Roed gets a fax appeal

Scottish Mag

Newcastle United hope to be able to confirm Glenn Roeder as their permanent manager by Thursday.

It had been thought United would have to wait until the Premier League AGM on June 1 to gain permission from rival Premiership clubs to appoint Roeder without him obtaining the UEFA Pro Licence.

But the Sunday Sun understands that the Premier League will allow clubs to approve Roeder's appointment by fax - removing the need for an official vote at the AGM.

Sources claim that Newcastle have already been assured of the almost unanimous support of the 18 clubs with a vote on the issue.

And with United only needing to win two-thirds support to overturn the rule preventing Roeder from becoming Graeme Souness' full-time successor, the caretaker appears home and dry.

The Cockney could then be confirmed as manager before Alan Shearer's testimonial at St James's Park on Thursday night.

His cause has been helped by the fact that Steve Wigley was given a year-long dispensation to manage Southampton without the Pro Licence in 2004.

Guest Sima
What a sad state of affairs :D

132729[/snapback]

If a "name" manager had done what Roeder had managed, would you feel the same way?

132735[/snapback]

It isn't exactly a remarkable feat that we have got where we are, just an indication of two things.

i) How fucking useless Souness was

ii) How shit the league is except for the big four teams, even though one of those isn't in the top four.

We were useless against Charlton, for 60 minutes against Sunderland, all game against Birmingham and gutless against Chelsea, Man Utd and Liverpool

Edited by Sima

It isn't exactly a remarkable feat that we have got where we are, just an indication of two things.

ii) How shit the league is except for the big four teams, even though one of those isn't in the top four.

We were useless against Charlton, for 60 minutes against Sunderland, all game against Birmingham and gutless against Chelsea, Man Utd and Liverpool

132748[/snapback]

Pretty sums up my major worry. It was the sheer lack of any backbone in those matches that has me casting doubts.

I'd also say it's quite embarrassing for the club having to go to everyone else in the league to get their seal of approval so we can appoint a manager. Going begging bowl in hand to them.

I have no problem with Roeder getting the job if he's getting it for football reasons.

If he's getting it to keep the seat warm for Shearer thats a disgusting, farcical situation.

Is it true that O'Neill was put off because Lard Lad insisted Roeder and Shearer had to be part of the coaching set-up?

Guest Sima
I have no problem with Roeder getting the job if he's getting it for football reasons.

If he's getting it to keep the seat warm for Shearer thats a disgusting, farcical situation.

Is it true that O'Neill was put off because Lard Lad insisted Roeder and Shearer had to be part of the coaching set-up?

132758[/snapback]

Those last two points would not surprise me at all.

The last comment is a rumour no more no less.

132780[/snapback]

It's all rumours tbh, but Newcastle did speak to MON.

132784[/snapback]

My suspicion is that Fat Fred spoke to O'Neil and for whatever reason he said no, or i don't know and Fred instead of then going after a top manager from around europe (or a dirty foreigner as him And Oliver would call them!) has just went for Roeder.

I wouldn't be in the least surprised if O'Neil felt Shearer was going to be an interference at some point and that he wasn't happy about conditions of getting the job, but as said before we don't know this.

Roeder is far from the wrost option and will i feel do a decent job, but you just know Shepherd has done fuck all to go and get the best because most of them wouldn't be English and therfore couldn't "have a feel for the club" or "understand the fans and the area" etc. fill in your own cliched bullshit.

I think its a good appointment - Glenns made some real progress with the team - look at the stats of our final points in previous seasons and think what we could have done had Glenn been there from the beginning

On the flip side, if Roeder was rejected then i would have wanter MON or Allardyce and because Allardyce rejected the 1st offer a couple of years ago, FF wont go back in for him.

What a sad state of affairs :quotes:

132729[/snapback]

If a "name" manager had done what Roeder had managed, would you feel the same way?

132735[/snapback]

132748[/snapback]

Sorry mate, I can't agree. Roeder won those matches with the bare bones of a squad. People go on about how under strength Chelsea were yesterday.... :quotes:

All I'm saying is that you can't deduce anything about Roeder's perceived inability to take us further when he was working with such a depleted squad. The fact that he sustained it again after the blip (losses against big sides and Charlton away) gives me a lot of faith in him.

I don't think anyone could have done any better tbh....I say he's earned the right to a full season and a transfer budget.

As all he, (or anyone else) seems to be doing is keeping the seat warm for golden boy, it seems like the perfect arrangement....no "GREAT" manager is going to come to us with Big Al © breathing down his neck.

Let's see how Roeder gets on, bring in Shearer when he decides he fancies it and see what happens...until the Shearer question has been resolved (ie "can he manage?") we're in limbo anyway.