Shearer's swelling is bad

Tom_NUFC

Just on Radio Five now.

Shearer has been in London to recieve a HMV Lifetime achievement award and has said that the swelling on his knee is worse than they had thought, and he's not having a scan now until Friday. He is 'not hopeful' of returning for the final three games.

Roeder was at the ceremony as well and has just spoken to Five Live and confirmed the above.

It's not confirmation that its the end for Shearer, but its not far off.

Let's face it, it's finished. It's been a pleasure and a privilege to have him in the team over the last 10 years, and the bloke is a true legend (not a "Nobby/Parker/etc.'s a legend", a proper NUFC legend) and easily the best English striker of his generation and one of the best ever, but we're not gonna see him play in a competitive game for us again.

Edited by Gemmill

Seems like it was yesterday when we signed him. The years have flew by...

He's finished as our all-time top goal scorer and has his last game against the mackems with a typical taken penalty against them contributing to our win. He’s contributed and won games alone for Newcastle in the time he's been here. It's a pity the rest of the team around him throughout his time here has not been good enough to help him win some silverware for the club.

He'll be proud of what he's achieved, but sad that he hasn't won anything and lifted the Premiership trophy in front of his own supporters at St James Park. When that time comes I hope the current captain steps aside and makes way for our one & only true captain to lift that trophy first.

I remember when wor Al and Ferdinand used to score goals for fun in a team that was the country's second favorite to watch.

How we're going to bring times like that back without him I'll never know.... :lol:

Edited by Geordie Boyo

I can remember the day he signed, I can remember the day he finished and whats even better I can remember the days inbetween. The mans a legend and i'll never forget the good times he's brought me.

Shearer is simply an all-time great of world football.

123339[/snapback]

Steady on.

123393[/snapback]

OK he's a second rate goal hanger. :lol:

Eusebio was in the paper recently saying that Shearer is one of the best centre forwards ever to play the game, and that he was hoping to get to SJP before the season ended to see him play. I'd be canny pleased with that if I was Shearer.

Eusebio was in the paper recently saying that Shearer is one of the best centre forwards ever to play the game, and that he was hoping to get to SJP before the season ended to see him play.  I'd be canny pleased with that if I was Shearer.

123491[/snapback]

World Soccer had a poll of the top 100 players of the 20th Century to mark the year 2000. Shearer was in the top 50. I'd say he was one of the all time greats. As I mentioned yesterday, only Jimmy Greaves has a better top-flight scoring record in England than Shearer post-war too.

I agree. You don't get this much fuss made over the retirement of just any player. Was in the shop last night and had a look at the front page of the Sport section in the Guardian, and it had a photo of Shearer taking the penalty, with the headline "Was this Alan Shearer's last ever goal?". It actually made me feel a bit sad to think about it like that. :lol: :lol:

Was in the shop last night and had a look at the front page of the Sport section in the Guardian, and it had a photo of Shearer taking the penalty, with the headline "Was this Alan Shearer's last ever goal?".  It actually made me feel a bit sad to think about it like that. :lol::icon_lol:

123498[/snapback]

haha Gemmill was stood in the queue crying!

Eusebio was in the paper recently saying that Shearer is one of the best centre forwards ever to play the game, and that he was hoping to get to SJP before the season ended to see him play.  I'd be canny pleased with that if I was Shearer.

123491[/snapback]

World Soccer had a poll of the top 100 players of the 20th Century to mark the year 2000. Shearer was in the top 50. I'd say he was one of the all time greats. As I mentioned yesterday, only Jimmy Greaves has a better top-flight scoring record in England than Shearer post-war too.

123496[/snapback]

Rush?

123491[/snapback]

123496[/snapback]

Rush?

123667[/snapback]

He's ahead of Rush I believe, at least in terms of English (top flight) league goals.

Also, Rush gets a deduction for the fact that his head is wider than his shoulders.  He tapers off from his waist up iirc.

123692[/snapback]

Loses further points for having a 'mini me' strike partner in John Aldridge. Possibly credited with several of Aldridge's goals in error.

Can't believe this thread has so many replies and no mention of the trousers incident or that picture after the penelty on Monday

123731[/snapback]

:lol: I thought about it, but couldn't be arsed to find the picture.

Shearer just been on SSN, he isn't giving much away but is looking happy enough and says there is a chance he may play a part before the end of the season, depends on what he is told tomorrow.

Shearer just been on SSN, he isn't giving much away but is looking happy enough and says there is a chance he may play a part before the end of the season, depends on what he is told tomorrow.

124599[/snapback]

:lol: don't know what to believe. This morning initial reports said the blow would keep him out for 8 weeks. But if this is from the man himself then ...

Well he wouldn't say anything concrete, just that this Sat was obviously out of the question, but he was smiling a lot more than usual and said he would be keeping everything crossed for tomorrow so perhaps things aren't as bad as first thought.