Roeder moves into full-time frame.

Roeder's name moves firmly into full-time frame

The Newcastle caretaker manager, Glenn Roeder, has performed a major U-turn by expressing an interest in taking over the St James' Park reins on a full-time basis, and it is becoming increasingly likely he will be offered the position in the next fortnight.

Having now amassed more points than predecessor Graeme Souness in just half the time, Roeder has steered Newcastle towards a Uefa Cup place and revealed a change of heart after his team effectively condemned West Bromwich Albion to relegation.

Roeder, who insisted that he did not want the role on a permanent basis, has now changed his tune - and Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd seems ready to turn to him if Martin O'Neill rejects his overtures.

The former Newcastle captain would not hesitate to end Shepherd's search for a manager to deliver the club's first major domestic trophy since 1955 should a request be forthcoming.

"Until he does ask any questions, once he does, I'll give it a moment's thought and I'd give him an answer," said Roeder, whose lack of appropriate qualifications will need to be addressed.

Whatever happens, Roeder is certainly reluctant to resume his previous duties with Newcastle's academy. "I feel I have a lot more to offer than just academy manager," he said. "I've enjoyed these last couple of months. It's reminded me how enjoyable it can be working with senior players of high quality.

"If it had only been for one game and then I'd gone back to the academy, then I wouldn't have had the chance to get that feeling again."

Gerard Houllier, who Roeder counts as a friend, continues to be linked with the post - possibly in tandem with the present incumbent - but there is even talk that one day Roeder might work at St James' Park in harness with Alan Shearer as a director of football after his captain's sabbatical.

"I'd like to think the chairman would want to keep me involved in the senior level and academy level [so that] as a club we can start building and have a good infrastructure," Roeder added.

"It wouldn't happen in one season, it would take four or five. But at some stage you have to turn the page over and start with a clean piece of paper."

From todays Telegraph

Interesting that Roeder and Houllier are friends. Maybe a Houllier as DoF, Roeder as coach set-up would work?

Also interesting that Roeder wants to keep a hand in at both academy and senior level.

Iv said all along i want roeder to carry on and whoever says he doesnt have the credentials to take us up and onwards over years to come just cant be watching what he has done for us...I really like the sound of this Roeder Houllier partnership!

I'm not surprised he's thinking about it. It all looks rosey. We're performing better than we had hoped after the departure of Souness. He's thriving in a pressure-free enviroment at the minute. I'm not sure that it's a totally just indicator. He's not had to wheel and deal and there was little expectation once he took over. I'm a little worried about the gutless capitulations at the hands of Man Utd, Liverpool and Charlton too. Liverpool ran us ragged and Roeder didn't even change things or try stop Warnock ripping us to pieces.

I'd definitely have him above dross like Bruce and the whispering wanker O'Leary. But I do have my reservations.

I'm not sure about Roeder, he's done an outstanding job, I honestly can't complain at all about the way he has turned the club around, but there is a part of me thats thinking that all he has done is return the club to where it should be anyway, based on the players at his disposal.

What we really need is a manager that can take us up to the next level, challenging the top four, and challenging for the champions league season after season.

Maybe Roeder can do that, and the more I see of him the more I think he might, but I'm not 100% convinced, it might require a top class manager to do that.

Like all the above posts indicate, we are feeling quite comfortable about the possible full-time appointment of Roeder; the results recently will inevitably have us feeling that way.

But, there are doubts due to the results against the top teams.

If we're in doubt, how must Portly Freddie be thinking??? I bet he never imagined a situation like this.

I think the partnership with Houllier looks most likely. Not sure about the prospects of success for this though as Houllier/Evans at Liverpool was disasterous. As I said a wee while ago, will Roeder be prepared to play second fiddle??

Him and Houllier are meant to be good mates, so I reckon they'll form a decent working partnership. The Houllier/Evans thing was a bit different cos the two blokes didn't really know one another and Evans must have felt he was being undermined. If boundaries were clearly defined I think you can make something like that work.

Having said that I don't think Freddy will go down this route - we would have to effectively pay two manager's wages for a start, which I can't see appealing to him.

His picking of that clown Faye in recent matches has worried me a lot. I wouldn't have him anywhere near the reserves let alone the first team.

Also his handling of Luque is raising some questions. He's obviously needed some football to help him adjust and that hasn't come (obviously he has to balance dealing with this one player against getting results for the club). When Luque has finally scored and boosted his confidence, Roder then leaves him on the bench on Saturday when he could have easily brought him on. He would have had the crowd behind him, we were in a comfortable position at two nil, Shola was doing nowt (despite what the Sunday rags would have you believe)and he would have been up against the worst team we've seen here this season. But Roder just let him warm up for half the game. I fear this will have knocked his confidence right back down!

...Also his handling of Luque is raising some questions.  He's obviously needed some football to help him adjust and that hasn't come (obviously he has to balance dealing with this one player against getting results for the club).  When Luque has finally scored and boosted his confidence, Roder then leaves him on the bench on Saturday when he could have easily brought him on.  He would have had the crowd behind him, we were in a comfortable position at two nil, Shola was doing nowt (despite what the Sunday rags would have you believe)and he would have been up against the worst team we've seen here this season.  But Roder just let him warm up for half the game.  I fear this will have knocked his confidence right back down!

127136[/snapback]

Yeah, I agree. Can't see him being involved against Brum or Chelski for that matter either...

Edited by Fat Boy