Shearer confirms career is over

Jimbo

from Sky Sports:

Alan Shearer's knee injury has ruled him out for the rest of the season, Sky Sports News understands, and his distinguished 18-year career is now over.

The Newcastle United legend picked up the medial ligament problem towards the end of Newcastle United's 4-1 win over Sunderland last week.

Shearer waited until the end of this week to have scans, but he was always pessimistic about his chances of returning.

Shearer, who has already become Newcastle's leading goalscorer of all time, had hoped to make the last three games - but that dream looks to have now been dashed - with The Magpies expected to officially confirm the news on Saturday.

Caretaker boss Glenn Roeder has already named Shay Given as captain for the last three games, knowing that Shearer was unlikely to make a return.

Shearer will now bid farewell to his adoring fans in his testimonial match on May 11 against Celtic - a game which sold out within days of the tickets going on sale.

Guest CrimsonFault
:lol:

125748[/snapback]

Calm down, he isn't dead just yet.

Unless you mean retire in peace, in which case fair play.

125753[/snapback]

That exactly what I mean.

We may not have won a trophy in the past 10 years, but I can always say I watched one of the greatest strikers, not only in the history of Newcastle United but the history of the English game, play for MY club.

My Dad was fortunate to have seen Milburn play for Newcastle - something which I would have loved to do. No doubt my son will feel the same way about Shearer.

1996-2006 - thanks for some wonderful memories Alan, the only regret I have is that you were never part of a team that was capable of winning silverware in your time here....

We may not have won a trophy in the past 10 years, but I can always say I watched one of the greatest strikers, not only in the history of Newcastle United but the history of the English game, play for MY club.

My Dad was fortunate to have seen Milburn play for Newcastle - something which I would have loved to do. No doubt my son will feel the same way about Shearer.

1996-2006 - thanks for some wonderful memories Alan, the only regret I have is that you were never part of a team that was capable of winning silverware in your time here....

125759[/snapback]

We were capable we just never went that extra final step :lol:

125759[/snapback]

125764[/snapback]

so true :lol:

125759[/snapback]

125764[/snapback]

so true :lol:

125769[/snapback]

Trut' so pure

Aye, tell you what though, I have some cracking memories from seeing him play. From the bust ups with Keane to some of the greatest goals, one of them being the win over Spurs in the FA Cup (Semi I think).

Glad I've got the tickets for the testimonial, give him the send off he deserves.