.com report on manager situation

Barney

I'm not sure if this has been posted elsewhere, but this caught my eye this morning and fucked me right off.

Past the post, says the paper:

It's all about Al - again

Even by their own recent standards, Wednesday's Evening Chronicle coverage of Newcastle showed a breathtaking level of knowledge of future events at SJP:

Whatever happens, Roeder will be in charge at St James' Park, no matter what title he carries.

He will have Alan Shearer back at his side after the legendary striker takes a season off to do some TV commentating and some ambassadorial work with Umbro, as well as spending more time with his family (no mention of him working for coaching badges there - that's odd....)

In the meantime, Roeder will have to decide who he also wants alongside him, with people in the game saying in Tommy Craig United have one of the best coaches in football. Roeder himself is a coach, but if he wants a bit of help from Craig this would open the door for Lee Clark to take over the United Reserve team.

So there you go, all sewn up. Easy as that. Regardless of whatever tinpot rules stand in our way, Glenn Roeder will be in charge. And he'll be there until at least 2007 - even if next season is a total disaster.

All bets are off then - with the guaranteed return of Shearer to the club meaning nobody else credible other than Roeder would want the job on those terms.

Just Alan Oliver's witterings at the minute, although as much as I'd like to dismiss it, it's not beyond the realms or probability that this is exactly how Shepherd's thinking.

"This is a huge decision for this football club. One of the biggest we've ever made and we HAVE to get it right" he said. 3 months later and if the above is true the decision he's spent 3 months making is to gamble our future on a bloke who's never had a day's managerial experience in his life, and has no badges other than a Pro-Geordie one. Ace. :icon_lol:

I think Shearer should have been appointed some sort of ambassadorial role, where he can keep his ties with the club. Maybe like what Bobby Charlton has at ManU(???).

It makes the tales of the Allardyce/Freddy/Shearer meeting seem all the more feasible.

It also looks like it has cost us Martin O'Neill and Sam Allardyce as potential managers.

This line from .com sums up the club at the minute :

All bets are off then - with the guaranteed return of Shearer to the club meaning nobody else credible other than Roeder would want the job on those terms.

Very poor decision by the board/FF if true.

I wish Shearer would come out (oo-er) and just tell everyone that all this conjecture is exactly that.

Just tell us, Shearer, that it isn't true....please!! If you are one of us, then you will understand our utter frustration and tell us it's all bollocks.

Shearer reads my posts, btw :icon_lol:

I wish Shearer would come out (oo-er) and just tell everyone that all this conjecture is exactly that.

Just tell us, Shearer, that it isn't true....please!! If you are one of us, then you will understand our utter frustration and tell us it's all bollocks.

Shearer reads my posts, btw :icon_lol:

128230[/snapback]

I thought that myself actually. He should be going to Shepherd and saying "Forget this keeping the seat warm for me business. If things don't work out with your new manager and you want to give me a go and I feel I'm ready, we'll sort things out then, but don't make the mistake of gambling everything on me."

Who knows though, Shearer may well think he's worth the gamble. :lol:

I rather would like to see Shearer coming out saying "Yes, I'm interested in managing Newcastle some day, but first want to have a go at a smaller club to work my way up in managment as it would be too big a risk right to start in the Premierleague for an unproven manager as me."

I think most people believe that for all Shearer has done for us, he has held us back a bit, particularly the last two years. I was quietly looking forward to his retirement, hoping that his influence will be lifted, but if this is true then he's holding us back again.

Forget whats best for the club yet again lets do whats best for Alan Shearer. Maybe we shoudd just change our name to Alan Shearer FC too.

128227[/snapback]

Aye, pretty much my feelings summed up. Rumours were rife the last time that at least one candidate (Sam Allardyce) was put off by the perception that Shearer had too much influence at the club. If this latest story is true what top manager would want the job under those circumstances. Also, are Newcastle supposed to effectively write-off another season while Shearer has a year off to pursue other interests. I also agree with Isegrim's point of view.

This is turning into a fuckin' pantomime.

For Fuck's Sake!!!!!!! :icon_lol::lol::lol:

Every day that goes without a manager is a day lost for a manager to be identifying potential targets and a day that other clubs are making strategies for next season.

For Fuck's Sake!!!! GET IT FUCKIN' SORTED SHEPHERD!

I had an argument with the lads I go to the match with about this, they reckon Shearer should be involved no matter what because of what he's done for the club. Personally, I think it's better for us and him if he takes a few years break from the club, not involved whatsoever. If we were to lose out on a top manager because they didn't want Shearer around yet the board did then it would a fucking disgrace imo and sum up the comedy club we've become. All this Geordie nation bollocks man, used to be comical, now it's just plain scary the influence it's having on board decisions.

:icon_lol:

Another thing (if this story is true) would be that it will be difficult to attract players during the uncertainty of Roeder's reign.

It is absolutely pathetic how Shearer-obsessed the club is though. Can you see this sort of thing being allowed to happen with Henry at Arsenal? It's madness and it isn't really til you step back and look at the situation that you realise how daft it's become.

It is absolutely pathetic how Shearer-obsessed the club is though.  Can you see this sort of thing being allowed to happen with Henry at Arsenal?  It's madness and it isn't really til you step back and look at the situation that you realise how daft it's become.

128318[/snapback]

When we went down to Villa away this season me Dad's mate Chris (Villa fan) jokingly referred to the Toon fans' Shearer obsession as being like Islamic Fundamentalism. Joking aside, he had a point, and it's not just the fans.

It is all bollocks anyway because we will get a patchwork managment.

Martin O'Neill, Claudio Ranieri, Roberto Mancini, Gerard Houllier, Glenn Roeder and Henk ten Cate have already been appointed (nine times) and will also form a flat-sharing community.

Basically, Shepherd's pretty good on the financial side and clueless in terms of football knowledge. Or that's how I see it anyway.