Shepherd holds Shearer hope

Isegrim

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?HLID=38...ball_Home&f=rss

Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd is refusing to rule out Alan Shearer from playing again before the end of the season.

Shearer is sweating over his fitness after picking up a knee injury in Easter Monday's win over rivals Sunderland.

It is feared that Shearer could be sidelined for the rest of the season which would bring a premature end to the player's career as he prepares to hang up his boots in the summer.

Shearer is due to undergo a scan on the injury on Thursday and Shepherd hopes the injury will not end the former England captain's career early.

"No I am not sure (if Shearer's season was over) you never say never with Alan Shearer because he has got a habit of coming back when people least expect it," Shepherd told Sky Sports News.

Shepherd is also ready to offer Shearer an ambassador's role at St James' Park as reward for his service to the club.

"Yes I am quite sure (of an ambassadorial role)," added Shepherd.

"He made it quite clear that he wanted to take a rest from football, but I am sure at Newcastle he will be involved.

"He is a big influence at the club. Everyone looks up to him and rightly so. He is a hero in Newcastle and in The Premiership.

"Well I am sure he will make one appearance to say goodbye to the supporters at St James' and they would even carry him on even to play the last couple of minutes."

Shepherd also remains hopeful of naming a new manager before the end of the current season.

The Magpies chief has taken his time in finding a replacement for Graeme Souness and he admits the search is still on.

"Nobody is ruled in and nobody is ruled out and we will make an announcement before the end of the season hopefully," noted Shepherd.

"Glenn Roeder has been fantastic and full marks to Glenn."

I actually don't have any problem with Fat Fred taking his time. I don't think it has done any harm so far and it won't until the end of the season. It is better to try to get the right man than making another rash appointment (although I still worry about what is going to happen if Bruce gets the sack).

I actually don't have any problem with Fat Fred taking his time. I don't think it has done any harm so far and it won't until the end of the season. It is better to try to get the right man than making another rash appointment (although I still worry about what is going to happen if Bruce gets the sack).

123178[/snapback]

I hope he'll be here for a couple of our last games, so he can make an informed decision on who stays and goes in the summer. Would have preferred someone to take over once we went out of the cup so they had more games, but anything will be better than nothing.

Edited by Happy Face

Surely after 2 months he must have ruled someone out?!

Its no wonder i've not had a reply to my application!

123185[/snapback]

Lost in the post

:lol:

Here's an idea Shepherd, keep your fucking mouth shut until Shearer's had the scan.

123195[/snapback]

And miss the opportunity of getting his fat mug and opinion in the press?

Never gonna happen tbh

Here's an idea Shepherd, keep your fucking mouth shut

123195[/snapback]

Surely that would mean he'd have to cut down on the food though

123205[/snapback]

Not exactly a bad thing tbh.

Here's an idea Shepherd, keep your fucking mouth shut

123195[/snapback]

Surely that would mean he'd have to cut down on the food though

123205[/snapback]

Not exactly a bad thing tbh.

123217[/snapback]

Indeed, world famine will become a thing of the past.....