Roeder for the managers job?

Scottish Mag

NEWCASTLE United are ready to stun football by appointing Glenn Roeder as boss in a new-look set-up at St James' Park.

Toon have been linked with some of the top young managers in the country since sacking Graeme Souness in February, but caretaker chief Roeder will be offered the job if he can take the club into the UEFA Cup.

He has insisted he does not want the job permanently, but now the former youth academy boss is close to being officially promoted after impressing chairman Freddy Shepherd with his cool head since taking charge.

The Geordie plan is for Roeder to be installed alongside a senior partner in a 'director of football' role - with Lyon chief Gerard Houllier top of the wanted list. Roeder is emerging as the leading candidate because of his good run of results - and snags with potential long-term replacements like Martin O'Neill.

The one-time West Ham manager will be offered the job if Newcastle finish the season in a European place. He could even get the nod if they finish the season in style but just miss out.

They face Sunderland today with stand-in bosses Roeder and Kevin Ball going head-to-head in a game where the winner will have a much improved chance of becoming their clubs' full-time managers.

Newcastle are six points off Blackburn in sixth place and a storming finish could transform their season.

Former Liverpool boss Houllier may be tempted to come back to England and his experience would help Roeder, whose only short-coming is his lack of expertise and experience in the transfer market.

To be fair, I'd rather have him than Curbishley, Allardyce and Jewell.

Still the gutless performances against Liverpool, Chelsea and Man Utd lead me to think it would still be a bad appointment.

Plus, if we lose today he's got no chance.

Guest CrimsonFault
Thanks Glenn for getting us out the shit, but to give him the job, "FOR THE LOVE OG GOD NOOOOOOOOO"

122148[/snapback]

Why not?

Having continuity is a great idea and worked for Liverpool. Chopping and changing, spending a season decimating the squad only to get sacked then looking for another manager is crazy....

I'd like to see Roeder given a chance. Sure he's not a "glamour" name but fuck he's got the team playing and winning with VERY limited resources (ie the same fit players that Souness had).

I like the idea of bringing in someone to oversee transfers, as well as having a better structure for the person who'll succeed him.

Guest CrimsonFault
Having continuity is a great idea and worked for Liverpool. Chopping and changing, spending a season decimating the squad only to get sacked then looking for another manager is crazy....

I'd like to see Roeder given a chance. Sure he's not a "glamour" name but fuck he's got the team playing and winning with VERY limited resources (ie the same fit players that Souness had).

I like the idea of bringing in someone to oversee transfers, as well as having a better structure for the person who'll succeed him.

122151[/snapback]

Exactly, Roeder has the potential to be a top TOP manager here. The way he has handelled the Boumsong and Luque situation is light years ahead of the way Souness would have done.

The only concern I have is his transfer record for West Ham.. signing Tomas Repka wasn't his shrewdest move.

Exactly, Roeder has the potential to be a top TOP manager here. The way he has handelled the Boumsong and Luque situation is light years ahead of the way Souness would have done.

The only concern I have is his transfer record for West Ham.. signing Tomas Repka wasn't his shrewdest move.

122152[/snapback]

I agree, though I guess every manager has his errors....Carl Cort?! :lol: I don't remember too much about his dealings at West Ham, but all I know is I like his demeanour and I'm sure everyone likes the turnaround in results.

He also has experience of the club and all the probable shenanigans that await a new manager (ie Freddie Shepherd :) )....

We could (and knowing Shepherd probably will) do a lot worse, although I think it's taking the easy option. So much for the "we've been doing loads of work, and there's plenty top names want the job" talk if this turns out to be true though.

Thanks Glenn for getting us out the shit, but to give him the job, "FOR THE LOVE OG GOD NOOOOOOOOO"

122148[/snapback]

Why not?

122149[/snapback]

With all due respect to GlennI think he's done very well, however my gut feeling says that ,long term, he is not the man to take us forward to the next level. Saying that I haven't a clue who would be.

However to say that he has handled the Luque and Boumsong situation in a far more professional way than Souness is hardly a compliment, monkeys in the zoo have better man managemnet skills than souness.

Bad move, I have plenty time for Roeder and am amazed at what he has managed with the same players Souness had however this is not a long term good move for the club. We were promised a big big name in football and we end up with Roeder?

Surely appointing a manager with a weak heart (or is that all sorted now?) would not be a steady move in the right direction?

Bad move, I have plenty time for Roeder and am amazed at what he has managed with the same players Souness had however this is not a long term good move for the club. We were promised a big big name in football and we end up with Roeder?

Surely appointing a manager with a weak heart (or is that all sorted now?) would not be a steady move in the right direction?

122158[/snapback]

A big name like who?

Ranieri? Allardyce?

I'm of the opinion that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Not every big name guarantees success and plenty of "lesser" names do very well.

122158[/snapback]

Brain tumour not weak heart I think.

On the pro side he seems to understand the club and have a genuine affection for the place. I dont think it would be a bad move as such but would be more consolidation than progress. Shepherd could do a lot worse though, which is everybodies worry (apart from leazes obv)

At the end of the day I believe that a good part of the revitalisation was down to the removal of Souness, whoever came in was on a winner. Dressing room morale must have been shot to shit and frankly we could have stuck Coco the Clown on the touchline and the players would have felt better for it.

Taking nothing away from Roeder there, the mans done well and is a true pro but (Im going to do an LM/ HTL here) I saw this happening months ago and posted it publically, my big worry was that we'd bin Souness put Roeder in charge, he'd have a good run and we'd give him the job, in 12 months time we'll be in the same position as we were 5 months ago.

We need a total change around, for too long we've had the same faces involved, Shearers gone at the end and its time to get rid of the likes of McDermott and anyone else from the Keegan/Dalglish/Souness stable. Start afresh with a real big name, proven world class manager bringing in his own team of people, if it takes two years to consolidate and build us into a force then so be it.

EDIT: I believe we could do worse than Roeder but we sure as hell deserve someone bigger and more accomplished.

However to say that he has handled the Luque and Boumsong situation in a far more professional way than Souness is hardly a compliment, monkeys in the zoo have better man managemnet skills than souness.

122157[/snapback]

And they're still both useless.

More press tittle-tattle imo.

Can anyone see Roeder taking the job and having to be second-in-command to a another bloke?? I can't see him being up for that at all.

Surely his response would be, 'If I'm good enough for the job, then I want to do it my way.' ???

122152[/snapback]

That should not be the benchmark tbh.

I like having someone as good as Roeder at the Academy, it's a very important role; I just hope this brief stint with the first team won't have reignited his need to be a top manager, and we end up losing him anyway.

122157[/snapback]

And they're still both useless.

122176[/snapback]

What he said.

All the compliments you can throw at Roeder. His handling of Boumsong and Luque isn't one of them. He hasn't exactly got the best out of them, has he?

I think Roeder's done an excellent job and his record in the prem as has been shown would see us in or around 4th place, but long term i'd like to see somebody else coming in, with Roeder remianing at the club however.

But as somebody said, there are far worse appointments than Roeder we could make, just that there are better ones we could make as well.