Shola

Guest CrimsonFault

Guest CrimsonFault

To make him a decent player?

I think he needs to add a bit weight to himself, so it gives him the strength to shrug off defenders more easily and hold up the ball easily without falling to the floor.

Also, his first touch, it often lets him down in the vital moment, if he can get his control sorted he might find himself in more space to operate in.

And finally, he needs to read the game better. He doesn't have pace, neither does Bergkamp, Sheringham and Shearer didnt (in the end of his career), therefore then I needed to be more of a reader of the game to get themselves into positions before the ball is played, rather than spriting 20 yards to catch onto a hopeful through ball - if he can read whats coming, he'll find himself into better positions to shoot, cross, pass.

He's already shown us under Roeder that he is now a confident finisher.

Just my thoughts. Opinions?

Guest CrimsonFault
He still needs to be more composed, as he's still missed a couple of sitters since Roeder took over. But I can certainly see he can be a useful player for us.

128801[/snapback]

Agreed, I don't think he'll ever be a top player but I don't think we should just "flog him" like his critics insist we should do, he looks like he's starting to come of age (finally) a little bit late at 24 yes, but rather now than never.

Speaking of Shola, I listened to Embrace's World Cup song for the first time yesterday and it reminded me of one of their tracks on the This New Day album, called "You Will Hit The Target Every Time". Written for Shola perhaps? ;)

Edited by Bombadil

How I laughed for his second goal against WestBrom!!

Credit to him it was a quality finish don't get me wrong... but that first touch!! even Shola didn't have a clue where it was gonna end up.

His first touch for me. He can show good skill on the ball once he has it though. That said, you mention strength and aye he can sometimes be shrugged of it too easy. I still think he has a lazyness or droopyness about his style, but I think thas just him and will never change. I'd sometimes like to see him really get behind the ball when he shoots, I often feel many of his shots are scuffed and the power is taken out o fthem by not lifting off the ground.

His anticipation is atrocious, his movement is poor, his first touch is heavy and he can't connect with the ball well.

Chopra gets in to good positions but his use of the ball is negligible too.

To make him a decent player?

I think he needs to add a bit weight to himself, so it gives him the strength to shrug off defenders more easily and hold up the ball easily without falling to the floor.

Also, his first touch, it often lets him down in the vital moment, if he can get his control sorted he might find himself in more space to operate in.

And finally, he needs to read the game better. He doesn't have pace, neither does Bergkamp, Sheringham and Shearer didnt (in the end of his career), therefore then I needed to be more of a reader of the game to get themselves into positions before the ball is played, rather than spriting 20 yards to catch onto a hopeful through ball - if he can read whats coming, he'll find himself into better positions to shoot, cross, pass.

He's already shown us under Roeder that he is now a confident finisher.

Just my thoughts. Opinions?

128793[/snapback]

Unfortunately, of the three things you've mentioned, the two in bold fall under the heading 'things you can't teach'. In my opinion at least. Definitely the last one!

That new Arsenal strker reminds me a bit of Shola(Agbonlahor?).

He sometimes looks powerful on the ball and tricky, at other times he looks out of his depth.

I do think he can be an asset to us, but for every performance like the one against the mackems(h), there's a missed header like the one at home to Charlton from the 6 yard box!

A left foot. Plus, his finishing leaves a lot to be desired. I remember that game in the cup against West Brom where he wasted chance after chance and we got knocked out. I rekcon he'll always make chances for himself, but he needs to be far more clinical.

A left foot. Plus, his finishing leaves a lot to be desired. I remember that game in the cup against West Brom where he wasted chance after chance and we got knocked out. I rekcon he'll always make chances for himself, but he needs to be far more clinical.

129048[/snapback]

Like Shearer had one of those...

Anyway, I think he has a decent left foot. Seems comfortable on it.

129048[/snapback]

129049[/snapback]

Perfect example of Saturday, through on goal on his left side, should have buried it. Wouldn't hit it with his left, checked back on his right, got tackled. Shearer could still use his left foot when he needed to, plus he was clinical. Anyway, believe it or not I'm a Shola sympathiser. Shola Liberation Front. ;)

129048[/snapback]

129049[/snapback]

Perfect example of Saturday, through on goal on his left side, should have buried it. Wouldn't hit it with his left, checked back on his right, got tackled. Shearer could still use his left foot when he needed to, plus he was clinical. Anyway, believe it or not I'm a Shola sympathiser. Shola Liberation Front. :razz:

129051[/snapback]

F**k off!!!!!

This is the Liberation Front of Shola ;)

That new Arsenal strker reminds me a bit of Shola(Agbonlahor?).

He sometimes looks powerful on the ball and tricky, at other times he looks out of his depth.

I do think he can be an asset to us, but for every performance like the one against the mackems(h), there's a missed header like the one at home to Charlton from the 6 yard box!

129044[/snapback]

Think you mean Adebayor. He's another lanky striker, but it's surprising how useful these played are, even though they don't have muscle. Shola seems to have a fairly strong upper-body, but his legs are so dangly and awakward, they're partly the reason he can't get power.

129048[/snapback]

129049[/snapback]

Perfect example of Saturday, through on goal on his left side, should have buried it. Wouldn't hit it with his left, checked back on his right, got tackled. Shearer could still use his left foot when he needed to, plus he was clinical. Anyway, believe it or not I'm a Shola sympathiser. Shola Liberation Front. :angry:

129051[/snapback]

F**k off!!!!!

This is the Liberation Front of Shola ;)

129156[/snapback]

pfff rubbish... This is the Liberation from Shola Front !! :razz: