Ramblings

snakehips

So, was yesterday's 'excitement' just the result of an overheard comment taken as gospel, or a testing of the water by Portly Freddie? Who knows?

What surprised me was the amount of instant rejection of the possibility of Roeder being given the job - most of the condemnation was on N-O rather than here though.

But, everyone is entitled to their view. No-one can be certain of what will happen, but as I said the other night, if Roeder did get the job there would be a few people hoping to be proved right (whether he was successfull or a failure) just so they can later post how bloody clever they are in predicting the outcome. That, to me, is a shame.

As well as the 'good choice' and 'rubbish decision' camps, there is another that I'm in that just doesn't know what will be the right choice. Yes, Roeder has done well but has he got that little bit of something that indicates success? I'm not sure he does. Some have pointed at his failings in the past at Gillingham, Watford and West Ham but I would argue that you cannot make a silk purse of a sow's ear -regarding the quality of players at Gillingham and Watford - and his failing at West Ham, it could be argued, was down to his deteriorating health. Let's not forget that a certain Alex Ferguson was sacked from his first managers job at St Mirren iirc.

So why are we so confused and arguing with each other over Roeder's possible appointment? Fear, simple as that. We are terrified that if we get this one wrong we will be courting disaster.

Some people have asked why the top managers are reticent to come here. They see a situation where if they have a bad spell they will get the sack, as the fans will put the pressure on Portly Freddie to get rid. We have a history of it. Why on earth would a 'top' manager want to put himself through such strife, as it's inevitable that results will not be perfect the whole time?

I am not sure who will get the job. I would have loved Hiddink but that's long gone.

What I, and I think we all need to do, is to give whoever gets the job a decent chance of success by giving them some fuckin time. Full support for whoever it is, for however long it takes. Sadly, I doubt if that could happen.

Edited by snakehips

I'll admit i don't want Roeder in the job, i'd be happy to say thank you Glenn you really have done us a remarkable thing by getting us so far up the league in such a short space of time blah blah blah, however if Roeder gets the job i will give him my support i don't doubt that

I am one of the people who never backed Souness. But that was because he always was and always will be a shit manager who never learnt from his mistakes.

Reder doesn't seem to be like that. He has done very well taking us to where we are. A feet I wouldn't have thought possible. I must say though he is not my favourite to take the job on. I think if he is given the job it is a missed opportunity to make a change similar to when KK took over and really revamp how things are done throughout the club and use the money we are capable of generating to push on to sustained success.

If he is given the job however I will give him my full support. I dont think we will fail. I just don't think we will push on to challenging tin the top 5 where we can be.

P.S. I dont want Gerard Houllier as DOF. His buys for Liverpool were dreadful. I have no definites but am sure this is the case.

P.S. I dont want Gerard Houllier as DOF. His buys for Liverpool were dreadful. I have no definites but am sure this is the case.

127774[/snapback]

Didn't he buy the next Zidane, at least twice, one of which can't get in the Sunderland team

127774[/snapback]

Didn't he buy the next Zidane, at least twice, one of which can't get in the Sunderland team

127783[/snapback]

And won them about 5 trophies....

Aye, we can slag Houllier's signings off, but they won trophies. Which is more than we can say. His signings weren't good enough for the League title or the Champions League, but they did alright in pretty much everything else.

Hamman, Risse, Hyypia, Dudek and Henchoz did fine for Liverpool and Houllier signed them.

OK not my number one choices of players but as its been said before, good enough to win the UEFA Cup, FA Cup, League Cup, European Super Cup.

Tbh, as a Newcastle fan, I'd be more than satisfied with one of those !

Good post.

IMO Roeder has done well, but Souness did well when he first arrived, it all then went pear shaped.

I have to be honest, I am confused at who I would like to have as Toon boss.

I am scared, yes, if we dont get this right, keep some oft the crap players and dont sign a clas centre foward there is a large posibility of us struggling next season.

But yes we do need to give them time, BUT if we had given Souness any more time, would we be in the same boat as WBA or even the unwashed?

gerrard and owen won them those trophies tbh. vast majority of his other buys have been shocking.

edit - remove 'other'. he didnt buy owen or gerrard

127787[/snapback]

Two blokes don't win you 5 or 6 trophies by themselves. That's cobblers.

Aye, lets stop turning our noses up at Roeder.  But we can rip into a guy who has won the league in France and 6 trophies in his time in England... :icon_lol:

127796[/snapback]

Keith Burkinshaw was sacked by NUFC in '75 and went to Tottingham. When he got there he made satement which I can't recall verbatim but went along the lines of:

'the trouble with Newcastle is that they're all experts up there.'

Seems like nothing's changed :lol:

gerrard and owen won them those trophies tbh. vast majority of his other buys have been shocking.

127787[/snapback]

127797[/snapback]

Chris Sutton would.

127787[/snapback]

127797[/snapback]

Chris Sutton would.

127805[/snapback]

jesus wept tbh. look i didnt shag mags, forget about it :icon_lol:

127787[/snapback]

127797[/snapback]

Chris Sutton would.

127805[/snapback]

jesus wept tbh. look i didnt shag mags, forget about it :icon_lol:

127836[/snapback]

Too busy shagging Chris Sutton tbh

-Too busy shagging Chris Sutton tbh

-J69, were you being sarcastic about Chris Sutton too?

-Chris Sutton would.

-Still think Sutton could do a job?

-I'm too busy watching all of Chris Sutton's goals since he moved back to the EPL tbh

-Quicker than Sutton, slower than Hitler

-J69 first got crap from me because he wanted us to buy Chris Sutton

-You claimed Sutton would be better than what we've got. Well he's not even scoring for a team who are capable of creating goals

-As is Sutton. A fantastic point you made though, well done

-What you said about Sutton means you deserve the shit ripped out of you

-Better or worse than Chris Sutton?

just out of interest i searched chris sutton. these were the posts by you in only the first 2 pages :icon_lol:

change the record tbh

Edited by J69

-Too busy shagging Chris Sutton tbh

-J69, were you being sarcastic about Chris Sutton too?

-Chris Sutton would.

-Still think Sutton could do a job?

-I'm too busy watching all of Chris Sutton's goals since he moved back to the EPL tbh

-Quicker than Sutton, slower than Hitler

-J69 first got crap from me because he wanted us to buy Chris Sutton

-You claimed Sutton would be better than what we've got. Well he's not even scoring for a team who are capable of creating goals

-As is Sutton. A fantastic point you made though, well done

-What you said about Sutton means you deserve the shit ripped out of you

-Better or worse than Chris Sutton?

just out of interest i searched chris sutton. these were the posts by you in only the first 2 pages :lol:

change the record tbh

127908[/snapback]

The more it annoys you, the more I'll post it tbh :icon_lol:

because even though im not too fond of you i dont possess this immense hatred that you seem to hold for me, putting me down at every opportunity. im quite happy to humour you and your digs at me. slip another sutton reference in if you like, really show me up for the fool i am!