If West Ham finish 7th & get to Cup Final...

Optimistic Nut

Like it or not, we are going to be compared to our neighbours, and our closest neighbours next year will be Boro. Bragging rights does come into it, as is totally apparent J69 if you have ever been taunted by a mutant because they won the fizzy pop cup. They are rivals, and I do not want them to win anything at all. Ever. Neither do I want them reminding me that we are in the UEFA on the back of their success.

Plus, I quite like competitive summer games. We will qualify anyway I reckon.

121989[/snapback]

I agree. The 'we really don't care what you do honest' attitude held by most about Boro (including nufc.com in their latest waffle) is bollocks IMO. They're not as big rivals as Sunderland but I still fucking hate seeing them win things.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You do get an automatic UEFA Cup place if you win it.

122028[/snapback]

Strange, seen as up until last season you didn't if you won the Champions League. Why do it for one UEFA competition and not the other?

Especially seen as if you win The European Championships you still have to qualify as well. Weird for UEFA to break with their rules for the UEFA cup.

Strange, seen as up until last season you didn't if you won the Champions League. Why do it for one UEFA competition and not the other?

122101[/snapback]

you did though. It was left up to the discretion of the individual F.A who were meant to make the choice U.E.F.A wanted like the spanish F.A did. That's why uefa changed it immediately as they realised not all FA had their same thought procesess.

I swear typing this feels familiar

122101[/snapback]

you did though. It was left up to the discretion of the individual F.A who were meant to make the choice U.E.F.A wanted like the spanish F.A did. That's why uefa changed it immediately as they realised not all FA had their same thought procesess.

I swear typing this feels familiar

122109[/snapback]

So you don't get automatic entry then because another team loses out. England didn't get 5 places straight away last season and they'll only get 4 this season.

So, why would UEFA award another place in the UEFA cup to the English FA. Surely, going by that logic a UEFA Cup place would be removed from somewhere else if Boro were to win the UEFA Cup?

Am I right in thinking that UEFA have closed the loophole so that the Champions League winners qualify for next year's tournament but that they haven't done the same for the UEFA Cup? Crazy if true.

Easy break down here...

UEFA is given to;

5th place in EPL

FA Cup Winner

LC Winner

As Man Utd won the LC then 6th spot gets a UEFA

Whoever gets into the FA cup final out of Boro or West Ham get the FA cup spot as runners up.... is that correct? But if Boro win the UEFA cup then as winners they have an automatic spot now dont they? So that spot would then go to 7th spot... I thought this was going to be easy to think about but it is stupid. The FA or UEFA need to come out and just explain it in basic terms :lol:

Am I right in thinking that UEFA have closed the loophole so that the Champions League winners qualify for next year's tournament but that they haven't done the same for the UEFA Cup? Crazy if true.

123012[/snapback]

I think you're wrong, and both loopholes have been closed.

123012[/snapback]

I think you're wrong, and both loopholes have been closed.

123034[/snapback]

OK makes sense, just going off what O-Nut said above, didn't think even they'd be that daft.

I don't think UEFA changed owt. They just reiterated it was down to the FA in each country to reward as they see fit. It was a one off due to sponsor pressure that Liverpool were allowed to qualify.

The FA said if the winners of a competition haven't qualified on league position then they'll take the place of the lowest qualifier.

Sooo if Arsenal win the Champions league they'll go into next years AND SPURS (4th place)WON'T. By the same token I deduce that if Boro win the UEFA and don't qualify by either the league or cup, then they will get the UEFA cup place that 6th currently take.

I don't think 7th place comes into it other than Intertoto, but even then, that could go to Blackburn (in 6th) in the current situation (if they wanted it and Boro won the UEFA).

Edited by Happy Face

I don't think UEFA changed owt.  They just reiterated it was down to the FA in each country to reward as they see fit.  It was a one off due to sponsor pressure that Liverpool were allowed to qualify.

The FA said if the winners of a competition haven't qualified on league position then they'll take the place of the lowest qualifier.

Sooo  if Arsenal win the Champions league they'll go into next years AND SPURS (4th place)WON'T.  By the same token I deduce that if Boro win the UEFA and don't qualify by either the league or cup, then they will get the UEFA cup place that 6th currently take.

I don't think 7th place comes into it other than Intertoto, but even then, that could go to Blackburn (in 6th) in the current situation (if they wanted it and Boro won the UEFA).

123112[/snapback]

so why is everyone getting 'excited' about the chance of getting into Europe then? I blame Peasepud tbh

Edited by zico martin

so why is everyone gettign 'excited' about the chance of getting into Europe then?  I blame Peasepud tbh

123118[/snapback]

Dunno, the only European place is Blackburns to lose.

Basically our only way in is to get four more points from West Brom, Birmingham and Chelsea than they get from Birmingham, Charlton, Chelsea and Man City.

Intertoto will do though.

so why is everyone gettign 'excited' about the chance of getting into Europe then?  I blame Peasepud tbh

123118[/snapback]

Dunno, the only European place is Blackburns to lose.

Basically our only way in is to get four more points from West Brom, Birmingham and Chelsea than they get from Birmingham, Charlton, Chelsea and Man City.

Intertoto will do though.

123125[/snapback]

oh yeah so as long as Boro dont win the UEFA cup, we would qualify for the intertoto by finishing 7th. Another reason not to want that to happen, hurrah! Or have I still not got the point!

oh yeah so as long as Boro dont win the UEFA cup, we would qualify for the intertoto by finishing 7th.  Another reason not to want that to happen, hurrah!  Or have I still not got the point!

123131[/snapback]

Aye, this is how I see it

If we finish 7th (possibleand perhaps likely)

(1)If Boro get to the FA cup Final - rest easy they get their place off that, 7th will get us our Intertoto spot.

(2)If they don't get to the FA cup final:

(2a)If they don't win the UEFA Cup - rest easy, 7th will get us our Intertoto spot.

(2b)If they do win the UEFA Cup - Bassas take Blackburns 6th spot place and Blackburn can enter the Intertoto.

If we finish 6th (mathematically possible but unikely)

(1)If Boro get to the FA cup Final - rest easy they get their place off that, 6th will get us straight into Europe.

(2)If they don't get to the FA cup final:

(2a)If they don't win the UEFA Cup - rest easy, 6th will get us our UEFA spot.

(2b)If they do win the UEFA Cup - Bassas take Our 6th spot place and we have to enter the Intertoto.

Edited by Happy Face

oh yeah so as long as Boro dont win the UEFA cup, we would qualify for the intertoto by finishing 7th.  Another reason not to want that to happen, hurrah!  Or have I still not got the point!

123131[/snapback]

(1)If Boro get to the FA cup Final - rest easy they get their place off that, 7th will get us our Intertoto spot.

(2)If they don't win the FA cup:

(2a)If they don't win the UEFA Cup - rest easy, 7th will get us our Intertoto spot.

(2b)If they do win the UEFA Cup - Bassas take Blackburns 6th spot place and Blackburn can enter the Intertoto.

(1)If Boro get to the FA cup Final - rest easy they get their place off that, 6th will get us straight into Europe.

(2b)If they do win the UEFA Cup - Bassas take Our 6th spot place and we have to enter the Intertoto.

123139[/snapback]

when you say '(2) If they don't win the FA cup' do you infact mean 'If they dont get to the final'? otherwise I still dont get in!

I guess that if we finish 7th the only way we miss out completely is if Boro win the uefa cup unless they also get the cup final as well.

Jesus Im knackered thinking about all this! Better than working mind :lol:

123131[/snapback]

123139[/snapback]

when you say '(2) If they don't win the FA cup' do you infact mean 'If they dont get to the final'? otherwise I still dont get in!

I guess that if we finish 7th the only way we miss out completely is if Boro win the uefa cup unless they also get the cup final as well.

Jesus Im knackered thinking about all this! Better than working mind :lol:

123152[/snapback]

Aye, sorry, I'll amend it.

It's a shame Boro would have to be shite not to win it. But good that they've probably got the beating of West Ham.

I can't remember where people were saying we'll need to hope Boro win. No such danger, if they win fuck all it'll be fine.

Hope Arsenal beat them on Saturday like.

124298[/snapback]

Me too, I hate Spurs. I do find it hilarious that last year Liverpool almost entered the CL at the expense of their rivals, Everton, and this year Arsenal could do the same to Spurs. :lol: