Roeder eyes Toon revival

Scottish Mag

Chelsea stars Joe Cole and Glen Johnson gave their own vote of thanks to Glenn Roeder after Sunday's Barclays Premiership defeat at Newcastle.

The pair, who made their names as youngsters at West Ham during the 50-year-old's reign at Upton Park, waited for him after the game and presented him with their shirts.

"It was a nice gesture from Joe and Glenn, and one I appreciated very much," said Roeder.

The Magpies manager elect donated the shirts to be raffled for the city's famous Walker Boys Club, but while delighted with the gesture, he admitted he had banned his own players from hanging around the Chelsea dressing room.

Roeder was delighted to guide his side to a 1-0 victory over the champions which secured seventh place and the chance of European football next season.

However, his ambitions are far loftier - he hopes to be appointed the new permanent manager if chairman Freddy Shepherd can win approval from his fellow chairmen - and while he admires Chelsea, he does not want his players to be star-struck.

"I want other teams to ask for our players' signatures," he said.

Roeder was still basking in a remarkable end to a difficult season today as planning for the future began in earnest.

He and Shepherd face a series of challenges even if they manage to persuade the Premier League shareholders the former Newcastle defender should be allowed to take the job.

But for a few days at least, Roeder can reflect upon a remarkable finish to the season which saw his side win 10 and draw two of their 15 league games to make a late and ultimately successful challenge for Europe.

It was perhaps fitting such an impressive run was concluded with victory over the best side in the country, and while it was a much-changed Chelsea team which ran out at St James' Park, it took a monumental effort to see them off.

Titus Bramble's 73rd-minute goal ultimately won the day, but after Stephen Carr's dismissal two minutes later, a packed house played their part.

"I noticed when I was here as a player, that when we got a goal up, the fans will not let you lose," said Roeder.

"The volume was as intense on Sunday as anything I have ever experienced, and I know it affected Chelsea.

"In fact at one stage, I looked across at Jose Mourinho and saw he was having difficulty getting his instructions across."

"I want other teams to ask for our players' signatures"

I don't want him as next manager but if he keeps saying stuff like this while getting results it's hard to think of a good reason not too.

I don't want him as next manager but if he keeps saying stuff like this while getting results it's hard to think of a good reason not too.

134083[/snapback]

Why not?

134083[/snapback]

Why not?

134105[/snapback]

I know you weren't asking me but;

His previous record at other clubs.

His handling of Luque.

His allowing Faye near the squad.

The performance against Charlton and the first half against the makems.

The concern that he won't be able to attract the calibre of players we want.

Bringing on Boumsong in midfield against Birmingham.

His handling of Dyer's injury.

He does have other thinigs going for him of course like the improvement in the back four since he took over and he appears to be a good coach who talks sense and represents the club well.

But I just think it's a wasted oppertunity yet again.