Luque's Dedication To Winspear

Tooj

Exclusive Luque's Goal Is For Pal Paul

By Ian Willis

ALBERT Luque dedicated his first goal in English football to the man who guided him back to full fitness following the hamstring injury which has wrecked his debut season at St. James' Park.

Luque picked a great time to bag his first goal, putting the icing on the cake with the fourth goal in Monday's 4-1 win against Sunderland at the Stadium of Light 10 minutes after replacing Alan Shearer.

And in his only interview after the game, the Barcelona-born Spanish international was quick to heap praise on the Magpies' fitness coach, Paul Winsper.

Luque told nufc.co.uk: "I am very happy to get my first goal for Newcastle, and it means a great deal to me.

"It has been a tough season for me, and getting the injury so early in my career at Newcastle was not a good start for me.

"Windy (Winsper) has been very good with me, he has helped me all of the time and I am very grateful to him. His help is appreciated, and I dedicate my goal to him.

"I also want to thank my team-mates, because they have all stuck by me when things have not been going so well for me.

"They have all been very encouraging and supportive with me, and I thank them too.

"Finally, I want to say thank you to the supporters. They are the best, not just in England, but the best I have ever seen in my whole career.

"They have not seen the best of me, and they have been very patient while I have been injured.

"When I got the chance to score against Sunderland, I was determined to put the ball in the back of the net and it was a great relief to me when it went in.

"It was a special moment for me when that ball went in, especially in front of our fans. I know the game was a big, big occasion for them, and it was great to take part in it and even better to score.

"We are nearly at the end of the season now, but with only three games left I would like to get another goal or two for them because they are magnificent."

Luque has only started eight times for the Magpies since his big-money switch from Deportivo La Coruna back in August, though his 19-minute run out at the Stadium of Light was the tenth time he has come off the bench.

knows how to win over the fans doesnt he? :lol:

im extremely happy that he got the goal, he's a good lad and a quality player who's been very unlucky this season. Showed his quality in the goal, an henry-like finish

:lol:

122765[/snapback]

Not really, no. :lol:

I'm pleased he scored yesterday and I hope it makes a difference to his career here, but I'm not buying any of that stuff in the interview tbh. Actions required, not words.

122765[/snapback]

Not really, no. :lol:

I'm pleased he scored yesterday and I hope it makes a difference to his career here, but I'm not buying any of that stuff in the interview tbh. Actions required, not words.

122766[/snapback]

very true, couldnt agree more.

But he hasnt had too many chances to win us over with actions now has he, im just hoping he can get a good run now and be an asset next season

I wasn't convinced by the 'Henry like' finish in all honesty. Hopefully the goal will have given him the confidence boost he badly needed though.

Aye, it meant nowt unless he goes on to bag loads now. Whether he will get the chance depends on whether he stays. I hope he does, would save us a few quid. Hopefully as said this will give him a lift. With Shearer being out there is a chance he'll play upfront at somew point even as sub again.