Shepherd Disappointed At Journal Article

Scottish Mag

If we are turning down MON(this is speculation obviously) on the basis of roeder not being in his plans, then that's a load of bollox.

I don't recall Tony Parkes being offered the job full-time at Blackburn for the few times that he came in and looked after them. In fact, wasn't he let go when Mark Hughes came in??? I know it was the wrong thing to do, but look at Blackburn now!

There's fuck all room for sentiment in football. Shearer is going to be away for a year, let him come back and be an ambassador for the club, and if Roeder is happy to do it, then stick him back in the academy.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just can't believe how stupid Shepherd is being with this whole Shearer for manager thing. I wonder if David Dein is already giving some thought to appointing Thierry Henry as the boss at Arsenal. I mean, it's BOUND to work. He's scored goals for them and everything. Steven Gerrard must be pretty much nailed on for the Liverpool job too. Gotta be.

It will be a MASSIVE gamble. I really don't want to end up having to detest Shearer because Shepherd has made him believe that he can do a job which is beyond a lot of experienced managers, never mind someone that's never done a day's management in his life.

Why would a manager like O'Neill want to keep the seat warm for Shearer? Which is all Roeder will be doing.

131555[/snapback]

There's quite a lot of speculation and hearsay involved in that post but if true it's disgusting. FFS, I am a Shearer admirer and am prepared to give him a chance at some stage, but not to our present detriment! Why not just give the job to Shearer now and get it over with? If he is a success, great; if not, thankyou and goodbye Mr Shearer.

131556[/snapback]

because he doesnt want it now and we do what Alan wants

Shearers not daft either. Its going ot be incredibly hard to pick up the pieces after Souness and the fans still think we should be right up there. Another season or two of mediocrity from Roeder and it'll be all set up nicely

131562[/snapback]

More speculation though. And I think we have already had enough mediocrity for Shearer to "shine" anyway.

One thing I would say, if this is true, it is not Shearer's fault. Isn't Shepherd running the club? Perhaps Shearer can buy him out - I'm sure he'd do a better job as Chairman.

According to Alan Oliver our useless Chairman is to appoint a management structure of Roeder, Craig , Shearer and Clark.

Having previously appointed 2 former Liverpool managers Shepherd now seems to be trying to create his own version of the boot room years after Liverpool have moved on from it.

Instead of searching Europe for the next Wenger, Benitez or Mourinho he can't be bothered to look beyond the training ground.

According to Alan Oliver our useless Chairman is to appoint a management structure of Roeder, Craig , Shearer and Clark.

Having previously appointed 2 former Liverpool managers Shepherd now seems to be trying to create his own version of the boot room years after Liverpool have moved on from it.

Instead of searching Europe for the next Wenger, Benitez or Mourinho he can't be bothered to look beyond the training ground.

131622[/snapback]

Wasn't Liverpool's famous boot room first formed after a long period of winning trophies under Shankley?

:blink:

Yes but after Roy Evans they decided they needed to move on and modernise the club! Feddy is a bit late to jump on the bandwaggon.

In any event I am not sure you can compare Shankley and Paisley to Roeder, Craig and Clark.

Yes but after Roy Evans they decided they needed to move on and modernise the club! Feddy is a bit late to jump on the bandwaggon.

In any event I am not sure you can compare Shankley and Paisley to Roeder, Craig and Clark.

131626[/snapback]

I know, I meant that you can't form a winning team without first, erm, winning.

Still, not like NUFC to be 20 years behind the times. :blink:

131622[/snapback]

shepherd really doesn't have a clue does he?

why does he have this obsession with recruiting geordies? he's deluded if he really thinks we all want a team of geordies managed by a geordie. we want the best man and backroom staff for the job - not an old boys club. we're not a fucking charity!

To be honest, although it may be hard to accept, the reason O'Neil isn't going to be the newcastle manager is because he is going to sunderland following the takeover by Quinn and his Irish consortium.

To be honest, although it may be hard to accept, the reason O'Neil isn't going to be the newcastle manager is because he is going to sunderland following the takeover by Quinn and his Irish consortium.

131912[/snapback]

Is that fact or opinion?

From today's Journal:

Yesterday's news is undoubtedly a setback for Freddie Shepherd, although Newcastle's chairman will perhaps remain confident he can use his powers of persuasion to garner enough support to force through Roeder's appointment. However, the decision is effectively out of his hands.

Although there will be some sympathy in other boardrooms, United's moves to appoint Roeder have provoked anger among other sections of the game and open hostility from the LMA.

LMA chairman Howard Wilkinson was adamant the Magpies could not be allowed to bend the rules and criticised their lack of forwarding planning in trying to force through Roeder's appointment.

"It's not a matter of principle, it's a matter of law," said Wilkinson.

"It's not just a Premier League rule it a criteria of Uefa. As far as the LMA are concerned it's not about individual cases, it's a matter of, if you have rules, you have to uphold those rules.

"They (Newcastle) have known the rules for some time and they knew the rules before they sacked Graeme Souness four months ago. You would have thought they would have people in place to replace him who have the required qualifications."

This is a worrying time for the club and its supporters.

Should the appointment of Roeder fall through, Newcastle face going into pre-season without a manager and without direction in the transfer market.

Wilkinson may be an idiot, but you can't argue with what he says. It looks like we will be going into pre-season without a manager. Four months of "scouring the globe" and "a large number of high-profile managers applying for the job" (Shepherd's words) and now this. Shepherd makes Barwick and tha FA look like professionals.

I would have thought that we're defo not gonna get Bolton's vote after Allardyce's hissy fit. Let's play "which chairmen has Shepherd pissed off". And let's speculate even further that James Milner could be used as a bargaining chip to secure Deadly Doug's vote. :D

Why should clubs want to help out a rival?

131953[/snapback]

It's hard to tell which way they'll go. If they want to make their own lives easier in future, they might vote for the rule change. But at the same time they've incurred the time and expense getting their coaches to the required level, so they may want to force us to do the same. They may also be professional enough to think that they're not going to get themselves in the position of trying to appoint someone unqualified and vote against us on the basis that they'll never need to rely on the rule change.

As you say though, they would be helping out a rival, so I think it would be sensible to proceed on the basis that we aren't going to get the vote, and start looking at alternatives ASAP. Of course we won't. Shepherd is too stubborn and won't want to be seen to be beaten now that this is all so public. I expect us to wait til June 3rd, get the knockback, and then hit the panic button as the season approaches.

131953[/snapback]

Because if I were chairman of a rival club, I'd rather see Fat Fred get his wish and install a Geordie dream team than actually appoint a proven manager.

Guest alex

131953[/snapback]

Because if I were chairman of a rival club, I'd rather see Fat Fred get his wish and install a Geordie dream team than actually appoint a proven manager.

131964[/snapback]

And who is going to want to come? Roeder may be the best viable option under the circumstances.

131953[/snapback]

131964[/snapback]

And who is going to want to come? Roeder may be the best viable option under the circumstances.

131968[/snapback]

Cheapest

Guest alex

131953[/snapback]

131964[/snapback]

131968[/snapback]

Cheapest

132120[/snapback]

Funnily enough, I was thinking along similar lines.

131953[/snapback]

131964[/snapback]

131968[/snapback]

Cheapest

132120[/snapback]

Funnily enough, I was thinking along similar lines.

132126[/snapback]

Cheapest in the short run. Likely to be very expensive in the longer term - the cost of failure.

Still, an improvement on Souness - who was expensive in both the short and longer term.