Sony reveals Playstation 3 Price

Jimbo

The new PlayStation 3 (PS3) will hit Japanese stores on 11 November, with the US and Europe following less than a week later, Sony has announced.

The console will be available in two versions starting at $499 (394 euros).

Sony revealed the launch details in Los Angeles ahead of this week's games expo E3.

The PS3 is the successor to the best-selling PlayStation 2 and will compete with Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Nintendo's Wii.

The machines make up the next wave of video gaming. The Xbox 360 is already available, while the Wii is due out later this year.

The three console makers are competing for the hearts and minds of gamers in an industry worth more than $25bn annually.

November date

Sony currently dominates in the home, having sold more than 100 million PlayStation 2s, so it has much riding on the new console.

It had originally planned to launch the system in the spring, but was forced to delay due to issues with its new Blu-ray DVD drive.

PlayStation 3 controller

The new controller has a tilt sensor

"We are not about cutting corners to rush a product to market," said the head of Sony game unit in the US, Kaz Hirai, at the company's pre-E3 news conference.

"The next generation doesn't start until we say it does. Today the PlayStation 3 is real."

Gamers have been eagerly waiting to hear more about the system and its price in order to decide whether to wait for the PS3 or shell out on an Xbox 360 now.

The PS3 sports a new processor called Cell which promises significant computing prowess, online connectivity and high definition graphics.

Japanese gamers will be the first to get their hands on the PS3 on 11 November. The console will arrive in the US and Europe on 17 November.

Sony also revealed the price of the console, which comes in two models. The system with a 20GB hard drive will cost $499 in the US, while a model with a 60GB will cost $599.

Exact pricing in the UK is unclear but at current exchange rates the basic model would be around £330.

Motion sensitive

The system will come with a new controller. Sony has abandoned last year's boomerang-shaped prototype and reverted to a design similar to the current model for the PlayStation 2.

Heavenly Sword screenshot

The Heavenly Sword demo was impressive

One key difference is the inclusion of a motion sensor in the wireless Bluetooth controller.

In a demonstration, a virtual duck was made to jump out of the water by moving the controller upwards.

Sony is following in the footsteps of Nintendo, which has opted for a one-handed motion sensitive controller for its Wii console.

In order to satisfy gamers wanting a PS3 for Christmas, Sony said it planned to have two million units available at launch worldwide, with a further two million by the end of the year.

When Microsoft launched its Xbox 360 last November, many gamers were left frustrated by supply shortages.

The software giant has since ramped up production and has sold more than three million units, giving it a valuable head start.

Sony will also face competition from Nintendo's new machine, expected out later this year.

In the game

The exact list of games available for the PS3 at launch is still unclear. At its E3 news conference, Sony showed off playable demos of a number of titles.

These included a ninja fighting title called Heavenly Sword, an intense first-person shooter called Resistance: Fall of Man and an interactive monster card game called Eye of Judgement.

Game enthusiasts will get a chance to try out the games on the show floor once E3 opens its doors on Wednesday.

The expo is the annual showcase for the games industry, with more than 400 companies from 90 countries taking part.

"The next generation doesn't start until we say it does. Today the PlayStation 3 is real."

I can just picture the little dweeb writing this speech, dressed in combat fatigues like the blokes on Robot Wars. :quotes:

Guest alex

I can just picture the little dweeb writing this speech, dressed in combat fatigues like the blokes on Robot Wars. :quotes:

133782[/snapback]

Star Wars fan tbh.

One of my work mates went into a shop at the weekend asking to buy a PS2 and the spotty oik serving him said:

"i'd wait for the PS3 mate"

Told him he wanted a console now, not in however long it'll take for the PS3 to become available. The lad apparently persisted and almost went as far as to refuse to sell him the console.

In the end he told him, "you've just lost a sale, i'm off to buy it elsewhere"

One of my work mates went into a shop at the weekend asking to buy a PS2 and the spotty oik serving him said:

"i'd wait for the PS3 mate"

Told him he wanted a console now, not in however long it'll take for the PS3 to become available. The lad apparently persisted and almost went as far as to refuse to sell him the console.

In the end he told him, "you've just lost a sale, i'm off to buy it elsewhere"

133792[/snapback]

He's obviously very committed to the cause! Twat.

I think I'll get a PS3, I haven't had a console since the first Playstation. I might wait for the price to go down a bit though.

or just wait till the prcie comes down and the number and quality of games increase

134026[/snapback]

Or just use the good platforms like the Genesis and NES. :razz: