If not O'Neill, then Roeder

Gemmill

Having seen their record goalscorer’s playing career come to a premature close, Newcastle United are now on the verge of losing the manager who has revitalised their fortunes over the past three months. While the effect will be cosmetic, FA Premier League regulations dictate that Saturday’s home match against West Bromwich Albion will be Glenn Roeder’s last in his present role.

Lacking a Uefa Pro Licence, now the mandatory qualification for managers, Roeder will be formally required to relinquish his caretaker’s position before Newcastle’s match away to Birmingham City on Saturday week, when his 12-week dispensation comes to an end.

It is a farcical situation. Unlike the coaching-based Uefa A licence, which Roeder completed in 1999, the Pro Licence is a short academic course that covers topics such as time management, youth development and dealing with the demands of the media and agents. Roeder has, of course, already managed West Ham United for two full seasons in the Barclays Premiership.

Tommy Craig, the reserve-team coach, who possesses the necessary qualifications, will be installed in Roeder’s place next week, although the latter will continue to coach and select the first team and sit in the dugout. The club have been revitalised since Roeder replaced Graeme Souness in February. “Glenn has been fantastic. Full marks to him,” Freddy Shepherd, the chairman, said.

In 12 league matches under Roeder, Newcastle have amassed 25 points, a tally that has propelled them into contention for European competition. While injuries have continued to afflict them —  Owen,  Taylor, Emre  Parker, Bowyer and Ameobi all missed the 4-1 victory over Sunderland — they no longer define the club as they did under Souness.

Monday’s trouncing marked the three-year anniversary of Roeder’s collapse with a brain tumour; a reminder of perspectives, as well as of a talent that was questioned in the wake of West Ham’s relegation in 2003. Martin O’Neill is still Shepherd’s first choice to succeed Souness, but Roeder is now next on the list.

The chairman’s pursuit of a new manager has been hindered by the FA’s search for a successor to Sven-Göran Eriksson, but should his protracted courtship of O’Neill not be consummated, Roeder would be a popular alternative. A former Newcastle captain, Roeder may have softened his stance since he ruled himself out on the day of his appointment.

Could be bollocks like.

Edited by Gemmill

Although it would explain why we're not being actively linked with anyone - Shepherd waiting on O'Neill's decision before potentially having to turn to Roeder?

I'm theorising in a Taylor27 stylee though tbh.

Roeder is doing himself no harm whatsoever in terms of results, there seems to be a bond forming between him and the players and the crowd, although there is no room for centimentality in football, i would not be disapointed if in the long run, Roeder was given the job, especially as it seems the likes of O'Neill and Allardyce are showing no interest.

I heard Mancini's bought a flat down the quayside.

123509[/snapback]

I heard he'd bought a tent from Millets.

I heard Glen Roeder bought a Walker chippy and Mancini was buying a chip stottie with curry sauce and two cans of Dr Pepper (wouldn't put any money it though).

However, if FF did stick with Roeder, he's save a shitload of dollars. Probably be on a 1 year rolling contract as a "permenant" temporary boss.

FFS, get a new fella in...

I have to admit that I am falling into the 'comfortable' feeling regarding the appointment of Roeder, yet I don't think he's the right man for the job. The results and his interviews are making me feel good again :lol:

First choice was Hiddink and he's gone :angry: Might still end up as DoF though :angry:

Still not sure about O'Niell, though I think he's probably the best of the rest.

Got money on Ranieri, so he's got a lot going for him :icon_lol:

btw my mate's friend's uncle says that he heard Mancini has put his recently purchased flat in Byker on the market - looking for a quick sale.

Edited by snakehips

Talking of manager changes, there's a lad on N-O who thinks he's in line for two or three grand if they make Tommy Craig the "name only" manager after this weekend. Jesus wept tbh. :lol:

I'm still not sold on Roeder. Our performances against Man U, scousers Cheslea and Charlton were very poor.

I want a manager who can gee us up against the big clubs.

123552[/snapback]

We were shocking in the first half against the Mackems too.

Guest CrimsonFault
I'm still not sold on Roeder. Our performances against Man U, scousers Cheslea and Charlton were very poor.

123552[/snapback]

We were shocking in the first half against the Mackems too.

123553[/snapback]

But foursome in the second. :lol:

123552[/snapback]

Charlton excepted, we were never going to get much against those teams with the squad we had.

What I think a lot of people are forgetting is that Roeder has got results with the same players that Souness had AND he's had his fair share of injuries as well.

Tactically he's proved himself very well IMO, the big question is about whether he'd be able to wheel and deal in the transfer market with effect.

That is the ONLY reservation I have about appointing Roeder. He's not a big name - so what? Neither was Ferguson or Wenger before they jumped into management.

I'd rather take a chance on Roeder than pay someone like Villa or Brum compo for a manager who we know is not going to make the grade.

New, experienced manager with Roeder as a coach would do me. And that's not purely just on what he's done here. Joe Cole, Carrick et al had a lot of respect for him and I remember Cole in particular waxing lyrical about his coaching abilities whilst at West Ham. Roeder has done very well. We may have struggled against the top sides but under Roeder we've got 25 points from 12 games as opposed to 26 points from 23 games under Souness. When you consider the Owen factor for Souness too (i.e. our record when he was available) and the fact Roeder has had to do without him, the turnaround has been even more remarkable.

Houllier seems to be being linked with a DOF role, or at least has linked himself with one, with Roeder manager.

Bollocks more than likely.

123581[/snapback]

Might not be such a bad idea. It ain't exactly broken at the moment, so if/when Roeder starts fucking up, hoy the owld frog in...

I'd prefer him just to leapfrog him now, tbh... :lol:

New, experienced manager with Roeder as a coach would do me. And that's not purely just on what he's done here. Joe Cole, Carrick et al had a lot of respect for him and I remember Cole in particular waxing lyrical about his coaching abilities whilst at West Ham. Roeder has done very well. We may have struggled against the top sides but under Roeder we've got 25 points from 12 games as opposed to 26 points from 23 games under Souness. When you consider the Owen factor for Souness too (i.e. our record when he was available) and the fact Roeder has had to do without him, the turnaround has been even more remarkable.

123570[/snapback]

I was thinking about this yesterday. To be fair to Roeder you have to judge him by what was possible for him to achieve. Souness was always moaning about Lady Luck and injuries. But if it hadn't been for Owen Newcastle would have probably collected as much points as Sunderland during his reign. Roeder was left a totally depleted and unbalanced squad with injury problems even worse than what Souness had to suffer from. So I don't think the performances against the top teams are a real measure because there weren't equal opportunities. It would have needed a miracle (or serious help from Lady Luck) to get a result from these games.

I see nobody is missing the obivous downfall with Roeder......

He rates Shola highly  :icon_lol:

123622[/snapback]

Tbf, Shola has started to vaguely resemble a centre forward of late. :lol: