David Brent soundboard

Craig

I reckon the cringworthy aspect of the office is the "Britishness" Alex alluded to.

The Office was the master of this, and Brent in particular. You can barely watch these bits out the corner of your eye, he's so embarassing:

The Dance

Pissed at nightclub (how real was that?)

The motivational speech

"Sacking" Dawn as a joke

Getting sacked and begging for his job

The talking telephone

The Corrs etc.....

Brilliant stuff. Oh and the dates on the christmas episode (including the blind date) are worth mentioning.

123677[/snapback]

Him and finchy at the quiz night was proper cringewrothy, especially when they "won" after Finchy threw Tim's shoe over the building.

123703[/snapback]

Finchy's character is based on Smooth-Operator - FACT.

123708[/snapback]

“Give me half hour with her I’d be up to me nuts in guts.”

123714[/snapback]

One in the bum, no harm done.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Character-driven pieces don't work with one-dimensional characters.

123578[/snapback]

How is David Brent one-dimensional? He's: a chilled-out entertainer; a philosopher-poet; a singer/song-writer; a philanthropist; and the father of one big happy family!

Can you give me an example of how it's predictable?

Are you saying that a parody accentuating a person's most obvious flaw does not work?

123589[/snapback]

You're wasting your time man. The real problem is as follows: the absence of a laughter track or a big Friends-esque sign saying "HERE COMES THE PUNCHLINE" meant that he had to work out for himself where the jokes were, and it ruined it for him. :lol:

123593[/snapback]

You're becoming very dull, Gemmill. I'm beginning to see certain others' point(s) regarding you.

123600[/snapback]

Overreact much? What points would those be then?

123605[/snapback]

Predictable, one-dimensional etc

So our company in one of its attempts to gain credibility and press coverage arranged a vist from the Minister of Works an Pensions last year. Unfortunately for me my area is where his constituency is based, and our office is in a pretty cool old building

airporthouse1.jpg

which would look good for the press photos.

So it fell to me to do the meet and greet and a little presentation about the company. All the great and good of the company where in attendance and the esteemed Chairman was giving me chapter and verse about being enthusiastic and informative, "make sure you mention the big clients" etc.

Just as I was about to start my boss leaned over and whispered - careful you dont want to sound like Brent, and then stared at me smirking for the next fifteen minutes, as I jargon spoke rubbish like a bastard. Horrible.

Mind you I did get a picture of me with a Labour Minister-one for my Mothers wall that one