Total Shambles

David Kelly

I agree Souness wanted Bellamy and Robert out at all costs (which was certainly a mistake money wise) but I also think the fat bastard did too and that was one of the reasons he appointed Souness in the first place.  But comments by both Souness and Shearer tell me that the other sales we have made have been basically forced upon him.  You might say that this is bollocks and Souness would have walked if we sold players over his head but I think Shepherd has basically come to him and said "we have to slash the wage bill and these players are the ones to sell" and Souness will have reluctantly agreed in order to keep the players he feels are the mainstay of the team and in the obviously misguided belief that he would be able to replace them.

Regardless of that, I like you would much rather we had a manager of some quality instead of Souness but I still say all of the problems stem from that incompitant Jaba the Hut lookalike who 'runs' the club.  He appointed Souness, he sacked our last few managers less than ten games into a season, he isn't providing the funds we now desperately need!

10390[/snapback]

You might be right that Shepherd wanted Bellamy and Robert out. Can't see why though, if he did and he appointed Souness to do it, then intended to sack him to avoid taking the flak himself, then that is as big a disgrace as Souness making up a pack of lies and/or instigating a situation whereby he knew he would get an excuse to turn opinion against Bellamy and find a reason to get rid of him. So they both bring the club down. The difference in Shepherds favour is that when Souness is binned, he will walk away with his contract paid up, whereas Shepherd would see his shares and stock in the club dive. Now why would he do that ?? I'm not saying I disagree, just that I can't think of a reason why, or I would agree.

He appointed Souness because he's a numbskull, football wise. This is the reason his last 3 managers too were appointed, all for blinkered reactive reasons ie Dalglish because he was the opposite of the "tactically naive" Keegan [eh ?? what a joke that looks now why is it that attacking managers are naive and defensive managers are "astute" what a load of bollocks], Gullit the opposite of the negative Dalglish. Robson the best appointment, and proves that there is no wrong time to appoint the right manager. Now Souness. Words fail me completely on this one.

Shepherd is not good enough to run a top club , football wise, he is not astute or knowledgeable enough about football. But the fall of the last 10 months is squarely in Souness's court. He has been happy enough doing what he wanted, the thing is, if he hasn't why doesn't he walk away and tell us the truth ?

Shepherd will sack Souness in September-ish. Following on from sacking the last 3, he will do it again. He will have to, for the simple reason that we will be struggling, Souness will have lost it, and leaving it until Xmas will cement a relegation struggle. The difference is this time, there is no Bobby Robson round the corner, so I only hope he is looking around now for the next guy, and I hope he is talking to knowledgeable people who give him good advice, and takes his bloody geordie blinkers off.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we're something like 5th in the number and value of players bought this summer

What concerns me is that Souness obviously had a list (Anelka, Boa Morte et al) but there was no plan B if they didn't come..............................

You'd think he'd have 10 -20 players on his list and be able to move on if one isn't available........................

You'd think he'd have 10 -20 players on his list and be able to move on if one isn't available........................

10414[/snapback]

Come on Rob, catch up son. Our board seem to have no long term vision or plans, they seem to be making it up as we go along. It wouldn't surprise me if our transfer policy involves a globe which FF makes Souness close his eyes and stick a pin in. 'Ghana eh? Right, think of a player who's name begins with B and I'll get the plane tickets sorted.'

He appointed Souness, he sacked our last few managers less than ten games into a season, he isn't providing the funds we now desperately need!

10390[/snapback]

I'm the last one who is in support of Fat Fred's way of running the club, though regarding the bit in bold I strongly disagree.

How can anybody say, that he isn't providing the funds? He is making money available in the region of up to 20m this summer if you keep in mind those players signed and those we had lodged bids for. Add to it the fact that Souness was allowed to spend more than 10m only half a year ago. Tell anybody at Sunderland, West Ham, Man Shitty et al that the manager isn't getting money for rebuilding the squad. They will be laughing hysterically.

I don't know how Fat Fred is doing the transfer dealings, but I am not a friend of simply bowing down to other club's ridiculous valuation of players. I also have not seen the ominous list Souness and Fat Fred were tinkering about together. As Anelka was pretty low down the list as I asume I only can imagine the answers Fred and Graeme got from other clubs, players and representatives.

As I said a couple of weeks ago the transfer business is a fiasco. And in my opinion Graeme and Fred are both to blame, because they simply don't have a clue what they were/are doing.

10406[/snapback]

I understand what you are saying but what I am saying (and what everyone aknowledges) is that unless we sign at least one striker and a left winger we are totally fucked. The fat man isn't providing the funds to do that or we would have been able to sign Anelka and LBM by now. Like you I don't want be paying over the odds but that is the position we are now in because everyone knows how desperate we are beacuse of the transfer policy that Souness and him have followed.

We are now at the stage where I would rather pay more than we should have had to in order to make sure we are not relegated. Let's face it, shelling out an extra couple of million more for a player is peanuts compared to what we would lose if we go down!

He appointed Souness, he sacked our last few managers less than ten games into a season, he isn't providing the funds we now desperately need!

10390[/snapback]

I'm the last one who is in support of Fat Fred's way of running the club, though regarding the bit in bold I strongly disagree.

How can anybody say, that he isn't providing the funds? He is making money available in the region of up to 20m this summer if you keep in mind those players signed and those we had lodged bids for. Add to it the fact that Souness was allowed to spend more than 10m only half a year ago. Tell anybody at Sunderland, West Ham, Man Shitty et al that the manager isn't getting money for rebuilding the squad. They will be laughing hysterically.

I don't know how Fat Fred is doing the transfer dealings, but I am not a friend of simply bowing down to other club's ridiculous valuation of players. I also have not seen the ominous list Souness and Fat Fred were tinkering about together. As Anelka was pretty low down the list as I asume I only can imagine the answers Fred and Graeme got from other clubs, players and representatives.

As I said a couple of weeks ago the transfer business is a fiasco. And in my opinion Graeme and Fred are both to blame, because they simply don't have a clue what they were/are doing.

10406[/snapback]

Good post Guru. B)

When I consideer what Souness has already spent compared to other clubs in the premiership, well I just despair. And I am sure a lot more is available to him. Souness can hardly claim he has no funds. He inherited a strong squad and has completely dismantled it without acquiring replacements first, now we will all reap the rewards of his ineptitude.

10390[/snapback]

10406[/snapback]

Good post Guru. B)

When I consideer what Souness has already spent compared to other clubs in the premiership, well I just despair. And I am sure a lot more is available to him. Souness can hardly claim he has no funds. He inherited a strong squad and has completely dismantled it without acquiring replacements first, now we will all reap the rewards of his ineptitude.

10435[/snapback]

Out of interest, who do you think it is who decides the fees in our incoming and outgoing transfers?

10390[/snapback]

10406[/snapback]

I understand what you are saying but what I am saying (and what everyone aknowledges) is that unless we sign at least one striker and a left winger we are totally fucked. The fat man isn't providing the funds to do that or we would have been able to sign Anelka and LBM by now. Like you I don't want be paying over the odds but that is the position we are now in because everyone knows how desperate we are beacuse of the transfer policy that Souness and him have followed.

We are now at the stage where I would rather pay more than we should have had to in order to make sure we are not relegated. Let's face it, shelling out an extra couple of million more for a player is peanuts compared to what we would lose if we go down!

10428[/snapback]

I actually don't disagree with his assessment that the midfield was piss poor and weak, ie Dyer and Jenas, no tackling ability, wideopen, losing the initiative etc and needed to be addressed, in fact I agree.

But - that made it more necessary for him to keep the other players until such a time as he changed the midfield to how he liked it. And, I don't care how he felt about Bellamy and Robert, I just don't care, he is paid a lot of money to manage the club and he should put the club first, after the gobshite is always telling us how no one is bigger than the club.

It's just a sign of how incompetent he is, that he took the action he has done, for an experienced manager too. It's indefensible, he should be fuckin shot.

10390[/snapback]

10406[/snapback]

Good post Guru. B)

10435[/snapback]

Out of interest, who do you think it is who decides the fees in our incoming and outgoing transfers?

10447[/snapback]

Fees are negotiated by common consent through both teams involved, and depend on the quality of a player and the need of a club to offload them or hire them. In the case of NUFC, Shepherd does the actual negotiations, not very well it seems. But I believe he is acting on players selected by Souness. Then of course there's players agents complicating matters through personal terms....

But then you know this, so what's your point?

I'm very. very depressed!

10458[/snapback]

You should read the Arsenal forum then.....

nice to see the Newcastle fans are keeping their heads held high! Why are you lot so down? There's every chance of you lot getting a european place this season so quit being so depressing  B) 

10390[/snapback]

10406[/snapback]

Good post Guru. B)

10435[/snapback]

10447[/snapback]

Fees are negotiated by common consent through both teams involved, and depend on the quality of a player and the need of a club to offload them or hire them. In the case of NUFC, Shepherd does the actual negotiations, not very well it seems. But I believe he is acting on players selected by Souness. Then of course there's players agents complicating matters through personal terms....

But then you know this, so what's your point?

10462[/snapback]

Just this whole business about Souness being given the money. I realise he's not helping himself by undervaluing the player in the first place; but surely FS isn't really doing much to balance it out.

At the end of the day, regardless of money, you only have to look at how many players we've let go compared to how many we've brought in. It's Fred's job to make sure these players are paid the right money to join, not Souness'

I'm a fan of neither by the way, just to get that straight.

I'm very. very depressed!

10458[/snapback]

You should read the Arsenal forum then.....

nice to see the Newcastle fans are keeping their heads held high! Why are you lot so down? There's every chance of you lot getting a european place this season so quit being so depressing  B) 

10465[/snapback]

They clearly haven't been sticking their head up further than Watford lately! I'd like to see them be happy if the shoe was on the other foot!

We're being shafted again, and Shepherd and Souness must both shoulder the blame

Souness publicly slated Robert and Bellamy knowing that he intended to sell him. That was incredibly unprofessional as he drove their value down by millions, making it clear to everyone that he was desperate for a sale. When the time came to sell, everyone knew that his relationship with the pair was unsustainable, and as a result other clubs exploited us to get good players on the cheap. Robert is now on loan, Bellamy left for a meagre 4.5M. Souness has done other clubs a favour at our expense, they're laughing and we're not. He's been a liability as far as I'm concerned.

He must have expected when he sold players at a fraction of their value that he would be given similarly small funds to replace them. He drove players out of the club and drove their value right down while he was at it, and now he can't replace them and looks like a right prat. We're now in a desperate situation because players were forced out of the club.

Many rejoiced at the loss of Kluivert, but we'd love to have him on a free right now, whatever problems he may have. If we could sign Bellamy for 4.5M we'd be laughing. It's incredible to think that 12 months ago we were discussing how we would satisfy three quality strikers, now we can't even field one.

Shepherd's bid for Anelka, if it was just 4.5M, was pathetically small and can hardly be called a serious bid. Boa Morte was identified as a target 7 months ago, is it that hard to sign an unsettled player from Fulham? Shepherd has not made any serious attempts to sort out the mess Souness left us in and is now hanging Souness out to dry. We can either buy noone and have a relegation-standard strike force or we can panic buy. We have had months to sort out our transfer business, there are no excuses whatsoever. If the will was there we'd have these players now, but Shepherd is penny-pinching. This is our money, we've put it into the club and we deserve a lot better than this. It's been a disgraceful summer.

Edited by ohmelads

I understand what you are saying but what I am saying (and what everyone aknowledges) is that unless we sign at least one striker and a left winger we are totally fucked.  The fat man isn't providing the funds to do that or we would have been able to sign Anelka and LBM by now.  Like you I don't want be paying over the odds but that is the position we are now in because everyone knows how desperate we are beacuse of the transfer policy that Souness and him have followed.

We are now at the stage where I would rather pay more than we should have had to in order to make sure we are not relegated.  Let's face it, shelling out an extra couple of million more for a player is peanuts compared to what we would lose if we go down!

10428[/snapback]

Well, I am not in the camp of those people who are fearing a looming relegation. That is just because I think teams like Wigan and Sunderland and a couple of others are simply too bad that even a strikerless toon can't do worse. On the other hand - I've seen stranger things happening.

For the transfer dealing: Yes, I believe that Fat Fred is doing a terrible job in negotiating. He rarely is hackling out a decent transfer fee. Though I simply disagree in paying for a player of the calibre of Boa Morte more than the 3m I think he is worth. If Fulham want 5m then I start looking for a player that is really 5m or look for a plan B, i.e. a player worth 3m that is allowed to leave for this fee. Same applies for Anelka. If Fenerbahce have paid 4m only six months ago and demanding a 400% increase in his value then they can sod off. A value of 6m is more than I would prepare for a sulking player who is switching clubs more often than Fat Fred is smelling underpants.

In my eyes the current shambles has more to do with Souness forcing out the wrong players without a decent plan how to replace them realitically. Fat Fred willingly agreed without being able to deliver from the list he was presented.

I just had a cruciate ligament operation, but I would do somersaults if those clueless idiots would leave their current jobs ... rather yesterday than tomorrow.

10390[/snapback]

10406[/snapback]

10428[/snapback]

I actually don't disagree with his assessment that the midfield was piss poor and weak, ie Dyer and Jenas, no tackling ability, wideopen, losing the initiative etc and needed to be addressed, in fact I agree.

But - that made it more necessary for him to keep the other players until such a time as he changed the midfield to how he liked it. And, I don't care how he felt about Bellamy and Robert, I just don't care, he is paid a lot of money to manage the club and he should put the club first, after the gobshite is always telling us how no one is bigger than the club.

It's just a sign of how incompetent he is, that he took the action he has done, for an experienced manager too. It's indefensible, he should be fuckin shot.

10448[/snapback]

I can't disagree with you at all there. I just think that FS actions started the problems with his handling of Robsons dismissal and then Souness's appointment and he's now hanging his manager out to dry.

Basically I would say we all knew Souness was clueless from the start, that's not his fault it's just that he's not good enough.

FS shouldn't have appointed him but since he did he should have sacked him as soon as the season was over and he had proved to be a failure by any standard we have, but since he didn't he now has to back him in his attempts to sign forwards because we have no team at the moment.

But he just keeps allowing things to get worse.

I understand what you are saying but what I am saying (and what everyone aknowledges) is that unless we sign at least one striker and a left winger we are totally fucked.  The fat man isn't providing the funds to do that or we would have been able to sign Anelka and LBM by now.  Like you I don't want be paying over the odds but that is the position we are now in because everyone knows how desperate we are beacuse of the transfer policy that Souness and him have followed.

We are now at the stage where I would rather pay more than we should have had to in order to make sure we are not relegated.  Let's face it, shelling out an extra couple of million more for a player is peanuts compared to what we would lose if we go down!

10428[/snapback]

Well, I am not in the camp of those people who are fearing a looming relegation. That is just because I think teams like Wigan and Sunderland and a couple of others are simply too bad that even a strikerless toon can't do worse. On the other hand - I've seen stranger things happening.

For the transfer dealing: Yes, I believe that Fat Fred is doing a terrible job in negotiating. He rarely is hackling out a decent transfer fee. Though I simply disagree in paying for a player of the calibre of Boa Morte more than the 3m I think he is worth. If Fulham want 5m then I start looking for a player that is really 5m or look for a plan B, i.e. a player worth 3m that is allowed to leave for this fee. Same applies for Anelka. If Fenerbahce have paid 4m only six months ago and demanding a 400% increase in his value then they can sod off. A value of 6m is more than I would prepare for a sulking player who is switching clubs more often than Fat Fred is smelling underpants.

In my eyes the current shambles has more to do with Souness forcing out the wrong players without a decent plan how to replace them realitically. Fat Fred willingly agreed without being able to deliver from the list he was presented.

I just had a cruciate ligament operation, but I would do somersaults if those clueless idiots would leave their current jobs ... rather yesterday than tomorrow.

10486[/snapback]

Before you dismiss relegation as a serious concern, consider these factors, bearing in mind how poor we were last season:

We have Bellamy and Kluivert, our best strikers last season. Shearer is a year older.

We have lost Robert, our most productive midfielder. We now have almost no width.

Has the defence really improved? Unlikely, and both full back positions are particularly weak.

Have we the spirit for a relagation battle? Personally, I think not.

The point being, last year were very poor, and in fact were not far from relegation. Add a few injuries to the mix in our squad now, and a poor start, and what chance have we got? Remember its 3 teams that go down, and the odds are one of the promoted teams will do well enough to stay up. I really am reminded now of Sunderland in 2002, hope for God's sake I am wrong.

You might be right that Shepherd wanted Bellamy and Robert out. Can't see why though, if he did and he appointed Souness to do it, then intended to sack him to avoid taking the flak himself, then that is as big a disgrace as Souness making up a pack of lies and/or instigating a situation whereby he knew he would get an excuse to turn opinion against Bellamy and find a reason to get rid of him. So they both bring the club down. The difference in Shepherds favour is that when Souness is binned, he will walk away with his contract paid up, whereas Shepherd would see his shares and stock in the club dive. Now why would he do that ?? I'm not saying I disagree, just that I can't think of a reason why, or I would agree.

10413[/snapback]

LM I think without knowing it, you have hit the nail on the head.

The recent takeover rumours seem to be point when the club stopped going in for players with the vigour they had. For a while, a couple of weeks back, we were linked with every player and their dog but once the takeover rumours started we shut up shop.

Now this is only an opinion but I think if the Hall's were looking to sell then the fat man might not of been involved and became quite disturbed by it because he is known for saying he'd like to take the club back into private ownership - an outside takeover would destroy that plan for Freddy.

The other thing is he has quietly been buying up shares for what the last two/three seasons, shares that have been a fraction of their original market value but what happened when the possible takeover announcement happened?

They shot up by 10/15p in a day, which although it isn't much individually over a volume purchase it is considerable.

So maybe and it's just a thought, the fat controller has wound down the clubs spending with the intention of making Newcastle not such a valuable investment.

Push them into definite mid-table obscurity, suffer until the January transfer window, buy up enough shares on the sly to ward off another takeover possibility and then reinvest in players if needed.

I have no facts to back this up and it is just a thought but if you look at the timing it fits.

... push the price down deliberately in order to buy more, cheaper.....

11103[/snapback]

I don't think Shepherd would deliberately want us to do badly to push down the share price, but it would seem he is in a win win situation which is hardly healthy.

11103[/snapback]

I don't think Shepherd would deliberately want us to do badly to push down the share price , but it would seem he is in a win win situation which is hardly healthy.

11112[/snapback]

I dunno like, I wouldn't trust the fat bastard as far as I could throw him.

11103[/snapback]

I don't think Shepherd would deliberately want us to do badly to push down the share price, but it would seem he is in a win win situation which is hardly healthy.

11112[/snapback]

I don't know if I think that or not, sammy suggested it, could it be right ? It's unbelievable if it is, yet it might be.

I agree it`s not looking good, particularly up front. I`m not too worried about the back and the midfield, by United standards the back ain`t that bad. The mid-field seems fairly solid. We`re a million miles off the top 4 say, but a similar distance off the bottom 4 also. It looks like a mid-table team to me, I think Lawrenson`s prediction of 8th could be accurate, hopefully there`s some decent football along the way.

Seems like people are waking up at last. Most of what I've read here was mentioned before the end of last season. The writing was on the wall for what would happen.

"Just give him time", was the cry. "There are still weeks to go before the close of the transfer window, let's see who he brings in", was another common one. "I'll judge him when he's brought in his own players", was yet another one.

It was obvious before last Christmas, by Souness's treatment of Bellamy and Robert, that he was going to take the club to the brink of extinction, and he will imo. If we are relegated and don't bounce straight back in one season, I believe the club will go to the wall. Unfortunately, by allowing him to get rid of our best striker, in addition to our most creative player, I think Souness has already been allowed to do too much damage. He has to go, but without any strikers of PL quality I'm not sure what another manager can do with the mess this idiot will leave behind. He should have been sacked last Christmas.

Yes HTL, you did tell us so, didn't you.

Try not to sound to pleased about our current plight.

Oh and - I reckon we should give him until Christmas!