Shepherd Disappointed At Journal Article

Scottish Mag

NEWCASTLE United chairman Freddy Shepherd has expressed his upset at an article in The Journal newspaper, dated May 4, concerning the vacant managerial position at St. James' Park.

The story claims the procedure over appointing a new manager at Gallowgate "is in danger of turning into a farce."

But even though United have steadfastly refused to comment on the huge amount of speculation that has appeared in various media outlets since the departure of Graeme Souness in February, Mr Shepherd was nevertheless disappointed at the tone of the latest Journal back page article.

He told nufc.co.uk: "Over the last few months we have been congratulated by so many people within the football industry over our handling of the managerial situation.

"That's whay I am amazed at the comments that have appeared in The Journal on Thursday saying the situation is in danger of turning into a farce.

"We are disappointed that a local north east newspaper like The Journal feels it necessary to use such wording.

"We have always said we will not make any comment on the situation until we have something official to announce.

"But we felt we had to speak out in response to The Journal article, saying things are in danger of turning into a farce when nothing could be further from the truth."

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

NEWCASTLE United chairman Freddy Shepherd has expressed his upset at an article in The Journal newspaper, dated May 4, concerning the vacant managerial position at St. James' Park.

The story claims the procedure over appointing a new manager at Gallowgate "is in danger of turning into a farce."

But even though United have steadfastly refused to comment on the huge amount of speculation that has appeared in various media outlets since the departure of Graeme Souness in February, Mr Shepherd was nevertheless disappointed at the tone of the latest Journal back page article.

He told nufc.co.uk: "Over the last few months we have been congratulated by so many people within the football industry over our handling of the managerial situation.

"That's whay I am amazed at the comments that have appeared in The Journal on Thursday saying the situation is in danger of turning into a farce.

"We are disappointed that a local north east newspaper like The Journal feels it necessary to use such wording.

"We have always said we will not make any comment on the situation until we have something official to announce.

"But we felt we had to speak out in response to The Journal article, saying things are in danger of turning into a farce when nothing could be further from the truth."

131500[/snapback]

well prove them and everyone else wrong by appointed a great manager and stop moaning!

Guest alex

This bit gets me:

"Over the last few months we have been congratulated by so many people within the football industry over our handling of the managerial situation."

Presumably that is in relation to the England manager situation, i.e. we were waiting to see who got appointed before making our move (I can't think of any other context for his saying that). Glenn Roeder was approached for the England job then was he?

131500[/snapback]

Is it just me that finds the comment in bold, vomit inducing ???

Regardless of the article, Freddie, you should not be commenting on such tat. imo.

Congratulated by whom and for what reason? By other chairmen for not ruffling any feathers and instead sticking with the caretaker? For ballsing up any discussions with O'Neill so that he was still available for England? For "going English" instead of foreign?

They've done absolutely nothing to deserve congratulating, and appointing Roeder as a sham DoF to get round the rules will indeed be farcical. And besides, why comment on it? What a dickhead that fat wobbly knacker is.

This bit gets me:

"Over the last few months we have been congratulated by so many people within the football industry over our handling of the managerial situation."

Presumably that is in relation to the England manager situation, i.e. we were waiting to see who got appointed before making our move (I can't think of any other context for his saying that). Glenn Roeder was approached for the England job then was he?

131509[/snapback]

Agree entirely....

How the fuck has that been 'well handled'? If we'd been appointing a top name manager then the 3 months wait is fair enough, but to wait 3 months to appoint a man who's already employed by the club is very poor!

I presume what the fat bastard is saying is that last time he was berated for rushing to appoint a manager and therefore this time, he's presuming he's being praised for taking his time!

It's the manager Fred, not the speed of the appointment which is what will impress us. And the entire footballing world knows that you've been hanging around to pick the bones of the carcass the FA leave behind....

vomit inducing and complete bollocks??

Yeah I can just imagine people saying

"Freddie you're a credit to the game, the way you've approached one man yet the supporters think you've been scouring the globe, genius"

"even better now you're appointing someone already on the payroll, that'll save a few quid. You're a financial wizard Freddie"

Congratulated by whom and for what reason?  By other chairmen for not ruffling any feathers and instead sticking with the caretaker?  For ballsing up any discussions with O'Neill so that he was still available for England?  For "going English" instead of foreign?

They've done absolutely nothing to deserve congratulating, and appointing Roeder as a sham DoF to get round the rules will indeed be farcical.  And besides, why comment on it?  What a dickhead that fat wobbly knacker is.

131518[/snapback]

Alledgedly talks broke down with O'Neill over his choice of backroom staff. Does anyone know any different to that? Why would you reject someone over bringing in their own people whom they know and trust?

Congratulated by whom and for what reason?  By other chairmen for not ruffling any feathers and instead sticking with the caretaker?  For ballsing up any discussions with O'Neill so that he was still available for England?  For "going English" instead of foreign?

They've done absolutely nothing to deserve congratulating, and appointing Roeder as a sham DoF to get round the rules will indeed be farcical.  And besides, why comment on it?  What a dickhead that fat wobbly knacker is.

131518[/snapback]

Alledgedly talks broke down with O'Neill over his choice of backroom staff. Does anyone know any different to that? Why would you reject someone over bringing in their own people whom they know and trust?

131522[/snapback]

Was that not just some bollocks written in the Chronicle though?? I would hardly take it as gospel..

I am beginning to really detest the fat bastard now. And his mouthpiece, Oliver. It's clear that he will not tolerate any criticism from the local press, however justified.

I said this last year as well, but I am feeling so pissed off with the club I don't want to renew my ST. Of course I will in all probability, but I'm sure my sentiments aren't unique.

131518[/snapback]

131522[/snapback]

I thought that was the England job and the reasoning was the FA wanted a successor to be a mameber of the team. If that was the case for NUFC then the only thing I can think off is it has to be Shearer. Anyone taking over has to have a place in the set up for Shearer in a years time.

131518[/snapback]

131522[/snapback]

No I've heard similar. Apparently Little Lord Shearer wasn't in O'Neill's plans and he wasn't keen on agreeing to a role for Roeder at the expense of his own usual team, so that was the end of that.

131518[/snapback]

131522[/snapback]

Was that not just some bollocks written in the Chronicle though?? I would hardly take it as gospel..

131527[/snapback]

Maybe, I thought the Chronicle had it that he'd never been approached, and that Fred hadn't even heard of him never mind spoken to him.

131518[/snapback]

131522[/snapback]

131527[/snapback]

No, according to the Chronicle we haven't even spoken with O'Neill. :blink: Anal's brainwashing work to try and convince us that Roeder has always been first choice.

Is it possible that we are all being hoodwinked by Portly Freddie, despite the rumours about Roeder being so plausible?

Does he have an ace up his sleeve (as well as a pie) and is just waiting for the FA to get all their business out of the way before announcing our new manager who is actually someone other than Roeder??

:blink:

Edited by snakehips

Guest alex

I have no problem with him taking his time, it's just the idea that he's been praised throughout the land for doing the sensible that makes me laugh. Plus the fact that he feels the need to berate a local newspaper for a mildly critical article.

Is it possible that we are all being hoodwinked by Portly Freddie, despite the rumours about Roeder being so plausible?

Does he have an ace up his sleeve (as well as a pie) and is just waiting for the FA to get all their business out of the way before announcing our new manager who is actually someone other than Roeder??

131533[/snapback]

That is my hope. But it's clutching at straws tbh.

131518[/snapback]

131522[/snapback]

131527[/snapback]

No, according to the Chronicle we haven't even spoken with O'Neill. :blink: Anal's brainwashing work to try and convince us that Roeder has always been first choice.

131532[/snapback]

I'm pretty sure one day he "claimed" that O'Neill was not happy about having Shearer as part of the set up.

131533[/snapback]

131543[/snapback]

Agreed. He's made his decision and all we're waiting on now is approval from the FA and the Premier League.

131533[/snapback]

131543[/snapback]

I'm thinking the same, I am also looking at the fact these stories have came from Oliver and the rest of the media have followed on so I hope there is actually little truth in it...

If this was the chosen route why not come out and admit that he is the man we want in charge to stop the speculation that is upsetting the Fat One so much?

Guest alex

Why would a manager like O'Neill want to keep the seat warm for Shearer? Which is all Roeder will be doing.

Why would a manager like O'Neill want to keep the seat warm for Shearer? Which is all Roeder will be doing.

131555[/snapback]

There's quite a lot of speculation and hearsay involved in that post but if true it's disgusting. FFS, I am a Shearer admirer and am prepared to give him a chance at some stage, but not to our present detriment! Why not just give the job to Shearer now and get it over with? If he is a success, great; if not, thankyou and goodbye Mr Shearer.

Guest alex

131555[/snapback]

There's quite a lot of speculation and hearsay involved in that post but if true it's disgusting. FFS, I am a Shearer admirer and am prepared to give him a chance at some stage, but not to our present detriment! Why not just give the job to Shearer now and get it over with? If he is a success, great; if not, thankyou and goodbye Mr Shearer.

131556[/snapback]

It's my view based a bit of insider info. (Nothing concrete, more of a view in certain parts of the club).

131555[/snapback]

131556[/snapback]

because he doesnt want it now and we do what Alan wants

Shearers not daft either. Its going ot be incredibly hard to pick up the pieces after Souness and the fans still think we should be right up there. Another season or two of mediocrity from Roeder and it'll be all set up nicely