Boro field 11 Englishmen

Gemmill

I'm at the academy every weekend mate, and it's absolutely stunning. The system of coaching, scouting and facilities they have is better than the other two academies in the NE put together. Got a game with the Boro U18s in a few weeks, I'm sure they'll tonk the opposition, they're fucking fantastic.

Boro field 11 Englishmen, ...a canny few of them native Smoggies

And most of them are related :quotes:

Aye, as dull as McClaren is, he obviously runs things very professionally, and wouldn't settle for the sort of old boy's club we've had at SJP in recent times. Fair play to Gibson an'all. Hopefully things with our academy can improve with Roeder at the club longer term.

Guest CrimsonFault

My Sunday league team 2 years ago played them in a friendly, we beat them 6-2! :quotes:

Edited by CrimsonFault

Shepherd is seething with envy!

Fair play to them though, looks like they've got a canny academy set-up there.

133023[/snapback]

Could be wrong, but I reckon there's a lot of wanking over nowt much tbh.

Hope I'm right anyway.

133023[/snapback]

Could be wrong, but I reckon there's a lot of wanking over nowt much tbh.

Hope I'm right anyway.

133028[/snapback]

Not so much McClaren as Parnaby's dad that is charge of the youngsters,don't think McClaren hs much talent spotting ability

Bryan Robson doesn't get enough credit for the youth setup at Boro, as it's been Baldwin who has reeped the rewards

133023[/snapback]

I was thinking about this the other day. In the last two seasons, we've probably had more Geordies and Englishmen playing for the first team than in in the previous ten seasons combined. We've also gone from playing in the Champions League to being a mid-table team. Is there a correlation there? I'm not saying there is, but it just goes to show that people who blame everything on 'expensive foreigners' and 'disinterested mercenaries' are wrong.

Edited by Bombadil

133023[/snapback]

I was thinking about this the other day. In the last two seasons, we've probably had more Geordies and Englishmen playing for the first team than in in the previous ten seasons combined. We've also gone from playing in the Champions League to being a mid-table team. Is there a correlation there? I'm not saying there is, but it just goes to show that people who blame everything on 'expensive foreigners' and 'disinterested mercenaries' are wrong.

133062[/snapback]

Arsenal haven't done too badly over the years, have they? To be honest we've got nothing on countries like France when it comes to talent nuturing/training whatever. When Arsene Wenger copped all the flak from Pardew for not playing Englishmen I could see his point. Why should he play English players, when he can play foreigners that are twice as good at half the price?

Btw, despite evidence to the contrary today, I am not a closet Gooner. With a packet of sweets and a cheesy smile.... :quotes:

133023[/snapback]

133062[/snapback]

Arsenal haven't done too badly over the years, have they? To be honest we've got nothing on countries like France when it comes to talent nuturing/training whatever. When Arsene Wenger copped all the flak from Pardew for not playing Englishmen I could see his point. Why should he play English players, when he can play foreigners that are twice as good at half the price?

Btw, despite evidence to the contrary today, I am not a closet Gooner. With a packet of sweets and a cheesy smile.... :quotes:

133127[/snapback]

We've always been behind foreign countries in bringing through technically gifted young players. But its no surprise when you see some of the morons in charge of little kids teams running them into the ground and getting them to play 11-a-side and hump the ball into the air left right and centre!

One thing i've always wished we had at this club is Wenger's scouting network, he picks up the best young players and also he has the ability to get what will become world class players on the cheap before others do.

Edited by Papa Lazaru

133023[/snapback]

133062[/snapback]

What about the team that finished 2nd in 1996? Had a fair few Englishmen and Geordies in it.

133023[/snapback]

133062[/snapback]

What about the team that finished 2nd in 1996? Had a fair few Englishmen and Geordies in it.

133139[/snapback]

Yes. I was thinking of Robson's and Souness' reigns. There are always two extremes anyway - some of the teams that Gullit fielded were full of useless foreign players.

Guest alex
Who was it they were playing when Cattermole burst into tears on the pitch? :quotes:

133234[/snapback]

That would have been when they lost (4-0 I think) at home to Villa :quotes:

aye, love em or hate em i wish our academy produced the players theirs does. the last time a team had that many decent young players coming through was man united in the early 90s and look what happened there!

Danny Graham went to my school iirc, shame he didnt score yesterday, looked lively, quality handball/diving head/another handball combination for his disallowed goal!

Edited by J69

aye, love em or hate em i wish our academy produced the players theirs does. the last time a team had that many decent young players coming through was man united in the early 90s and look what happened there!

Danny Graham went to my school iirc, shame he didnt score yesterday, looked lively, quality handball/diving head/another handball combination for his disallowed goal!

133384[/snapback]

Have known young Mr Graham since he was born.....canny little player altho his ego is threatening to take over in a "do you know who I am" kind of way .. :quotes: