Sven tells Owen not to play on Thursday..

Scottish Mag

England boss Sven Goran Eriksson has told Michael Owen that he is not to play in Alan Shearer's testimonial on Thursday.

Owen has yet to prove his fitness since fracturing a metatarsal against Tottenham on New Year's Eve, with the Newcastle front-man thought to have been keen to play against Celtic.

His international boss does not, though, share his enthusiasm and has now laid down the law in terms of his involvement.

Having named just four strikers in his provisional World Cup squad, including Wayne Rooney, Eriksson is understandably keen to wrap up his senior marksman in cotton wool before the finals.

"I have told Michael he cannot play on Thursday," confirmed Eriksson.

"It would be the worst thing in the world if he was to break down in a testimonial game.

"Knowing Michael Owen, he will be thinking about the World Cup and wanting to take part in it."

Eriksson is eager instead for Owen to sharpen his fitness whilst playing for England B in their game with Belarus at Reading on May 25.

Friendlies against Hungary and Jamaica follow at Old Trafford, with Owen likely to play a prominent role in all the games as he searches for much needed match fitness.

What are the chances of him hurting himself in a testimonial FFS? It's a good chance to get a bit of sharpness back without having the risk of competitive challenges and tackles, surely?

Sven's got a fucking cheek after picking Walcott, who, it transpires this morning he's NEVER SEEN PLAY!

If he thinks Owen is so incapable he can't manage probably half a testimonial then he musn't be fit enough to be in the squad.

Surely the thing Owen needs is to start getting some playing time under his belt and in a testimonial he's less liekly to get clattered.

When they play friendlies he's going to have to "risk" Owen or is he going to keep him out of those too so he arrives at the world cup totally lacking in match fitness???

Remind me who pays the cunts wages as Sven the swedish pervert seems to have forgot.

134212[/snapback]

The sooner he gets back to running his Adult Books store the better. Is that still there by the way?

134223[/snapback]

Think it moved. Used to be near the Broken Doll (can't remember the street name), or so i was told....

Guest alex

I had a thought recently about Owen that worried me. The Times and The Sunday Times have kept banging on about how he has a clause in his contract that allows him to move if a £12million bid is received. Big deal, just paper talk you might think, but Owen has a column in The Times and the same paper is serialising his autobiography.

I had a thought recently about Owen that worried me. The Times and The Sunday Times have kept banging on about how he has a clause in his contract that allows him to move if a £12million bid is received. Big deal, just paper talk you might think, but Owen has a column in The Times and the same paper is serialising his autobiography.

134342[/snapback]

If it really worries you, PM leazesmag. He knows all about clauses in contracts for our current and ex-players.