Coco deal off!!

Scottish Mag

This is getting worse. Can Souness & Bernard not swallow their pride and work together? I'm sure we'll be the best option left for him, so he may come for less than what we even offered him back in January!

9758[/snapback]

Thats exactly what i was thinking...

Don't forget Amdy Faye. He's there to protect the back four, so I'm told.

9760[/snapback]

I believe that Souness has Faye down as our playmaker this season, given his impeccable passing displays last season!

and if it really became bad, our genius manager will produce a bit of magic and play Chopra in the left back position!

9755[/snapback]

It's hard to believe it's only 3 years ago since we played Everton in the League Cup and a lot of Newcastle fans were saying Chopra was better than Rooney. :drinks:

Given his fitness record over the last two years, I'm not too bothered. The fact we haven't got a decent left-back does bother me though. As has been mentioned, Bernard would be the sensible option but I can't see Souness swallowing his pride on that matter.

Francesco Coco's planned loan move to Newcastle United has hit a snag - just four days before the season starts with Sunday's trip to Highbury and Arsenal.

The 28-year-old Italian has already returned home to Milan and it is difficult to see how the deal can be revived, leaving Graeme Souness with yet another problem.

Coco was actually named in Souness's side for last night's friendly with Bray Wanderers on the Irish coast - but he was pulled out at the last minute and I understand he boarded a plane for Italy instead.

United weren't saying much about the situation today, but as the Chronicle revealed last night, everything had to be right with the player and Inter Milan or there would be no deal.

Although former United left-back Olivier Bernard is still without a club there is absolutely no chance of the Frenchman returning to St James' Park.

Souness had planned to play Steven Taylor alongside Jean Alain Boumsong at the Carlisle Grounds last night and again at Highbury on Sunday.

But instead the United boss switched the youngster to left-back, and with Robbie Elliott out of favour after his clanger against Deportivo La Coruna in the Intertoto Cup at St James' Park last Wednesday night, it looks as though that's where Taylor will start on Sunday.

This would leave Aussie defender Craig Moore to make his Premiership

debut at Boumsong's shoulder against Arsenal on Sunday.

The departure of Coco is the last thing Souness wanted, especially as the left- back looked the part in Saturday's friendly victory over Yeading.

Indeed, it was problems all the way for Souness before United boarded the plane for Dublin and the team he intended playing bore no resemblance to the one that actually started.

United spent all day getting Emre a visa to travel to Dublin and it came just about the same time as the Turkish international was pulling out of the trip because of a niggle in his back.

Meanwhile, it was noticeable that before last night's match in Bray, both Souness and Freddy Shepherd virtually had their mobiles glued to their ears as United are still trying to get in a new face for Sunday.

Fulham's Luis Boa Morte looks the best bet, but I understand United have other irons in the fire.

One distraction United could do without is the situation between themselves, Celta Vigo and Hugo Viana.

United are rapidly losing patience with the Spanish outfit and Viana could soon find himself on a plane back to Newcastle if things are not sorted out quickly.