Sparky Hughes

Scottish Mag

MARK HUGHES is the No.1 contender to become Newcastle boss this summer - ahead of Martin O'Neill.

And that will present the former Manchester United and Chelsea star with a huge dilemma that could trigger a major summer managerial merry-go-round.

Hughes has done an outstanding job at Blackburn since taking over from Graeme Souness last season.

And the former Welsh international boss is now expected to be handed the chance to follow Souness again - this time into the St James' Park hot-seat.

Chairman Freddy Shepherd has almost run out of patience with O'Neill and has drawn up an alternative short-list.

And Hughes tops the pile.

Although Glenn Roeder has steadied the ship with some impressive results after taking over as caretaker boss, Shepherd is looking for a long-term solution - and Hughes is the man he wants.

That will cause massive unease at Rovers, who have been delighted with the quiet authority Hughes has shown in turning Blackburn into a team who are close to securing a place in next season's UEFA Cup.

It will also present 'Sparky' with a major decision - whether to stay and finish the job at Blackburn, especially if they make it into Europe, or take control of one of the Premiership's biggest clubs.

One of the frustrations for Hughes is the lack of a big support at Blackburn, who cannot compete with the 50,000- strong Toon Army which regularly fills St James' Park.

Hughes is quietly ambitious and already has been marked as a potential successor to Sir Alex Ferguson when he finally decides to end his reign at Manchester United.

Hughes would have no conflict with the retiring Alan Shearer - tipped as a future Toon boss - and he would be given a bigger transfer budget than at Rovers.

If Hughes does decide to accept an invitation from Shepherd it could spark a series of moves - with jobs at Fulham, Middlesbrough, Charlton, Aston Villa, Birmingham and, of course, Blackburn all potentially up for grabs.

If he stays loyal to Blackburn, Toon chief Shepherd will turn to the other names on his alternative list.

They include Sam Allardyce, Paul Jewell, Alan Curbishley and Villarreal boss Manuel Pellegrini.

Who's reporting this one Ritchie? And when the hell did Pellegrini get linked or is this just artistic licence from a reporter?

Guest CrimsonFault

I'd be delighted with Hughes.

We also know that Bellamy DOES have a £6m get-out-clause in his contract. (In the Beeb rumour mill)

We also know that Bellamy DOES have a £6m get-out-clause in his contract. (In the Beeb rumour mill)

121763[/snapback]

You're putting your money on a ditty in the NOTW then? :lol:

Mind you if it IS true you can forget about him coming here, or did you just gloss over the bit about it allowing him to join a club in the CL? :)

Guest CrimsonFault

121763[/snapback]

Mind you if it IS true you can forget about him coming here, or did you just gloss over the bit about it allowing him to join a club in the CL? :)

121764[/snapback]

:lol:

We will be a Champions League team next season. So Bellamy can stay with Blackburn for another season - plenty of time for him to fall out with players and fans etc - making the way for him to come home.

121763[/snapback]

121764[/snapback]

We will be a Champions League team next season. So Bellamy can stay with Blackburn for another season - plenty of time for him to fall out with players and fans etc - making the way for him to come home.

121765[/snapback]

Bollocks.

Guest CrimsonFault

121763[/snapback]

121764[/snapback]

121765[/snapback]

Bollocks.

121773[/snapback]

I should have insterted the [sarcasm][/sarcasm] tags in there.

That poisoned dwarf and schister David Speedie *spits* was on talkSPORT this morning and was asked about the speculation linking Hughes with us.

'I don't think Hughes will go anywhere. They [Newcastle] are a big club but so are Blackburn now :lol::)

Wanker of the highest order. Speedie, that is.

That poisoned dwarf and schister David Speedie *spits* was on talkSPORT this morning and was asked about the speculation linking Hughes with us.

'I don't think Hughes will go anywhere. They [Newcastle] are a big club but so are Blackburn now :lol:  :)

Wanker of the highest order. Speedie, that is.

121864[/snapback]

I value Speedie's opinion about as much as I do Bernie Slaven's.....

They're both a pair of cock-ends!

O'Neill is still number one target.

121905[/snapback]

For Boro maybe :lol:

I get a feeling i'm not going to be making any money off my O'Neill bet, if he was coming I reckon we'd have him by now.

Also, anyone noticed O'Neill hasn't said a thing regarding either job, absolutely silent.

Also, anyone noticed O'Neill hasn't said a thing regarding either job, absolutely silent.

121910[/snapback]

Personally that doesn't worry me in the least. He's hardly gonna come out and say he's interested in either as he'd be cutting his nose off to spite his face.

Silence is surely better than flat denial?

Guest CrimsonFault
Reckon he'd bring Savage? :lol:

121832[/snapback]

And Dickov.

121836[/snapback]

Just like Bellamy with more experience tbh.

If Hughes does come here it'll be as a stepping stone to Old Trafford if he keeps on going the way he is at the minute (you've got to be impressed by what he's done with Blackburn).

121945[/snapback]

Yeh I reckon he'll succeed Fergie. Will probably turn us down in the hope that he can move to Man Utd in 2-3 years or whenever.

Not that long ago we were saying the same of Bruce though (and Robson before him).

I am impressed by what Hughes has achieved, although Blackburn's style is far from attractive.