Robson: I wanted Carrick instead of Butt

Bobby Robson was in the papers this morning singing the praises of Michael Carrick and suggesting he should be in the England team after Rooney's injury.

The most interesting quote of the article: "I wanted to sign Carrick for Newcastle in the summer of 2004 for £3million but my chairman prefered the cheaper option, Nicky Butt"

Nice one Freddie. :quotes:

Bobby said he wanted him but the fat man said give it a bit as he won't want to sign for anyone else as he's a geordie and we'll get him for cheaper

Then signed Nicky Butt on the recommendations of one tithead by the name of Kieron Dyer

Hmm, Carrick or Butt its a tough one isn't it, i mean who here could say which way they'd go with that dilema!!!

FFS if thats true then Shepherd wants a serious kicking, and if he was available for £3m then its even more ludicrous.

Whats worse is he's a geordie so Fat Fred should have been shooting his load at the idea of signing him!

Bobby said he wanted him but the fat man said give it a bit as he won't want to sign for anyone else as he's a geordie and we'll get him for cheaper

Then signed Nicky Butt on the recommendations of one tithead by the name of Kieron Dyer

133085[/snapback]

Theres no way SBR based his tranfer policy on what Keiron Dyer said and with Butt he's an england international and manu player, Bobby will have seen enough of him over the years to know what he thought of him as a player!

But people always like a chance to blame Dyer for something or other!

133085[/snapback]

Theres no way SBR based his tranfer policy on what Keiron Dyer said and with Butt he's an england international and manu player, Bobby will have seen enough of him over the years to know what he thought of him as a player!

133089[/snapback]

Well in his book Bobby was still unsure to buy Butt but asked Dyer on an opinion of him which appeared to seal the dea.... and too right i wanna blame Dyer for everything!

133085[/snapback]

133089[/snapback]

Well in his book Bobby was still unsure to buy Butt but asked Dyer on an opinion of him which appeared to seal the dea.... and too right i wanna blame Dyer for everything!

133090[/snapback]

:quotes:

I suppose i can see that, you do hear players saying to managers that somebody was "The best player i've faced" or stuff like that.

You'd still be worried if Bobby was basing transfers on what Dyer or most other young players said though!

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, I remember many saying that Carrick wasn't doing anything special at West Ham, who he had chosen over us and therefore obviously wasn't a 'true' Geordie, and we were better off with the 'proven' Nicky Butt.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, I remember many saying that Carrick wasn't doing anything special at West Ham, who he had chosen over us and therefore obviously wasn't a 'true' Geordie, and we were better off with the 'proven' Nicky Butt.

133096[/snapback]

Undoubtedly happened! But i'd expect the people at the club to do better, and to be fair it sounds as if Bobby had, but Fat Fred didn't.

I personally wasn't sure if Carrick was going to be anything amazing, but he was highly rated in the game just like say Lampard and i'm not paid good money by the club or taking large dividends out of it so i'm allowed to make the mistake, Fat Fred isnt! :quotes:

Mind you i wasn't convinced about Butt either and would have taken Carrick for £3m as he was young, had potential and (even though i'm not in the Anal Oliver geordie obsessed gang) i think its good to have the odd geordie as long as they're good enough.

133096[/snapback]

I remember people saying that too. I was one of the few who thought Butt was an awful buy :quotes: Almost Gemmill-like foresight :quotes:

133096[/snapback]

To be fair, you're right and it probably is a case of hindsight (HINDSIGHT!! OMG11!1). A lot of people had had enough of our 'buy young and English' policy - and Butt was a proven senior international at the time we bought him.

Having said that, it still goes to show that Shepherd buys players over his manager's head, just like he did with Kluivert, Viana, Carr and probably many more.

Edited by Bombadil

133096[/snapback]

To be fair, you're right and it probably is a case of hindsight (HINDSIGHT!! OMG11!1). A lot of people had had enough of our 'buy young and English' policy - and Butt was a proven senior international at the time we bought him.

Having said that, it still goes to show that Shepherd buys players over his manager's head, just like he did with Kluivert, Viana, Carr and probably many more.

133103[/snapback]

They were all Robsons buys

133096[/snapback]

133103[/snapback]

133105[/snapback]

They were definitely not Robson's buys.

133096[/snapback]

133103[/snapback]

To be fair this is a case of him sayign you can't have £3m for Carrick and then Bobby settling for the cheaper player available because he knew we needed a player in that position, rather than Fat Fred buying a player he didn't want.

But then i'm biassed as i rarely if ever beileve stuff about the chairman buying players without the managers knowledge or consent because i don't think Bobby would put up with it for long, he is his own man and doesn't need it.

Edited by Papa Lazaru

133096[/snapback]

133103[/snapback]

133105[/snapback]

133106[/snapback]

Read his book and all shall be revealed

133096[/snapback]

133103[/snapback]

To be fair this is a case of him sayign you can't have £3m for Carrick and then Bobby settling for the cheaper player available because he knew we needed a player in that position, rather than Fat Fred buying a player he didn't want.

But then i'm biassed as i rarely if ever beileve stuff about the chairman buying players without the managers knowledge or consent because i don't think Bobby would put up with it for long, he is his own man and doesn't need it.

133109[/snapback]

Of course the manager has to agree to the transfer eventually, but it should never even come to that - all the chairman should do is say to the manager "look, you've got X amount of money to spend this summer", and nothing more. If I were Robson and Shepherd told me that he wouldn't pay £3m for Carrick, but that he'd give me permission to buy Butt for £2.5, I'd rather want Butt than end up with no-one. But again, it should never even come to that. The chairman's job is to provide the funds for the manager, he simply shouldn't have anything to say about which players he wants to see at the club.

133096[/snapback]

133103[/snapback]

133105[/snapback]

133106[/snapback]

133113[/snapback]

Robson had wanted to sign Seitaridis, Miguel or Trabelsi for a long time and in the end he had to settle for Carr - it was the same with Beattie and Kluivert IIRC.

133096[/snapback]

133103[/snapback]

133109[/snapback]

Of course the manager has to agree to the transfer eventually, but it should never even come to that - all the chairman should do is say to the manager "look, you've got X amount of money to spend this summer", and nothing more. If I were Robson and Shepherd told me that he wouldn't pay £3m for Carrick, but that he'd give me permission to buy Butt for £2.5, I'd rather want Butt than end up with no-one. But again, it should never even come to that. The chairman's job is to provide the funds for the manager, he simply shouldn't have anything to say about which players he wants to see at the club.

133116[/snapback]

God i'd forgotten we actually paid £2.5m for Butt plus his obscene wages!!!

If we can shift him for £1m or even £0.5 and trim him from the wage bill it'll be good news!

133096[/snapback]

133103[/snapback]

133105[/snapback]

133106[/snapback]

133113[/snapback]

Robson had wanted to sign Seitaridis, Miguel or Trabelsi for a long time and in the end he had to settle for Carr - it was the same with Beattie and Kluivert IIRC.

133117[/snapback]

He stated in his book they were his purchases

133096[/snapback]

133103[/snapback]

133105[/snapback]

133106[/snapback]

133113[/snapback]

133117[/snapback]

He stated in his book they were his purchases

133120[/snapback]

They were his purchases, but they were not the players he had wanted in the first place. Shepherd had vetoed a move for Seitaridis earlier in the year.

I seem to remember both Freddie and Sir Bobby both being happy to wait until after the World Cup to see how both players performed, by then Seitaridis had agreed to European Champions Porto and Miguel had a £10 million price tag on his head.

Trabelsi turned us down to go to Arsenal, a move which fell through.