England Squad

Tooj

One of the worst England squads I've ever seen named.

Wait a minute this is the side that talksport, the media etc are claiming that you have practically won the World Cup. I also keep hearing this is the best England squad in years.

Yes no doubt Defoe, Wright Phillips and Bent are unlucky and question marks are raised about the likes of Walcott, JJ and Hargreaves, but are these 3 or 4 players really the difference between you being the Worlds "best team" and an awful one?

133746[/snapback]

Aye, Talksport are thick though, to be fair. As are most of the English press who are claiming we're off over there to bring the cup back home. That's not what anyone with a brain thinks. :quotes:

With Rooney fit, and Sven using his brain, it is probably the best squad in years though.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eriksson on Walcott:

"I've seen him perhaps three times in training," said Eriksson. "At Arsenal training on Saturday I saw him play 11 against 11 on a half pitch."

If I was Darren Bent I would be fucking devastated tbh.

133725[/snapback]

The thing is with Walcott is that on the face of it, it's not the worst idea in the world. Eriksson is often criticised for making 'safe' choices, whereas Walcott is real out of the box thinking. It is a gamble, but he could be a revelation.

BUT

Rooney's knackered, Owen is being told he can't play in a testemonial because he might break down, Crouch doesn't score goals. We need a proven goalscorer. And Bent has been scoring for fun.

If we had no injuries, and/or there were no outstanding candidates, then maybe Walcott would be worth a gamble. In this situation it's not one we can afford to take IMO.

Saying all that, he COULD be a revelation, but there's very little to suggest he will.

I don't have a problem with Sven making the odd gamble, but taking a 17 year old lad that he's only seen dribbling round cones and playing ONE practice match on a half-size pitch to the World Cup isn't really an informed gamble. It's lunacy.

Honestly, I think it's a poor squad, and that forward line looks very dodgy. It's still touch and go whether Rooney will actually play a part at all, Owen will have played 20 minutes of competitive football in 6 months. I don't mind Crouch, but he's not exactly going to scare the shit out of anyone. This is the World Cup, and there are some very good centre halfs in it. Luckily, we've got a few of them, which is why I think our problem will not be conceeding goals but scoring them. Defoe should be in like, Sven has had plenty of time to inlcude Walcott in friendlies and hasn't. Aye, I know Owen and Rooney were bairns when they played at big competitions, but they'd had at least one season of regualr competitve PL football where they'd proven they could mix it with the big boys. I hope the lad comes good and runs defenses ragged, but I doubt it.

I don't have a problem with Sven making the odd gamble, but taking a 17 year old lad that he's only seen dribbling round cones and playing ONE practice match on a half-size pitch to the World Cup isn't really an informed gamble.  It's lunacy.

133761[/snapback]

Agreed that it's a hell of a risk.....but you, I and the whole fucking country knows that if Walcott does become a revelation in the same way Gascoigne, Owen and Rooney did, the very members of the press who are slating him now will be hailing him as a genius for playing a master stroke!

It is a nice deflection from Rooney-gate though, don't you think?

Sven doesnt need to worry if it doesnt come off because he wont have a job here anyway. You cant take 2 world class strikers out of a team and still say that we've got a great chance of winning the WC. Crouch if anything at all is a game changer, not someone who starts! Should have taken 5 strikers even though theyre saying Cole can be

I don't have a problem with Sven making the odd gamble, but taking a 17 year old lad that he's only seen dribbling round cones and playing ONE practice match on a half-size pitch to the World Cup isn't really an informed gamble.  It's lunacy.

133761[/snapback]

Agreed that it's a hell of a risk.....but you, I and the whole fucking country knows that if Walcott does become a revelation in the same way Gascoigne, Owen and Rooney did, the very members of the press who are slating him now will be hailing him as a genius for playing a master stroke!

133773[/snapback]

But there is absolutley nothing to suggest he will become a revelation. Gazza, Rooney and Owen had all proven they could mix it in the league before they went to a tournement.

If (presumably) he's wanting to start with Owen, then he'll have to play Crouch alongside him. Can't see how Walcott and Owen would work-apart from the massive inherent gamble in playing someone who doesnt even have any top division experience, Owen needs a physical presence alongside him.

Crouch/Owen to start then. Which is all well and good but as SLP said, Crouch is almost certainly going to get found out against the better centre halves. I think Sven's thinking is that he stays in for the group stage and then beyond that he determines it on a match to match basis depending on the oppostition. He's obviously going to be praying for Rooney to be fit by then (unlikely), but I think we might actually see Walcott come in at the knockout stage.

To be honest, the more I think about it, the more I think it'd be for the best if Rooney was left at home and a different striker was brought in from the start of the competition to give us greater options and a more settled camp.

Guest alex
If (presumably) he's wanting to start with Owen, then he'll have to play Crouch alongside him. Can't see how Walcott and Owen would work-apart from the massive inherent gamble in playing someone who doesnt even have any top division experience, Owen needs a physical presence alongside him.

Crouch/Owen to start then. Which is all well and good but as SLP said, Crouch is almost certainly going to get found out against the better centre halves. I think Sven's thinking is that he stays in for the group stage and then beyond that he determines it on a match to match basis depending on the oppostition. He's obviously going to be praying for Rooney to be fit by then (unlikely), but I think we might actually see Walcott come in at the knockout stage.

To be honest, the more I think about it, the more I think it'd be for the best if Rooney was left at home and a different striker was brought in from the start of the competition to give us greater options and a more settled camp.

133788[/snapback]

Would that mean (hypothetically) Owen and Bellamy couldn't play together? :quotes:

133788[/snapback]

Would that mean (hypothetically) Owen and Bellamy couldn't play together? :quotes:

133801[/snapback]

Well with Bellamy being Welsh I would doubt it. You`ll need to stick to Walcott, Bent, Defoe etc

:quotes:

133788[/snapback]

Would that mean (hypothetically) Owen and Bellamy couldn't play together? :razz:

133801[/snapback]

:razz:

Hypothetically and in every real sense.

Plus Bellamy is a cunt. ;)

133761[/snapback]

133773[/snapback]

But there is absolutley nothing to suggest he will become a revelation. Gazza, Rooney and Owen had all proven they could mix it in the league before they went to a tournement.

133779[/snapback]

I agree, however I seem to recall Owen was a newcomer to the England fold and there was uproar that he'd been included in the squad for France 98.

His pace will scare the shit out of defenders though - definitely one to bring on for the last 15 mins or so.

Apparently there's an 80% chance of Rooney being fit and his injury isn't quite as bad as the press are making out.

And before anyone says 'source', it's a colleagues, brothers, friend who knows the physio who's treating him.

Apparently there's an 80% chance of Rooney being fit and his injury isn't quite as bad as the press are making out.

And before anyone says 'source', it's a colleagues, brothers, friend who knows the physio who's treating him.

133820[/snapback]

It's a smokescreen. He'll definately play.

EDIT: That's because I told you Craig :razz:

I've heard something along similar lines that the Rooney injury is a bit of a smokescreen...

133822[/snapback]

Conspiracy theory tbh. Treated by surgeons at Roswell. Some grainy black and white footage leaked to the press apparently.

Why take Hargreaves and Jenas but only four strikers?

I wouldn't have thought Walcott was such a big gamble if he was one of five strikers rather than four.

Would it really harm the squad to drop Jenas or Hargreaves and put Defoe or Bent in?

I don't think so.

Suprised scott parker not in the squad like, I know he's ill but when is he due back?

133916[/snapback]

Sven's never picked him mate, so he wasn't really likely to given that he's missed the last two months of the season. He doesn't rate him.

I think I'm the only person not too bothered by the squad.

Swap Hargreaves and Jenas for any other 2 players, and you're sorted.

133569[/snapback]

i agree. to me the squad is pretty exciting - especially if owen and rooney make it.

walcott might be worth a punt. i'd have taken defoe instead of jenas or hargreaves - 4 strikers is a bit light when two of them are injured and i don't see why we need 9 midfielders unless we're playing 4-5-1.

i wouldn't fancy having to rely on andy johnson for goals and darren bent must be a bit gutted to be fair

I think I'm the only person not too bothered by the squad.

Swap Hargreaves and Jenas for any other 2 players, and you're sorted.

133569[/snapback]

i agree. to me the squad is pretty exciting - especially if owen and rooney make it.

walcott might be worth a punt. i'd have taken defoe instead of jenas or hargreaves - 4 strikers is a bit light when two of them are injured and i don't see why we need 9 midfielders unless we're playing 4-5-1.

i wouldn't fancy having to rely on andy johnson for goals and darren bent must be a bit gutted to be fair

133939[/snapback]

I seem to be in the minority as well

I agree, however I seem to recall Owen was a newcomer to the England fold and there was uproar that he'd been included in the squad for France 98.

His pace will scare the shit out of defenders though - definitely one to bring on for the last 15 mins or so.

133808[/snapback]

Untrue. The majority of the public wanted Owen in ahead of Sheringham (in the first eleven). Got their wish in the end. :razz:

Agree his pace will be an asset and has potential but he has never even mixed it in the PL. HUMONGOUS gamble imo

Y the hell did they not put bent as reserve and defoe instead of crouch, because hes shocking!

he ant even good enough 2 wer the makems shirt instead of an england shirt :razz: