HTT on N-O

Guest CrimsonFault

Guest CrimsonFault
A playmaker who can dicate from central in the hole, or up front. As creative as Solano is and can be, it's condensed and confined mostly to the flanks or on the diagonal, we very rarely thread the ball through the central channels or flick off one-twos around the edge of the dee, it's always near the corners.

I'd love to see Gudjohnson here but I doubt he'd sign for us or whether we could really afford him but we are crying out for a player of that ilk in central positions for me.

Emre was meant to be the classy little playmaker but I'd say he's more a continental style drifting playmaker like a Riquelme than the type more common to the Premiership, aka the Beardsley, Zola, Bergkamp, Sheringham and now Rooney type of playmaker.

Midfield in the Premiership is too much of a battleground for midfield type of playmakers, Imagine Riquelme in the Premiership? The game would pass him by. Now imagine Tevez who plays further forward?

When I watch Emre he trys to dictate, to make play, but he's often bogged down in defensive chores, marking or being outnumbered and together with Parker, this makes us unballanced as we lack forward runners and often the attackers are adrift of the midfield.

I thought that's what we lacked under Sir Bobby. Noticed under KK how the central midfielders would chip in with goals? That was because of Beardsley that. Under Dalglish, Gullit, SBR and now, today, we don't get many goals from central midfield. The top sides all have a 10-15 goal a season man from midfield, we don't and I don't think that's because we lack a box to box goalscoring midfielder, we just lack someone to involve midfielders into the game, to pick and spot runs. I've seen both Emre and Parker make some terrific runs, but all to no avail.

An davanced playmaker would give us a whole new dimension IMO.

Couldn't agree more. Albeit we need a few defenders and a striker or two, we need a play maker just as much.

We could go out and splash X amount of money on a "top" striker and all say "he needs time to bed in" when he doesn't score a few goals, but if he's not scoring goals its probably because nobody is setting the goals up for him.

Yes, we have Emre, but he has the tendancy to go missing in the bigger games - ie. Man Utd away, Liverpool home and was poor away to Charlton.

Suppose we could always try N'Zogbia behind the front two in the play making role, and hope Luque produces the good on the wing and save ourself some money.

Opinions?

...we don't get many goals from central midfield. The top sides all have a 10-15 goal a season man from midfield, we don't and I don't think that's because we lack a box to box goalscoring midfielder, we just lack someone to involve midfielders into the game, to pick and spot runs. I've seen both Emre and Parker make some terrific runs, but all to no avail...

Not sure I agree with this. Ok Chelsea have Lampard, and Liverpool have Gerrard, but it's the strikers for Arsenal (Henry) and Manure (Ruud & Rooney). It also sticks out that Chelsea & Liverpool don't have "prolific" scoring forwards. Is it not one or the other? A top scoring midfielder, or a top scoring forward?

...we don't get many goals from central midfield. The top sides all have a 10-15 goal a season man from midfield, we don't and I don't think that's because we lack a box to box goalscoring midfielder, we just lack someone to involve midfielders into the game, to pick and spot runs. I've seen both Emre and Parker make some terrific runs, but all to no avail...

Not sure I agree with this. Ok Chelsea have Lampard, and Liverpool have Gerrard, but it's the strikers for Arsenal (Henry) and Manure (Ruud & Rooney). It also sticks out that Chelsea & Liverpool don't have "prolific" scoring forwards. Is it not one or the other? A top scoring midfielder, or a top scoring forward?

128056[/snapback]

Man U and Arsenal when they were at their best had Scholes chipping in 18 in one season I think? and Arsenal had Pires, Lungberg and Wiltord all into double figuers

Like him or not Everton's season last season was built around Cahill's goals and yet their strikers couldn't hit a barn with a shotgun.

Southampton for years relied on Le Tissier as a playmaker but they never went forward as a club because they couldn't get the combination right and if Le Tis wasn't firing the team didn't have another outlet - something that has been evident in Arsenal's decline this season since Viera left and Lungberg and Pires have aged.

Like him or not Everton's season last season was built around Cahill's goals and yet their strikers couldn't hit a barn with a shotgun.

128190[/snapback]

I see Timmy's picked up a nasty injury which is gonna take around 6 weeks to recover from. I'd like to think I wouldn't wish it on anyone to miss something like a World Cup, but I'm reeeeeeally torn with that little shitehawk. :icon_lol:

Is it just me that has missed 'the valid point' ?? :lol::icon_lol:

Solano playing on the right. Was this 'the valid point' ?

Gudjohnson (sp) (who SBR tried to sign) is not a box to box midfielder, if I'm not mistaken. Was he 'the valid point' ?

Our 'unbalanced' midfield of Emre and Parker. Is that 'the valid point' ?

That we need midfielders who score goals. Is that it?

:lol:

I thought the point that was being made was how we needed an attacker to be the playmake like Pedro used to be.

I have to say I fully agree with that. We have Owen to score the goals up front (albeit we need another to help/cover), what we need is a Pedro/Zola/ Bergkamp type to compliment.

Gudjonsen would be my first choice but I think he would be very difficult to get and I must admit I'm not sure who else would be a possibility.

Can't believe I'm agreeing with HTT :icon_lol:

A lack of pace up front has been the problem. We don't thread balls through the middle because 99% of PL defenders could outpace Shearer and Shola to them. Next season with Owen and hopefully another speedy bastid up there you'd probably see a change in game plan and Emre especially playmaking more. Imo anyway.

I'm almost certain i made a similar point in the Emre thread, we need a forward who can drop deep and start attacks, like Bergkamp. Any team would have been improved by Bergkamp though......

But once again i and my all too righteous and perceptive comments been overlooked, there's a blatant glass ceiling on this board :icon_lol:

Bunch of Babylonians, you lot...

I'm almost certain i made a similar point in the Emre thread, we need a forward who can drop deep and start attacks, like Bergkamp. Any team would have been improved by Bergkamp though......

But once again i and my all too righteous and perceptive comments been overlooked, there's a blatant glass ceiling on this board  :icon_lol:

128228[/snapback]

N-O has a mirrored ceiling where HTT can look at himself and ask himself questions :lol:

Edited by snakehips

But once again i and my all too righteous and perceptive comments been overlooked, there's a blatant glass ceiling on this board  :icon_lol:

128228[/snapback]

Aye, but was your point as succint and eloquent?

128228[/snapback]

128246[/snapback]

I might be encouraged to be more wordy if you all keep saying 'GREAT post Chockers' after every blatantly obvious observation, remark or pole vote :lol:

128228[/snapback]

128246[/snapback]

I might be encouraged to be more wordy if you all keep saying 'GREAT post Chockers' after every blatantly obvious observation, remark or pole vote :lol:

128341[/snapback]