Milner on his way back to Villa

Craig

David O'Leary has reiterated his desire to make James Milner's loan at Aston Villa from Newcastle United permanent - and believes the Magpies are also eager to push through a deal.

The former Republic of Ireland defender is confident of pulling off a deal he thinks all the relevant parties - including Milner - are keen on.

O'Leary handed Milner his Premiership debut at the age of just 16 when he was manager of Leeds United and has brought the best out of United's £3.6m signing this season.

"I hope the Milner deal is just done because I regard him as a Villa player," O'Leary said when he outlined his priority for this summer's transfer activity at Villa Park.

"We need young, hungry players to freshen up the squad, but I won't regard him as a new player.

"I'm hopeful because the boy wants to come here and I think Newcastle want to do a deal - that's what I've been told by my club. I think he should be here because I regard him as a Villa player."

Less clear is the future of another of the Newcastle players who have been loaned out during the season.

It has been confirmed midfielder Nicky Butt will return to St James's Park after Birmingham City's relegation.

The former Manchester United player will hardly be welcomed back to Tyneside as a returning hero having made negligible impact on his first season in the North-East, save for upsetting his own fans by refusing to acknowledge them after the FA Cup semi-final defeat to his former side.

Meanwhile, Alan Shearer has thrown his support behind the bid to make Glenn Roeder the club's next manager after the former defender took the Magpies into this summer's Intertoto Cup.

Roeder was the highest-placed English manager in this season's Premiership after Newcastle ended the campaign in seventh. United will now play either Norwegian side Lillestrom, Irish outfit Dungannon Swifts or IBK Keflavik of Iceland over two legs for the right to play in next season's Uefa Cup second qualifying round.

Having taken over a team in danger of being sucked into a relegation battle Shearer, who has been assisting Roeder this term, thinks the caretaker manager deserves his reward.

"I hope he gets it (the job) because he deserves it," he said.

"When he took over in February, if everyone was honest, we were looking at the other end of the table.

"That (the turnaround) is a great credit to Glenn and to the rest of the players and he's worked so hard to get the club into Europe, he obviously wants a shot at it now, and rightly so.

"He's got the bug, he's got that winning feeling." For Shearer to get his way, Newcastle will have to persuade 14 Premiership chairmen to waive the league's requirement for its managers to hold a Uefa Pro Licence or equivalent.

Shearer, meanwhile maintains he will not retain a coaching position next term but could fill an ambassadorial role.

"There are still talks ongoing between myself and the chairman, but I can't really say too much more on that because nothing is finalised," he added.

Stephen Carr is expected to hear today if his appeal for wrongful dismissal in Saturday's 1-0 win over Chelsea has succeeded. The Irish defender was sent off for violent conduct after allegedly stamping on Lassana Diarra.

Source: http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcast...-name_page.html

I hope the deal (if there's one there) falls on it's arse for that comment alone! :quotes:

O'Leary is completely out of order on this one. He should be keeping his mouth shut until a deal is done instead of basically saying to Milner "Newcastle want rid of you, but I want you here, James. Will you play for me James? Oh pleeeeease!".

I've said it before, but if I was Shepherd I'd be on the phone to him telling him the deal's off because of the way he's handled it. I also hope we don't sell this kid. It makes absolutely no sense - he's ours and it'll cost more to replace him than we get for him.

This seems like old news. The headline suggested it was a done deal. I'd be very disappointed to see him leave. More so for the sort of money Villa are talking. A young English player with talent. Why do we want to sell him again? Selling him now only means we'll have to fork out double in 2 years time.

I really hope to god we don't sell him. He's been one of the few shining lights at Villa this season and we should be using that as a reason to keep him NOT to get more money for him!

Despite what that fuckwit says, he is OUR player and therefore we should be pulling out all the stops to keep him. I fear that if he goes, we'll seriously regret it.

Knowing Newcastle United mind, we'll sell him and keep Nicky Butt! :quotes:

Wasn't it O'Dreary who shouted his mouth off about Beattie wanting to come to Villa when he was still a Southampton player. Can't stand the bloke personally, sly little shit who gets away with a canny bit consdering he's a piss poor loser and a bit of a mouthy twat. The twat will be sacked sooner rather than later anyway.

Never been overly impressed with Milner when i've seen him, would be interested to know what value we've put on him though. I'd be midly surprised if Glenn would want him sold without having seen him train with the other NUFC players. Maybe it's not Glenn's decision.....

He's hardly been outstanding for Villa, as some people on here claim.

He was shite for us.

133802[/snapback]

Remember who was managing him though.....

I've said it once and I'll say it again....

David O'Leary has too many shapes on his face.  :razz:

133748[/snapback]

Peasepuds double tbh

Now thats a 'Werepig' FACT..

133751[/snapback]

:razz:;)

He was shite for us.

133802[/snapback]

133828[/snapback]

So a better manager would teach him how to cross a ball?

He was shite for us.

133802[/snapback]

133828[/snapback]

So a better manager would teach him how to cross a ball?

133894[/snapback]

He has been outstanding for Villa, depending on your definition of outstanding obviously.

His crossing is a million times better than it was when he played here.

Edited by Wullie

Guest Sima

He was shite for us.

133802[/snapback]

133828[/snapback]

Robson?

He was shite for us.

133802[/snapback]

133828[/snapback]

Robson?

134135[/snapback]

for 3 games, yes.....

and the rest? :razz:

He was shite for us.

133802[/snapback]

133828[/snapback]

Robson?

134135[/snapback]

for 3 games, yes.....

134195[/snapback]

Dean Saunders

Guest Sima

He was shite for us.

133802[/snapback]

133828[/snapback]

Robson?

134135[/snapback]

for 3 games, yes.....

134195[/snapback]

Doesn't matter, he's shite.