The Queen's Birthday

catmag

I've got no interest in the monarchy like. I can't believe people watch these programmes that they're putting on about "The Queen at 80". Who gives a shit! She should let Charles have a go anyway.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd love Charles to be king, it would drive support for the monachy right down, especially because it's some of the most eager royal bummers who want it to skip straight to william - sorry if you want to have a monarchy, then you get what you're fucking given, that's the point!

Edited by BlueStar

I've got no interest in the monarchy like.  I can't believe people watch these programmes that they're putting on about "The Queen at 80".  Who gives a shit!  She should let Charles have a go anyway.

125218[/snapback]

Fuck no - she's bad but the day he takes over I'm emigrating!

I've got no interest in the monarchy like.   I can't believe people watch these programmes that they're putting on about "The Queen at 80".   Who gives a shit!  She should let Charles have a go anyway.

125218[/snapback]

125223[/snapback]

Eh? You act as if it would make some difference to your life? In fact you act as if the Queen makes a difference to your life?? :lol:

125223[/snapback]

Charles is great, but I'd really like to see Philip usurp the throne and have the Queen shot. Not that I'm an ardent supporter of Nazism, or anything.

I'd love Charles to be king, it would drive support for the monachy right down, especially because it's some of the most eager royal bummers who want it to skip straight to william - sorry if you want to have a monarchy, then you get what you're fucking given, that's the point!

125222[/snapback]

Pop Idol public vote tbh, with both singing Prince and Queen covers. That'd be a truly modern monarchy for you.

Just don't agree with us paying for a bunch of mongs to live the fucking life of luxury. Heads of state should be elected, not born into it.

125222[/snapback]

Pop Idol public vote tbh, with both singing Prince and Queen covers. That'd be a truly modern monarchy for you.

125230[/snapback]

Love to see Charles doing the "....think I better dance now" bit in Kiss. :lol:

The little 'un's got the soundtrack to 'The Wizard of Oz'. The day Queenie snuffs it, I'm blasting 'Ding, dong the witch is dead' out of the stereo at full blast....

FACTAMUNDO! :lol:

125201[/snapback]

I'm intrigued as to why you feel that way. If you don't like her as a figurehead and what she represents, well you'll have nothing to celebrate as Charles/William will take her place.

Is it something about her personally you dislike?

I'd rather have land reform in this country, i.e. taking away some of the huge areas of land and property owned by the Royal family and the aristocracy than getting rid of the monarchy because if the former didn't also happen, the latter would be a complete waste of time.

I'd rather have land reform in this country, i.e. taking away some of the huge areas of land and property owned by the Royal family and the aristocracy than getting rid of the monarchy because if the former didn't also happen, the latter would be a complete waste of time.

125239[/snapback]

Guardians of the countryside though tbh. SMO goes hunting with them, so he does.

125239[/snapback]

Guardians of the countryside though tbh. SMO goes hunting with them, so he does.

125246[/snapback]

Aye, all those houses they own in London and get huge amounts of rent from would fall into that category :lol:

The little 'un's got the soundtrack to 'The Wizard of Oz'. The day Queenie snuffs it, I'm blasting 'Ding, dong the witch is dead' out of the stereo at full blast....

FACTAMUNDO! :lol:

125201[/snapback]

I'm intrigued as to why you feel that way. If you don't like her as a figurehead and what she represents, well you'll have nothing to celebrate as Charles/William will take her place.

Is it something about her personally you dislike?

125237[/snapback]

Indeed you're correct.

It's nothing personal to her - I can't stand the monarchy as a whole.

I don't mind the monarchy overall but I don't think the line should be hereditary, when the monarch dies I think the next one should be chosen at random from the electoral role, certainly less in breeding that way.

I don't mind the monarchy overall but I don't think the line should be hereditary, when the monarch dies I think the next one should be chosen at random from the electoral role, certainly less in breeding that way.

125382[/snapback]

Can we keep it hereditary if we hand the rights over to Endermol?

I'm not bothered about the Queen. I'm no great fan, but I don't hate her, just very indifferent really.

Would I have a Republic instead? I don't know. The system we have works. It's a Constitutional Monarchy and the Monarch is practically powerless and the ones that are there are ceremonial and if say the Queen refused to give laws passed in Parliament she'd simply be overridden and we'd kick the Royals out.

A Republic though may mean BIG changes to the political framework.

If we had say a US Style Presidency that would be a massive difference.

Even if we went down the French route of a President and Prime Minister, the PM wouldn't have the same influence as the position has now because the President is still the major political power in French politics.

The alternative is that we go for a system like Ireland or Germany, where the President is elected but plays much more a ceremonial role and it's the Taoiseach/Chancellor (PM for us) and the cabinet and government who make the important decisions, much like in our system.

Something like that would mean minimal changes to our system.

If we were to have a Republic that's the kind of system I would want, if it was to be like the other two - forget it, keep what we've got - if it ain't broke, don't fix it and all that.

Opponents of a Republic would say that we would lose out on tourism that the Royals bring in.

I'm not sure about that. Buckingham Palace is a big attraction, but Buckingham Palace does not belong to the Royal Family, it belongs to the state. Therefore, Buckingham Palace could serve nicely as a Presidential Palace, and there's no reason why ceremonies such as the Changing of the Guard etc couldn't continue.

It's also worth noting that one of the most popular attractions in Europe is the Palace of Versailles, the former court of French Kings, and it's been a while since they ditched their monarchy.

I'm fine with sticking with what we have, but I'm not against the idea of a Republic, as long as it's the right sort of Republic.

The Australians had a referendum on whether they should keep the Monarchy or go for a Republic about 6 or 7 years ago. They chose to keep the Queen. Not because the majority of Australians are staunch Monarchists, but because they didn't like the type of Republic on offer.

The queens birthday means as much to me as pretty much any other old woman who i don't know turning 80. i.e. fuck all.

As for the monarchy in general i say keep them as head of state etc, but make them pay the exact same taxes as everyone else in the country and stop paying them money just because they're royal. Give them the same tax status as normal citizens and the same level of police protection as any regular celebrity would get, as thats basically all they are.

Theres a lot of fawning going on the BBC site - people reacted badly to someone's (not me, honest guv) suggestion that you'd have to be stupid and/or brainwashed to in any way defend the institution.

I think its similar in a way to religion - intelligent, logical people seem to have a blindspot which prevents them from taking the few seconds of rational thought required to realise it has no place in modern world.

I didn't bother sending my suggested gift - a bullet with her name on it.

one has had a canny day although it was a tad boring.

Started out this morning by going for a wander around Windsor, Philip had said we'd go for a little drive into town so one had hoped to go spend the record tokens one had received for ones birthday but when we got there the place was heaving with old biddies waving flags. It took me blooming ages to get to the shops and by the time I did they didnt have any Shindig Classics left :lol:

one has had a canny day although it was a tad boring.

Started out this morning by going for a wander around Windsor, Philip had said we'd go for a little drive into town so one had hoped to go spend the record tokens one had received for ones birthday but when we got there the place was heaving with old biddies waving flags. It took me blooming ages to get to the shops and by the time I did they didnt have any Shindig Classics left :lol:

125736[/snapback]

Pwned :lol: