Sir Bobby Robson

Guest CrimsonFault

Guest CrimsonFault

Tragically, has lung cancer, therefore he's battling cancer for the third time at 73 years old.

Get well soon, Sir Bobby.

0,,2006201951,00.jpg

SOCCER legend Sir Bobby Robson is battling cancer for a THIRD time.

The former England manager has had surgery to remove an egg-sized tumour from a lung.

It was discovered by chance after he injured his ribs during a skiing accident in France.

Sir Bobby, 73, went to the doctor for a check-up and a shadow was spotted on the lung in an X-ray.

Further checks showed it was cancer and surgeons operated at Newcastle’s Freeman Hospital.

Sir Bobby was last night recovering at his mansion in County Durham with wife Lady Elsie.

A friend revealed: “Clearly it is a worry. Sir Bobby is in his 70s and it’s the third time he has had cancer.

“The operation seems to have gone well and he is a strong bloke. But his family are worried about him.

"They were surprised he developed lung cancer because he doesn’t smoke, other than the odd cigar at Christmas.”

The former Newcastle United manager — who led England to the semi-finals of the 1990 World Cup in Italy — had bowel cancer in 1992.

He made a full recovery, but three years later he contracted cancer again — this time of the mouth.

He had a nine-hour op and privately docs estimated he only had 18 months to live. But five years later the tough Geordie got the all-clear.

Get well soon Sir :D

Get well soon. It's a shame the last year of his reign up here went a bit sour....I remember how loved he was when I moved up here.....

In his pre-match talks the whole pub would go silent and hang on his every word. At the end, everyone would cheer and/or laugh at some ridiculous turn of phrase he'd summoned. :D

Robson recovers after cancer op

Former England and Newcastle boss Sir Bobby Robson says an operation to remove a cancerous tumour from his lung has been "100% successful".

The tumour was spotted when Robson had an X-ray following a skiing accident.

"I've had a thorough scan and I'm clean as a whistle," Robson, currently working with the Republic of Ireland, told the Mail on Sunday.

"There aren't any other tumours so I don't need further treatment. I feel fortunate that it was caught early."

Ex-Ipswich manager Robson has beaten cancer twice already, in 1992 and 1995.

Robson, who is an adviser to Republic of Ireland coach Steve Staunton, says he will be fit to travel to Dublin for the Republic's game against Chile on 24 May.

Story from BBC SPORT:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi...als/4981950.stm

Published: 2006/05/07 10:54:40 GMT

© BBC MMVI

Thank God for that

Robson recovers after cancer op

Former England and Newcastle boss Sir Bobby Robson says an operation to remove a cancerous tumour from his lung has been "100% successful".

The tumour was spotted when Robson had an X-ray following a skiing accident.

"I've had a thorough scan and I'm clean as a whistle," Robson, currently working with the Republic of Ireland, told the Mail on Sunday.

"There aren't any other tumours so I don't need further treatment. I feel fortunate that it was caught early."

Ex-Ipswich manager Robson has beaten cancer twice already, in 1992 and 1995.

Robson, who is an adviser to Republic of Ireland coach Steve Staunton, says he will be fit to travel to Dublin for the Republic's game against Chile on 24 May.

Story from BBC SPORT:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi...als/4981950.stm

Published: 2006/05/07 10:54:40 GMT

© BBC MMVI

Thank God for that

132810[/snapback]

Excellent news :quotes: