Zidane to quit football after WC

MattM4

Thought he was due to announce it tomorrow, but it appears the news is out today:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/4942564.stm

Zidane to retire after World Cup

Real Madrid's French international Zinedine Zidane is to retire after the World Cup finals in Germany.

"It's my decision and it's final," the France and Real Madrid playmaker told French television channel Canal+.

I know a few of my mates who will be upset. Anyway, that means his last game could be July 9th, which is the world cup final, although hopefully it'll be a couple of weeks before that :icon_lol:

Legendary player though.

Didn't Fergie laugh at the Bordeaux manager or scout who told him he'd be the best player in the world one day and could have had him for about 2 million?

Guest CrimsonFault

When the nation were on his shoulders in World Cup '98, he was banging headers in for fun against Brazil in the Final.

Brilliant.

My favourite ever player, and, controversially, my shout for the best footballer ever. A graceful, slick, genius of a player who could pick a pass out from anywhere and never strikes a poor ball. THAT goal in the Champions League final will live with me forever.

Football will be a worse place without him on the field, that's for sure.

Also the site of him vomiting before taking that Penalty against England was quite unforgetable.

127737[/snapback]

Trust Jimbo to bring his usual class to the thread :icon_lol::lol::lol:

My favourite ever player, and, controversially, my shout for the best footballer ever. A graceful, slick, genius of a player who could pick a pass out from anywhere and never strikes a poor ball. THAT goal in the Champions League final will live with me forever.

Football will be a worse place without him on the field, that's for sure.

128166[/snapback]

Fantastic player but he's not even the best French player I've seen with Platini comfortably beating him in that regard.

There was a Zidane compilation on Eurosport last night as a tribute to him, excellent to watch.