Pascal Chimbonda

Scottish Mag

WIGAN supremo Dave Whelan has sent a warning letter to Tottenham and Newcastle - telling them NOT to tap up star man Pascal Chimbonda.

Whelan is raging at behind-the-scenes moves to sign the Frenchman who was voted the Premiership's best right back. The outspoken Latics chairman has fired a fax to counterparts Daniel Levy and Freddy Shepherd after learning Chimbonda was wanted by Spurs and the Toon. Whelan wants between £6-8million for him and won't be dropping his price for the West Indian-born star who cost just £350,000 a year ago.

However Wigan boss Paul Jewell and Whelan knows that Chimbonda has been unsettled by the talk of a bigger club coming in, with Manchester United and Liverpool also watching him.

The big threat is Tottenham who have been sounding out Chimbonda's camp about a move. They would like to sneak him away cheaply but that won't happen without a fight. Whelan won't be afraid to call in the Premier League and FA if he thinks it necessary.

The strong-worded letter is the first step in that process if either Tottenham or Newcastle get in Chimbonda's head and make him look to leave the JJB.

Wigan are determined not to be a soft touch after making a huge first-season impact. Whelan knows he has other players who might be tempted to g o.

I suggest Dave Whelan needs to relise he's playing with the big boys now and if a bigger club wants your player(s) there's not a lot you can do about it.

Bullshit anyway i reckon, probably got a beware of the dog sign on his office door tbh

looking at him he seems very comfortable going forward but he's not the best defensively. good in the air and loads of pace.

probably worth 2.5 to 3 mil in the current climate.

better than steve carr... yes

top 4/5 club full back no.

Surely we have more serious problems in other positions than right-back? Carr can do a decent job I think, presuming he's fit. Rather get a left-back and a centre-half if/when Boumsong leaves.

132850[/snapback]

Trouble is he's never fit!

Surely we have more serious problems in other positions than right-back? Carr can do a decent job I think, presuming he's fit. Rather get a left-back and a centre-half if/when Boumsong leaves.

132850[/snapback]

Yeah i think with Carr, Ramage and Taylor all having played there we will be lookingfor a CB and LB first and that is right.

132850[/snapback]

Yeah i think with Carr, Ramage and Taylor all having played there we will be lookingfor a CB and LB first and that is right.