Wine

wykikitoon

My birds aunty and uncle a wine lovers and I visited them this weekend. They insisted I had a glass of the "Vin Ordiner" as Del Boy would say with my lunch. I enjoyed it and now have bought a bottle of Red and White wine to have a glass with my meals.

Anyway what the best way of storing them once opend? Isnt Red supposed to be left at room temp? And white chilled?

I like wine with a meal. A good earthy red sets off a steak perfectly and a good white can take a pretty bog standard Chicken dish to a classier level.

If it's drunk ina ccordance to the company it can lead onto a very enjoyable night with conversation, laughs and even the occasional enjoyable dip into pretentious japery

Can I just say that white wine is disgusting  :( The first time I had it I put it down to going all acidy as it had been left out but second time it was just as rank.

So I'm a red man.  :(

9581[/snapback]

For every ying, there's a yang!

No rouge pour moi, merci; it makes me vomit - literally! :P

White only thankyou. Vouvray (sp) is rather nice but I am no expert. I find that the more money you spend on the stuff, the worse it tastes.

Have been known to arse a bottle now and again as it is guaranteed to get the snake well and truly in the party mood! :(:drinks:

Can I just say that white wine is disgusting  :( The first time I had it I put it down to going all acidy as it had been left out but second time it was just as rank.

So I'm a red man.  :(

9581[/snapback]

For every ying, there's a yang!

No rouge pour moi, merci; it makes me vomit - literally! :P

White only thankyou. Vouvray (sp) is rather nice but I am no expert. I find that the more money you spend on the stuff, the worse it tastes.

Have been known to arse a bottle now and again as it is guaranteed to get the snake well and truly in the party mood! :(:drinks:

9594[/snapback]

Are you Kinga? :(

I'm a rose man myself. Quite keen on a drop of white as well but not overly drawn to rouge.

9597[/snapback]

Ah, Mateus Rose (sp). Now that is definitely worth a bottle now and again. And it looks good anarl. I surely must have bought the odd bottle or two in my dark and distant to impress some chick!!!!! :(:(:drinks:

Probably ended up pissed though and wrecked the moment! :P

If you're gonna buy wine, for god's sake spend some money....

You pay £2.99, expect it to be as rough as a hairy arsehole!

£5 should get you a decent bottle of either, £10 and you're on to a real winner...

As for temperature, you're right in that white should be served chilled and red served at room temperature. On top of that, red win should be allowed to 'breathe' before serving (get the cork out and leave the bottle open for about 10-15mins).

Check the 'legs' on a red wine as well - to do this, stick about an inch in the bottom of a wine glass and swill it so the centrifugal force sends it up the side of the glass.... The longer it takes to drain back down, the better the wine....

Favourite red? Chateauneuf des Papes - gorgeous stuff but a bit pricey, if you don't want to splash out as much some of the Chilean ones are very good! :drinks:

Whites? The australians ones are pretty nice as are the Californian ones. A lot of people think a Chardonnay is the mutt's nuts but i'm not a fan - far too dry for me....

£5 should get you a decent bottle of either, £10 and you're on to a real winner...

The rough logic behind this being that there are substantial fixed costs associated with wine production that do not vary dramatically whether you are drinking a 2 or 10 quid bottle of wine. i.e a £2.99 and a £10 bottle of wine might both cost about £1.50 to produce. So if you spend a bit more you get better value for money.

Once opened I tend to drink the whole bottle but if you insist on eeking out your entertainment I would just stick the cork back in upside down and leave the red wine on the side and the white in the fridge. Don't leave either for more than one night.

Red wine is often drunk too warm and white too cold. However, if you buy a bottle of white you do not like simply cool it to within an inch of its life and then drink - it will be relatively tasteless as the tasting chemicals are more active at higher temperatures.

Now imagine I said all of that in the voice of Brian Sewell. :drinks:

_38691261_sewell150.jpg

As for temperature, you're right in that white should be served chilled and red served at room temperature. On top of that, red win should be allowed to 'breathe' before serving (get the cork out and leave the bottle open for about 10-15mins).

Check the 'legs' on a red wine as well - to do this, stick about an inch in the bottom of a wine glass and swill it so the centrifugal force sends it up the side of the glass.... The longer it takes to drain back down, the better the wine....

Favourite red? Chateauneuf des Papes - gorgeous stuff but a bit pricey, if you don't want to splash out as much some of the Chilean ones are very good! :drinks:

Whites? The australians ones are pretty nice as are the Californian ones. A lot of people think a Chardonnay is the mutt's nuts but i'm not a fan - far too dry for me....

9607[/snapback]

You really are that horrible little man in the movie sideways, aren't you?

:P Actually my fave is pinot noir!

9607[/snapback]

Well, it's just that Wykiki asked how an open bottle is to be stored ... not served.

An open bottle should ever - regardless if red or white - be stored in the fridge. Only that slows down the oxidation. So you can save an open bottle for up to 2-3 days.

For the serving of wine: Yes basic rule, red warm, white cold. Though that's very basic. The younger and lighter the wine is, the cooler it is drunk - either if red or white. You don't drink a Primeur at room temperature. A heavy Riesling should be drunk at nearly the same temperature as a light red wine (~14 degree Celsius).

For the opening - a heavy red wine like a Shiraz or a well chilled Bordeaux. You should give it at least half an hour, better even more. A decanter is helpful either.

If you ever get invited to a wine tasting evening then go. They teach you how to taste a wine properly, and how to test for certain aspects of it (like Craig said with seeing how it drains down the glass). They also let you taste at least one expensive one. :drinks:

Saying that, you will get totally hammered at these things and tell the woman who used to be in The Bill that her tits look bigger in real life.

I like a white zinfandel. :drinks:  Or just white.

Red wine is minging.  Lukewarm pissy muck.

9681[/snapback]

As with footballers and managers you have no bloody clue when it comes to flair. :P

Zinfandel the grafter among wines. Ugh.

9681[/snapback]

As with footballers and managers you have no bloody clue when it comes to flair. :(

9690[/snapback]

What could a German possibly know about good taste? You're all sausages and sauerkraut man. :P

9681[/snapback]

As with footballers and managers you have no bloody clue when it comes to flair. :(

9690[/snapback]

What could a German possibly know about good taste? You're all sausages and sauerkraut man. :P

9705[/snapback]

Still a bit rich, an Englishman taking the piss out of other nation's taste in food. :(

I like a white zinfandel. B)  Or just white.

9681[/snapback]

As with footballers and managers you have no bloody clue when it comes to flair. ;)

9690[/snapback]

What could a German possibly know about good taste? You're all sausages and sauerkraut man. :lol:

9705[/snapback]

Still a bit rich, an Englishman taking the piss out of other nation's taste in food. ;)

9706[/snapback]

Indeed - but according to the French President its better than Finnish food................

;):D:lol::lol:

didn't we get 7 out of the top 14 european restaurants in a recent Poll?

and by recent Poll I don't mean EMMANUEL OLISADEBE

10312[/snapback]

How long have you been saving that one up?