Help ! Networking problems !!!

Jimbo

I'm wanting to share my internet connection to my kids PC and maybe printer sharing too, I've connected both machines via a patch lead and both machines have the Local area connection showing, I've given each PC a name and a common workgroup name, I've run the XP Network setup wizard on both machines but I can't get them to talk to eachother or share internet.

HELLLLLLLPPPPP !!!!!

have you marked the file folders for sharing?

Check your firewall settings on ALL machines

121751[/snapback]

Yes and yes.

What is the cable connecting them?

If its serial or parallel cable you need a DB25 male connections for Parallel AND THEY MUST BE SPECIFICICALLY DESIGNED for PC to PC connectivity

any old rubbish will not do

also

On the MAIN machine

In the Wizard when you get to the "Network Connection Type" page click on "Set up an Advanced Connection" and make sure you click ON "Accept Incoming Connections" then NEXT then select port or Modem , do not accept VPN, and then you get the "USers permisions page" - set the correct users/permissions on here and work your way through to the " NETWORK SOftware" page and specify components to be used

On the GUEST machine geto Advanced Connection page and select "Connect directly to another computer" then choose "GUEST" then name (this can be local to this machine) then Port then out

To establish the connection

Start/Connect/ Show all Conenctions

Conenct Dialog Box - enter user name FOR THE OTHER COMPUTER etc

hit connect

if this doesn't work try switching HOST & GUEST functions between the machines

Direct links can be a bugger for unknown reasons............

I think I've sussed why its not working, I've been using a patch cable rather than a crossover cable.

but shhhhh don't tell anyone !

What is the cable connecting them?

If its serial or parallel cable  you need a DB25 male connections for Parallel AND THEY MUST BE SPECIFICICALLY DESIGNED  for PC to PC connectivity

121925[/snapback]

DB25 is a bit retro. He could use two cups and some string.

Must admit, done the patch/crossover thing myself. :lol:

Must admit, done the patch/crossover thing myself.  :)

121993[/snapback]

All our patch leads at work are green, our voice cables are blue and our crossovers are pink....

You won't believe the amount of IT staff who've tried to patch a PC with a pink cable, and no, I'm not one of them! :lol: