Cheap & Realistic purchases

ChocChip

Glen Johnson:

Looked good for West Ham and then Chelsea for a shor time until he had a mare against Bolton iirc. With our Glenn Roeder connection we may be able to get him. Needs a lot of development but his attitude must have changed now he realises he can look really crap on national tele :blink:

Would't pay much for him and he might turn out ok.

Carlton Cole:

Big, quick, not gonna get a start at Chelsea. If he accepts a role as foil for Michael Owen he might be decent on the assists side of things. Wouldn't rely on him to be a natural goal scorer though.

Pennant:

Been mentioned in other thread.

Just a couple of names, i think we may have to go for cheap gambles as we probably won't have the money to pay for 'sure things.' Johnson and Cole might have the potential to develop into players better than those who currently occupy that position for us, i.e. Carr and Ameobi.

I'd rather have Fernando Torres and Clerc but........

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If Milner is away to Villa as seems to be on the cards, although Shepherd is a fool to let him go, then we will need someone to be replace Nobby on the right. Not sure that Shepherd would allow the purchase of Pennant though, not after the other idiots he's had through here

They said on TalkSport last night during the Chelsea match that it could be the last game for some of their players..

I'd certainly try them for Gudjohnsen and Bridge and if I wasn't convinced that Robben was on his way to Spurs, I'd look at him too.

Guest alex

Thought Carlton Cole was going to be a player a couple of years ago. Needs some first team action but he might be worth a gamble. I'd like to see us get at least one other striker too though.

They said on TalkSport last night during the Chelsea match that it could be the last game for some of their players..

I'd certainly try them for Gudjohnsen and Bridge and if I wasn't convinced that Robben was on his way to Spurs, I'd look at him too.

130851[/snapback]

For me Gudjohnsen is among the best players in the league. His ability to attack from just about anywhere is awesome. If Mourinho insists on not playing him up front and then brings in the likes of Ballack, then perhaps he is on his way. I'd be in like a shot.

Edited by geordieshandy

Not convinced on Pennant and Johnson, but I'd have Carlton Cole here. And if Roeder is the new boss, at least we know we'll have a coach that could hopefully get something out of them.

130851[/snapback]

For me Gudjohnsen is among the best players in the league. His ability to attack from just about anywhere is awesome. If Mourinho insists on not playing him up front and then brings in the likes of Ballack, then perhaps he is on his way. I'd be in like a shot.

130853[/snapback]

Someone was saying Man United are sniffing around him. There'll be better teams than us in for him, I'm sure, but I agree, the bloke is class.

130851[/snapback]

I said cheap & realistic! I don't think Gudjohnsen or Bridge will be cheap and Robben is not realistic.

Think along the lines of players the top clubs won't want but might come good.

Guest Sima

130851[/snapback]

130853[/snapback]

Someone was saying Man United are sniffing around him. There'll be better teams than us in for him, I'm sure, but I agree, the bloke is class.

130856[/snapback]

Yeah, me tbh. Man U have been after him for ages and they would be at the front of the queue should he become available.

130851[/snapback]

I said cheap & realistic! I don't think Gudjohnsen or Bridge will be cheap and Robben is not realistic.

130858[/snapback]

I am being realistic.....

As for being cheap - I think we need to put the investment in, not rely on people who may come good...

130851[/snapback]

130858[/snapback]

As for being cheap - I think we need to put the investment in, not rely on people who may come good...

130865[/snapback]

Do you think we'll have the money?

Gudjohnsson would be incredible alongside Owen. Whether we could get him though is another question.

I hear Joeleon Lescott of Wolves is supposed to be a top class defender and is supposed to be leaving to either Villa/Everton for £4m ish. Might be worth a shot.

I'd love Wayne Bridge here, but if he leaves Chelsea, I reckon he'll be off to Fulham.

I never liked the look of Carlton Cole, he only got a couple of goals at his loan spell at Villa, and he didn't do too much at the other club he was loaned to either(Wolves?).

Kepping in mind the players we'll be selling all thou we're obviously highly unlikely o get 8M for Boumsong....! I think along with a pot of money we should generate a little bit of cash so we're not bringing in players that are just good enough for reserve team football next season.

I can see us selling the following for better players...

Carr - 2.5M

Moore - 1.5M

Babayaro - 2M

Boumsong - 4M

Butt - 2.5M

Faye - 2M

Bowyer - 3M

Luque - 8M

= 25.5M

Players let go

Caig

Gate

Elliott

Clark

Smylie

Brittain

Chopra

Left with the following

Given

Harper

Krul

Bramble

Ramage

Taylor

Huntington

O'Brien

Pattison

Parker

Milner

N'Zogbia

Dyer

Emre

Solano

Owen

Ameobi

Finnigan

130851[/snapback]

130858[/snapback]

130865[/snapback]

Do you think we'll have the money?

130868[/snapback]

I think we NEED to find the money if we have any aspirations for next season.

Personally I think that holding back on the finances so that we have a respectable transfer budget has prevented us from appointing a manager currently under contract and why we'll probably end up with Roeder.

Guest Sima
Boyo, I reckon you need to half the incoming transfer fees for all those players tbh. :blink:

130882[/snapback]

Just half them? I mean £2.5m for Butt :huh:;)<_<:wub:

I knew what would follow after pricing those players :blink:

We paid 9.5M fo Luque I think. I know his fee would have went down due to the amount of games he hasn't played etc, but for any Spanish club he'd be a vital player for them so personally I would have said around the 7/8M margin imo.

All thou Boumsong's not worth 1M let along 4M surely with the games he has played we'd at least get half for what we paid for him by some dimwitt?

Edited by Geordie Boyo

Boyo, I reckon you need to half the incoming transfer fees for all those players tbh. :blink:

130882[/snapback]

Just half them? I mean £2.5m for Butt ;)<_<:wub::nufc:

130889[/snapback]

Fuck off! :icon_lol:

We can shave his ginger hair off to get at least 1 or 2M for him, man! :huh:

Edited by Geordie Boyo

Guest Sima
I knew what would follow after pricing those players  :blink:

We paid 9.5M fo Luque I think. I know his fee would have went down due to the amount of games he hasn't played etc, but for any Spanish club he'd be a vital player for them so personally I would have said around the 7/8M margin imo.

All thou Boumsong's not worth 1M let along 4M surely with the games he has played we'd at least get half for what we paid for him by some dimwitt?

130892[/snapback]

Nah some dimwit already paid £8m for him when his true value is nearer £3m

130851[/snapback]

130853[/snapback]

130856[/snapback]

Yeah, me tbh. Man U have been after him for ages and they would be at the front of the queue should he become available.

130860[/snapback]

I very much doubt, Chelsea will not sell to Man U, they'd rather take a couple of million less and sell him to someone who is not a rival or in the same league.