England Squad

Tooj

Andy Johnson ahead of Darren Bent seems a very strange decision.

After 5 years of conservative decisions, Sven has finally shown a little imagination however SWP should have gone ahead of Lennon imho

133487[/snapback]

Superb choice to take Lennon instead of SWP in my opinion. Walcott is a very strange choice though.

133491[/snapback]

Why does it have to be Lennon ahead of SWP!? How about why SWP's hasn't been picked ahead of Heargreaves or Jenas? & not even there in stand-by?

133496[/snapback]

Because they are centre-mids, and SWP is a winger.

133499[/snapback]

Central midfielders who can offer what exactly in regards to Hearvgreaves & Jenas?

It doesn't have to be tit for tat, all thou that is the case...! :quotes: We have a strong enough midfield, but SWP's is very versatile as he can play off the front two as well as in midfield. He can offer a hell of a lot more than both Jenas & Hearvgreavs put together....

Edited by Geordie Boyo

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It amazes me how Hargreaves is an international footballer, the lad is useless. As usual Sven proves how much of an idiot he is, and the future England manager would of had some input into these decisions too.

133494[/snapback]

Ah, I think that's to do with how well he playes for Bayern Munich..

133497[/snapback]

Well it shouldn't be...!

If you get your chance at international level and play total shite then you deserve fuck all chance of being in there. He's had many opportunities but has always been shite, imo.

Walcott must be something special, I hope that the gamble pays off.

But, Darren Bent has scored 18 league goals this season in a very very average Charlton side. To have him behind Defoe (9 goals all season) and Andy Johnson (15 goals in the championship) is beyond baffling...

Andy Johnson ahead of Darren Bent seems a very strange decision.

After 5 years of conservative decisions, Sven has finally shown a little imagination however SWP should have gone ahead of Lennon imho

133487[/snapback]

Superb choice to take Lennon instead of SWP in my opinion. Walcott is a very strange choice though.

133491[/snapback]

Why does it have to be Lennon ahead of SWP!? How about why SWP's hasn't been picked ahead of Heargreaves or Jenas? & not even there in stand-by?

133496[/snapback]

Because they are centre-mids, and SWP is a winger.

133499[/snapback]

Central midfielders who can offer what exactly in regards to Hearvgreaves & Jenas?

It doesn't have to be tit for tat, all thou that is the case...! :quotes: We have a strong enough midfield, but SWP's is very versatile as he can play off the front two as well as in midfield. He can offer a hell of a lot more than both Jenas & Hearvgreavs put together....

133503[/snapback]

I agree I would have taken him purely because he can play upfront if necessary (where he actually look more dangerous imo)

Surely if Walcott was that good already, he'd have played for Arsenal before now in the Premier League.

133492[/snapback]

no-one had heard of pele before the 58 world cup. no-one wanted to give rooney a chance in the 2002 qualifiers, owen was over-rated at WC98 etc.

I for one am glad he is going cos although johnson, bent, crouch etc. have scored a few goals this year, none of them are international class. Hel not be scared of facing 'name' players, hel just go on and do his thing if he gets a chance.

Lennon is the same too, hes played class these last 10 games. so he might not have the experience of some of the other midfielders but surely we should be taking in form players with us. not just the lads that used to be good and have a few caps to their name.

Surely if Walcott was that good already, he'd have played for Arsenal before now in the Premier League.

133492[/snapback]

Lennon is the same too, hes played class these last 10 games.

133508[/snapback]

I'm just not sure that 10 good games is enough. Perhaps it's irrelevant given that Golden knackers would have entirely immobilised before Sven would drop him.

Guest alex

133492[/snapback]

no-one had heard of pele before the 58 world cup. no-one wanted to give rooney a chance in the 2002 qualifiers, owen was over-rated at WC98 etc.

I for one am glad he is going cos although johnson, bent, crouch etc. have scored a few goals this year, none of them are international class. Hel not be scared of facing 'name' players, hel just go on and do his thing if he gets a chance.

Lennon is the same too, hes played class these last 10 games. so he might not have the experience of some of the other midfielders but surely we should be taking in form players with us. not just the lads that used to be good and have a few caps to their name.

133508[/snapback]

Pele is arguably the greatest player ever though and Rooney was already highly rated and had played a fair few games for Everton prior to going to Euro 2002 though. Same with Owen before 98. Surely if he was as good as any of them he would have featured in a league game for Arsenal. Seems like a massive gamble to me given the other strikers' worries.

But, Darren Bent has scored 18 league goals this season in a very very average Charlton side. To have him behind Defoe (9 goals all season) and Andy Johnson (15 goals in the championship) is beyond baffling...

133505[/snapback]

Johnson was the top English goal scorer last year & wasn't picked, remember that was in a relegated side. Bent has been in awful form so i wouldn't call it 'beyond baffling'. Interesting choices, I agree Reo-Coker should go ahead of Jenas or Hargreaves (Though he's meant to have been in good form at Munich).

Guest alex

I think it's a bit weird to be taking 3 players who can all play wide-left too.

Edited by alex

133505[/snapback]

Johnson was the top English goal scorer last year & wasn't picked, remember that was in a relegated side. Bent has been in awful form so i wouldn't call it 'beyond baffling'. Interesting choices, I agree Reo-Coker should go ahead of Jenas or Hargreaves (Though he's meant to have been in good form at Munich).

133515[/snapback]

The difference for me is that Andy Johnson looked like a one-season wonder (in the same way Marcus Stewart did) but Bent looks like he'll score goals for a few more seasons yet. I could be proved wrong (on both counts)

Reo-Coker's looked a really good player this season. I think he's been unlucky not to get picked. But then every English midfielder in the top two divisions is unlucky when you consider that Jenas and Hargreaves are both going and they're both turd.

Just to reiterate re Walcott. It's one of the most ridiculous decisions I've ever seen. The lad is 100% unproven, has never played a Premiership game, and is going to play in the WORLD CUP man! Either Sven is mental, or this kid is out of this world in training and reserve games.

EDIT! In which case, why isn't Wenger picking him? If he's THAT good.

Edited by Gemmill

Reo-Coker's looked a really good player this season.  I think he's been unlucky not to get picked.  But then every English midfielder in the top two divisions is unlucky when you consider that Jenas and Hargreaves are both going and they're both turd.

Just to reiterate re Walcott.  It's one of the most ridiculous decisions I've ever seen.  The lad is 100% unproven, has never played a Premiership game, and is going to play in the WORLD CUP man!  Either Sven is mental, or this kid is out of this world in training and reserve games.

EDIT!  In which case, why isn't Wenger picking him?  If he's THAT good.

133523[/snapback]

Who knows maybe Arsene will pick him against Barca. From Southampton youth team to Champions League and World Cup winner in 12 months. :quotes:

Having done all my twisting about Walcott......I'd like to see him play, so maybe in Rooney's absence (realistically!) he'll give things a bit of interest. Sven probably won't even play him now though. :quotes:

According to Harry Redknapp he "runs through puddles and doesn't make a splash", he's that quick.

Imagine if you're him though!? He must have been looking at Sven watching him training and thinking "Eh? What's he doing here......surely not?!" I can't see Sven not taking him now either - it would be a pretty crushing blow for a lad just turned 17 to be named provisionally and then not go.

Guest alex
I bet Ritchie's bought a Trinidad and Tobago top with Scotland on the back ;)

133529[/snapback]

Ah good old Jason Scotland. :quotes:

133532[/snapback]

I was up at the Isle of Mull a bloke from Glasgow told me it's the best selling shirt up there at the moment. Someone's done a 'Scotland' World Cup song too. Canny funny I reckon :quotes:

I bet Ritchie's bought a Trinidad and Tobago top with Scotland on the back ;)

133529[/snapback]

Ah good old Jason Scotland. :quotes:

133532[/snapback]

I was up at the Isle of Mull a bloke from Glasgow told me it's the best selling shirt up there at the moment. Someone's done a 'Scotland' World Cup song too. Canny funny I reckon :quotes:

133533[/snapback]

Won't be as good as "Ally's Tartan Army" tbh.. ;)

I am more dismayed at the inclusion of Hargreaves than any of the others. Ive never seen a decent game from him in an England shirt. He offers nothing different at all.