Yet another love story.

snakehips

Okay, so I lied. It's yet another thread about our manager appointment.

We have been creeping up the league almost stealth-like the past month, or so. I don't think many people would have put money on us being so high up the table, as we are today.

What Roeder has done is prove that we have a squad that, given the right coaching, is capable of beating the dross that lingers mid-table. This is to Roeder's credit, but it only goes to show what we are capable of given the right management. I don't think for one second we would be where we are now if Souness had been left in charge.

Now then, if we are capable of beating the mid-table shite then that points to us being a 6th or 7th place team. What we need, therefore, is a man to take us that one step further i.e. into the top six.

Is Roeder the man who can do this? Yes, we're all feeling jolly pleased with what he has done, but that should not really cloud our judgement in deciding if he can take us that one step further. Should it be a case of 'well he deserves it' or should Portly Freddie still be trying to get a 'name'?

Personally, I think Shepherd should go for the 'name'. I just think that a 'name' can attract one or two better players and maybe have some more experience in success.

One thing's for sure: Portly Freddie is in a far far trickier situation now because of recent results. If he does go for a 'name' and things go pear-shaped, the crowd will go ballistic, with the inevitable know-it-alls accusing him of not seeing the wood for the trees in rejecting Roeder at the time when all was relatively good.

So could we get an announcement soon? I fuckin hope so, as I'm a bit fed up with this protracted soap opera; not to mention my kids asking me every day when we can expect to collect the Ranieri 'winnings' ;)

The FA are going to announce Swen's (as SBR pronounces it) successor this coming week, I heard on the radio or telly tonight. Surely this means that we are going to hog all the back-pages by announcing our new manager at the same time? I bloody hope so.

This interview was conducted by me and an interested party after one or possibly two shandies and I, sorry, we apologise for it's wittering content.

I don't think for one second we would be where we are now if Souness had been left in charge.

You don't say? ;)

Anyway, Roeder has become the safe option for Freddy. He could appoint him now and the majority of fans would support him. Roeder seems quite competent and would do a stable job at the very least.

But the chances of Roeder being the man to take us into the Top 2 or 3 are very slim, if we want that we'll most likely need a more adventurous appointment.

I'd be interested to know if Roeder actually wants the job and all its pressure.

Dr Gloom probably said it best in his analysis of the game against the smog.

Credit MUST be given to Roeder for managing to get results with so many players out and whatever happens in the future regarding managers, we know that when we sack the next one (which inevitably we will) we have a good solid caretaker already at the club…………..in fact you almost wonder whether he could be given some sort of coaching and motivation role under the new manager anyway.

All we can deduce about Roeder is that he's managed to do as well as anyone could have been expected to do. A few games could have been seen as the inevitable upturn that normally occurs after a bad manager is sacked, but to sustain it for the 15 or so games he has is impressive.

I don't imagine any other manager in the world would have managed a better run of results with the fit players we have....this makes the next appointment trickier ironically. Any poor results under a new manager will quickly be compared to Roeder's good run.

If he can achieve these results WITHOUT key players, I'd love to see what he could do when some of our star players are back in the squad.

I think he's making it very hard for the next manager, especially as he will still be at the club, a situation which doesn't often occur.

I wasn't keen at first, but in the absence of a stellar manager (Hiddink, Hitzfeld, Wenger etc), I don't think we should replace success for the sake of it.

Quotes from Roeder on Skysports...

Glenn Roeder has dropped a broad hint that he would be prepared to take the Newcastle reins on a permanent basis.

Roeder stepped into the void when Newcastle axed Graeme Souness in February and he has won many fans in turning the club's fortunes around.

The former Newcastle defender has repeatedly stated that he did not want the job on a permanent basis, but his efforts in leading the club into the top half of the table could well prompt a change of heart.

Roeder will be in charge until the end of the season and chairman Freddy Shepherd has kept his own counsel on the subject, but the caretaker has suggested he would be ready to take on the pressure position on a permanent basis.

"It is no longer certain that I will go back to the academy," said Roeder. "There are things to be discussed because of the last couple of months.

"The chairman is a man of few words. Some chairmen question selections and tactics but he just lets me get on with it.

"I would like to think the chairman would keep me involved at senior level...and academy level. I want to make sure as a club that we keep building.

"Am I in pole position? I never fancied myself as a pole dancer. All the past few weeks have done is remind me how enjoyable it is working with such high-quality players.

"I have enjoyed these past couple of months - the most enjoyment I have had is in making the supporters happy.

"I know things have gone well for me personally but the players have achieved it. Myself and the team since February have made this season a bit more palatable for the fans."

Imagine... ;);)

Quotes from Roeder on Skysports...

Glenn Roeder has dropped a broad hint that he would be prepared to take the Newcastle reins on a permanent basis.

Roeder stepped into the void when Newcastle axed Graeme Souness in February and he has won many fans in turning the club's fortunes around.

The former Newcastle defender has repeatedly stated that he did not want the job on a permanent basis, but his efforts in leading the club into the top half of the table could well prompt a change of heart.

Roeder will be in charge until the end of the season and chairman Freddy Shepherd has kept his own counsel on the subject, but the caretaker has suggested he would be ready to take on the pressure position on a permanent basis.

"It is no longer certain that I will go back to the academy," said Roeder. "There are things to be discussed because of the last couple of months.

"The chairman is a man of few words. Some chairmen question selections and tactics but he just lets me get on with it.

"I would like to think the chairman would keep me involved at senior level...and academy level. I want to make sure as a club that we keep building.

"Am I in pole position? I never fancied myself as a pole dancer. All the past few weeks have done is remind me how enjoyable it is working with such high-quality players.

"I have enjoyed these past couple of months - the most enjoyment I have had is in making the supporters happy.

"I know things have gone well for me personally but the players have achieved it. Myself and the team since February have made this season a bit more palatable for the fans."

Imagine... ;);)

126688[/snapback]

There's a mental image I really didn't need :puke: