it without any games from Owen, done it with at times only 4 fit defenders (and 1 of those was Boumsong!), yet never felt the need to whinge about injuries constantly.

are you telling me if it come down to smogs winning the uefa cup and us getting in it, or them losing and us playing in the intertoto youd pick the latter!?

121601[/snapback]

I would.

121607[/snapback]

Moi aussi.

121613[/snapback]

bit of a no brainer really, i would think most fans would.

121601[/snapback]

I would.

121607[/snapback]

Moi aussi.

121613[/snapback]

121656[/snapback]

most fans would rather see their rivals do badly than their own team do well :lol:

not sure i see the logic in that. im a newcastle fan first, a smog hater second.

most fans would rather see their rivals do badly than their own team do well  :lol:

not sure i see the logic in that. im a newcastle fan first, a smog hater second.

121962[/snapback]

I have yet to see anyone state they never wanted Newcastle to do well...

Guest CrimsonFault

121601[/snapback]

I would.

121607[/snapback]

Moi aussi.

121613[/snapback]

121656[/snapback]

most fans would rather see their rivals do badly than their own team do well :lol:

121962[/snapback]

were do blyth and sunderland come into the equation? :)

J69 it's all relative. In my opinion, UEFA Cup qualification is not enough to make me want Boro to win a European trophy, in the same way I would sacrifice three points if it meant sunderland didn't win the league (hypothetically speaking, since I can't see it being an issue :lol:)

Champions League would be a different story. The UEFA Cup is worthless unless you get to the final, otherwise it's just too many games, paying ridiculous prices to sit in SJP and freeze to death every other Thursday watching us play teams from Israeli mountain villages.

Edited by Wullie