Total Shambles

David Kelly

We are now three days away from the start of the season and Newcastle United as a club are a total shambles.

After promissing early signs to the pre season (the signings of Parker and Emre and the sale of O'Brien) that suggested we might be able to move foward as a team this term we are now in a situation where we basically have no team at all.

We are lacking a first choice left back which at this stage is likely to mean that Taylor will have to be switched there and Moore will have to start in the centre.

Jenas looks likely to leave so we will be forced to play Bowyer (a player who we tried to offload!) as the third part of our midfield three.

We are going to have to play Shearer in virtually every game (something he says he's no longer capable of and no one is arguing) as the main striker, hope Dyer manages every game as the right attacker (something he's never come close to) and then player either Milner or N'Zogbia (out of position) on the left.

So basically we do not have a single area of the pitch where we have a team!

I know many people will lay this flatly at Souness's (the Devil) door but while I agree he's shite I can't accept that he would allow this to happen if he could do anything about it.

The simple fact is the usless fat twat we have in charge isn't allowing his manager to spens the money that is required to complete a team. We have now given up on Anelka after only bidding about £4.5m. It was stupid to think that Fener would sell him for that little in the first place but it's even worse to give up now without even bothering to offer some more.

I know I'm not telling anyone anything they don't already know but the shortsightedness of our board is is now beyond a joke and with the state it has left the team in, it is absolutely frightening.

I don't like the idea of mass protests at games by the fans but I have to admit that I am now extremely worried that unless we can do something to get that fat fucker out, then we can kiss our future in the top league (never mind europe) goodbye.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm usually very optimistic when it comes to Newcastle United but I've never gone into a preseason feeling like this. I was optimistic even a few days ago but now I've moved beyond depression into a kind of masochistic black humour.

I have visions of Shearer failing a fitness test Sunday for Souness to come out and tell us there's no such thing a a 'centre forward' in the modern game and we'll be starting with a front 3 of N'Zogbia, Milner & Dyer.

Edited by DotBum

We are now three days away from the start of the season and Newcastle United as a club are a total shambles.

After promissing early signs to the pre season (the signings of Parker and Emre and the sale of O'Brien) that suggested we might be able to move foward as a team this term we are now in a situation where we basically have no team at all.

We are lacking a first choice left back which at this stage is likely to mean that Taylor will have to be switched there and Moore will have to start in the centre.

Jenas looks likely to leave so we will be forced to play Bowyer (a player who we tried to offload!) as the third part of our midfield three.

We are going to have to play Shearer in virtually every game (something he says he's no longer capable of and no one is arguing) as the main striker, hope Dyer manages every game as the right attacker (something he's never come close to) and then player either Milner or N'Zogbia (out of position) on the left.

I know many people will lay this flatly at Souness's (the Devil) door but while I agree he's shite I can't accept that he would allow this to happen if he could do anything about it.

The simple fact is the usless fat twat we have in charge isn't allowing his manager to spens the money that is required to complete a team.  We have now given up on Anelka after only bidding about £4.5m.  It was stupid to think that Fener would sell him for that little in the first place but it's even worse to give up now without even bothering to offer some more.

I know I'm not telling anyone anything they don't already know but the shortsightedness of our board is is now beyond a joke and with the state it has left the team in, it is absolutely frightening.

I don't like the idea of mass protests at games by the fans but I have to admit that I am now extremely worried that unless we can do something to get that fat fucker out, then we can kiss our future in the top league (never mind europe) goodbye.

10282[/snapback]

Agree completely but would add that I think part of the reason we can't get players in stems from Souness himself, and what he has done to the status of our club. His reputation precedes him, if I was a proffessional footballer I would think twice before being managed by him.

Mind you, its entirely Shepherd's fault he is here in the first place.

The simple fact is the usless fat twat we have in charge isn't allowing his manager to spens the money that is required to complete a team.  We have now given up on Anelka after only bidding about £4.5m.  It was stupid to think that Fener would sell him for that little in the first place but it's even worse to give up now without even bothering to offer some more.

10282[/snapback]

Agree completely but would add that I think part of the reason we can't get players in stems from Souness himself, and what he has done to the status of our club. His reputation precedes him, if I was a proffessional footballer I would think twice before being managed by him.

Mind you, its entirely Shepherd's fault he is here in the first place.

10295[/snapback]

I think Shepherd has just realised his mistake in making a professional cunt the manager of the toon

Ultimately, Shepherd and the Board are to blame for the mess we're in. We were massivly underwhelmed when Souness came in because we all pretty much guessed he was nowhere near the answer. In fact, as far as answers go, he was like writing 'I like to masturbate' as an answer to a Geography question.

You could also argue it's Shepherd's fault that he won't pay the fees clubs want for the targets Souness has identified.

10298[/snapback]

You could, but I think there is more to it than that. For instance, it was reported that Real had accepted our bid for Owen, but he obviously didn't want to come here. Same was true of Coco I think. If a player really wanted to come, we would sort the fees out. Unfortunately nobody does, we are simply an unattractive proposition. I bet Emre and Parker are also having doubts.

You could also argue it's Shepherd's fault that he won't pay the fees clubs want for the targets Souness has identified.

10298[/snapback]

Yes he won't release the money because he's realising he's fucked up - big time. Our only hope is a takeover to get shot of the pair of them

10298[/snapback]

You could, but I think there is more to it than that. For instance, it was reported that Real had accepted our bid for Owen, but he obviously didn't want to come here. Same was true of Coco I think. If a player really wanted to come, we would sort the fees out. Unfortunately nobody does, we are simply an unattractive proposition. I bet Emre and Parker are also having doubts.

10302[/snapback]

That isn't neccessarily just down to Souness though. Wages could have been a stumbling block (I would imagine Owen and Coco are on a hell of a lot of money) along with our failure to qualify for Europe etc. (I realise the latter could also be blamed on Souness B) ). Also, it has been suggested that Boa Morte wants to come, but we haven't sorted that fee out have we? We've offered about half want Fulham want.

10298[/snapback]

Yes he won't release the money because he's realising he's fucked up - big time. Our only hope is a takeover to get shot of the pair of them

10303[/snapback]

He's just 'keeping the powder dry' B)

I think the reason we can't attract Owen is the state we are in and our standing as club. Souness's failings as a manager last season may have contributed to that but I don't believe Owen would have turned us down if Souness was our manager and we were in the champions league and had a chairman who wasn't a complete fool!

Totally agree with everything there. It looks like we're gonna be screwed this season. Our first choice striker is a 35 year old who's carrying an injury, Shola is fairly crap/not PL quality and Souey abviously has no faith in Chopra. It really looks like we should have signed a striker. Maybe offering Fener 1/4 of their valuation of Anelka wasn't the best strategy.

We gave away our best left winger, for free. We have been tracking Luis Boa Morte for 8 MONTHS, and have yet to even hold talks with the player. Our options are now a right winger, (Milner) on the left, who is the unfinished article, or N'Zogbia. Similar story.

We signed 1 left back in January with a reputation of being injury prone, and crap. Surely the manager should have realised that he would be injured and/or crap at some stage? Apparently not. We are now left with the prospect of Robbie Elliott or Craig Moore coming in to deputise. Both players are well below PL level.

Basically, after turfing 7 players out of the club(who were, by their own admission, very short in squad depth), we have brought in fewer players of a leesser quality(bar 2).

It's like some mirror universe or something.

Those 2 quotes by Freddy are gonna just keep floating about in my head. The one about us being "astounded by the standard of players who want to come to NUFC" and the one from last January about us being "pleasantly suprised".

I think the failure to bring in two half decent centre forwards has been piss poor imo. It looks like Fat Fred was trying to be a clever shite with the Boa Morte business as well and flex the 'big club' muscles. The arrogant tit probably thought Fulham are such a poor club that they would give in to him, which they're not. In the process he's made us look stupid AGAIN.

It's a shame because I think Emre and Parker look decent, and Boa Morte plus one half decent centre froward would imo have given us a good shout at Europe this season.

It comes down to two factors really;

1) Our obsessions with hiring only British managers - Souness number 3 choice behind Bruce and Allardyce in our 'list'. Fingers burnt with Gullit, big fucking deal, get over it.

2) I actually think what happened to Leeds has scared the shit out of our board and we're less likely to take a financial gamble. Anyone who says 'what about the Rooney bid' should go and stand in the corner for 45 minutes.

10282[/snapback]

Fact is also, DK, that the manager chose to sell players he shouldn't have done, giving him more gaps to fill, and more players to find, than he should have done.

Thats not Shepherds fault.

And Souness would have done the same whoever the chairman was, because he wanted to do it.

Having wanted them out [bad enough] at any cost [worse] he then saw them sold at less than there value, thus reducing his own spending power [worse again, and should be sacked having survived 2 or 3 obvious sacking offences previously].

That isn't Shepherd either, he may be stupid, but he is allowing his manager correctly to run the playing side of the club. I would wager a bet that Shepherd wasn't happy at underselling Bellamy, but Souness gave him no choice, he had to either do that or sack Souness.

Yes, I know.....

Who made the decision to extend Bellamy's break by a week when he was going to report for training ? Shepherd ? I think not. Which proves the above point.

Lastly, Souness also would have had an idea how much money would be available to him [which is more than most, he can't complain he has brought in 6 players at a cost of 20m-ish in less than a year] so if he again chose to concentrate on the midfield area then that is also his decision too, not Shepherds.

Edited by LeazesMag

I think the failure to bring in two half decent centre forwards has been piss poor imo. It looks like Fat Fred was trying to be a clever shite with the Boa Morte business as well and flex the 'big club' muscles. The arrogant tit probably thought Fulham are such a poor club that they would give in to him, which they're not. In the process he's made us look stupid AGAIN.

It's a shame because I think Emre and Parker look decent, and Boa Morte plus one half decent centre froward would imo have given us a good shout at Europe this season.

1) Our obsessions with hiring only British managers - Souness number 3 choice behind Bruce and Allardyce in our 'list'. Fingers burnt with Gullit, big fucking deal, get over it.

2) I actually think what happened to Leeds has scared the shit out of our board and we're less likely to take a financial gamble. Anyone who says 'what about the Rooney bid' should go and stand in the corner for 45 minutes.

10330[/snapback]

What about the Rooney bid though?

10330[/snapback]

10350[/snapback]

I don't believe we had the money for that.

10330[/snapback]

10350[/snapback]

10355[/snapback]

Neither do I. Plenty of people were in "the know" regarding his desire to go to Man United, and their desire to sign him. I doubt the bid was ever serious, and FS would have shat himself if Everton and Rooney had accepted us.

10330[/snapback]

10350[/snapback]

10355[/snapback]

Really? B)

10282[/snapback]

Fact is also, DK, that the manager chose to sell players he shouldn't have done, giving him more gaps to fill, and more players to find, than he should have done.

Thats not Shepherds fault.

And Souness would have done the same whoever the chairman was, because he wanted to do it.

Having wanted them out [bad enough] at any cost [worse] he then saw them sold at less than there value, thus reducing his own spending power [worse again, and should be sacked having survived 2 or 3 obvious sacking offences previously].

That isn't Shepherd either, he may be stupid, but he is allowing his manager correctly to run the playing side of the club. I would wager a bet that Shepherd wasn't happy at underselling Bellamy, but Souness gave him no choice, he had to either do that or sack Souness.

Yes, I know.....

Who made the decision to extend Bellamy's break by a week when he was going to report for training ? Shepherd ? I think not. Which proves the above point.

Lastly, Souness also would have had an idea how much money would be available to him [which is more than most, he can't complain he has brought in 6 players at a cost of 20m-ish in less than a year] so if he again chose to concentrate on the midfield area then that is also his decision too, not Shepherds.

10348[/snapback]

I agree Souness wanted Bellamy and Robert out at all costs (which was certainly a mistake money wise) but I also think the fat bastard did too and that was one of the reasons he appointed Souness in the first place. But comments by both Souness and Shearer tell me that the other sales we have made have been basically forced upon him. You might say that this is bollocks and Souness would have walked if we sold players over his head but I think Shepherd has basically come to him and said "we have to slash the wage bill and these players are the ones to sell" and Souness will have reluctantly agreed in order to keep the players he feels are the mainstay of the team and in the obviously misguided belief that he would be able to replace them.

Regardless of that, I like you would much rather we had a manager of some quality instead of Souness but I still say all of the problems stem from that incompitant Jaba the Hut lookalike who 'runs' the club. He appointed Souness, he sacked our last few managers less than ten games into a season, he isn't providing the funds we now desperately need!

He appointed Souness, he sacked our last few managers less than ten games into a season, he isn't providing the funds we now desperately need!

10390[/snapback]

I'm the last one who is in support of Fat Fred's way of running the club, though regarding the bit in bold I strongly disagree.

How can anybody say, that he isn't providing the funds? He is making money available in the region of up to 20m this summer if you keep in mind those players signed and those we had lodged bids for. Add to it the fact that Souness was allowed to spend more than 10m only half a year ago. Tell anybody at Sunderland, West Ham, Man Shitty et al that the manager isn't getting money for rebuilding the squad. They will be laughing hysterically.

I don't know how Fat Fred is doing the transfer dealings, but I am not a friend of simply bowing down to other club's ridiculous valuation of players. I also have not seen the ominous list Souness and Fat Fred were tinkering about together. As Anelka was pretty low down the list as I asume I only can imagine the answers Fred and Graeme got from other clubs, players and representatives.

As I said a couple of weeks ago the transfer business is a fiasco. And in my opinion Graeme and Fred are both to blame, because they simply don't have a clue what they were/are doing.