NUFC STATEMENT - Dispensation Granted

Gemmill

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

So am I now that Sonatine's posted!  Welcome back mister.

134257[/snapback]

Been lurking for months, just couldn't be arsed to post :razz:

134260[/snapback]

I know! I've posted a few times imploring you to post - I even started a thread on it, and you duly ignored it. :razz:

I'm pleased....he knows the set-up and won't want to ask for a season to acquire his "door openers" :razz: before results pick up.

...and presumably he's also comfortable with the Shearer situation which frankly no other manager is likely to be.

:razz:

Shocking, shouldn't have been offered the job and shouldn't have been allowed to accept the job. Saying that he'll have my full support but overall very disappointing.

Shocking, shouldn't have been offered the job and shouldn't have been allowed to accept the job. Saying that he'll have my full support but overall very disappointing.

134263[/snapback]

Booo hissss to the non-believer! :razz:

I'm happy for the bloke and wish him all the best. The little giggle he did at full time on Sunday coupled with his pigeon-in-a-suit walking on the lap of honour sealed it for me. :razz:

He's a nice bloke, and a bit of an NUFC hero for services to the club, but I can't help feel the board are taking the easy way out yet again. We could do better, but our board can't be bothered.

It's a better appointment than Souness was. Also better than Bruce, O'Leary, Allardyce, Hoddle and others touted would have been.

The only thing that really annoys me is the lies our chairman comes out with. Why does he feel the need to talk it up so much when he evidently had no-one of world class experience lined up? It just undermines Roeders position before he even got the job.

Anyhow, good luck Glenn.

:razz:

Well, just to be different. I cant imagine that the board say back, chucked other applicants names in the bin (OLeary, Bruce, Fat Sam perhaps) and just went "nah, cant be arsed, just give it to Roeder". I think Hitsfeld was never an option, I doubt there was ever even any contact. Scolari is another in the same mould. We were never the top job that Fred seems to think and for not getting those above (Sam, DOL etc) Im glad.

Glen has came in, done a job and done it well. Despite many saying he only beat lower placed teams, they conveniently forget wins against spurs, bolton, wigan and chelsea.

Underwhelmed perhaps, glad its sorted definately. Next season I'd be happy with securing maybe 5th and getting into UEFA Cup (not via intertoto) anything more is a bonus (and maybe doubtful).

I am though curious about ONeil. Did he not want the job? wasnt it offered? better offer elsewhere? who knows. If the Glens the man then so be it.

Blah blah blah, sorry, Ive bored myself now....

Interesting stuff from the resident Spurs fan on N-O. He posted this a while back before Roeder got the nod, but it's nice to read positive stuff about the bloke. I know it's "only Hoddle", but as much as I think Hoddle is a bit of a tosser, I rate him as a football-thinker, so it's nice to hear he has nice things to say about Roeder. By the way, this Spurs fan has just won a couple of grand from Roeder getting appointed (I know it hasn't been announced yet, but), the bastard! :razz:

Here's what he said:

"Although I have met GR, it's never been close enough of long enough to honestly form an opinion of the guy although 'sour incompetent and no leader of men', sour yes, the other two no.

I've met him on 3 occasions, once to talk to for about 5/10 minutes, plus a couple of fleeting 'hello, well played'. Also overheard him when he was the West Ham youth coach in matches against the Spurs kids. He struck me as very ambitious, very positive and very perceptive, going on to the spanners kids about shortcomings in the Spurs kids that I hadn't really been aware of but when he said it, you could see what he meant. Always seemed to be a great motivator, getting more out of some than was really there, it was easy to see why man management is thought to be one of his strengths.

Most of what I knew about him came from Glenn Hoddle, who I know well. Hoddle wanted Roeder on the coaching staff when he went to Spurs in addition to Hughton, and it was Hoddle that appointed him to the England coaching setup when he was manager, at that time Roeder was still the West Ham youth coach. Hoddle will talk to anyone for hours on end about tactics and training methods and was obviously well impressed with Roeder's thinking. The fact that Roeder held a low profile job wouldn't have made any difference, Hoddle appointed Peter Taylor to be the u21 coach when Taylor was manager of Dover Athletic.

Hoddle told me that Roeder was one of the strongest minded and ambitious people he knew in football, maybe that surprised me a bit because he doesn't strike me as having that sort of mentality, very knowledgeable and perceptive undoubtedly, but not strongminded, not in the Fergie style anyway. When you remember that Hoddle is really thick with Wenger, his comments about Roeder are a big compliment. Reading between the lines, I think Hoddle rates Roeder higher than Taylor from the coaching perspective, even though Taylor got the higher profile job, I may be wrong, but I don't think so. There's no doubt he was unlucky at West Ham having both Di Canio and Kanoute out for 6 months, losing your 2 best strikers and not being given money to replace them would hurt any team. Terry Brown, the spanners chairman, is tighter with his money than Doug Ellis and when they got hit with injuries, and no money to get replacments in, they went down. I never saw that as relegation brought on by Roeder, simply self inflicted by Brown.

The one area of management he's never really been tested on in signing new players, but I would guess with his ability to identify strengths and weaknesses in players, I don't think that would be a problem."

On the positive side, we have someone who's bothered about the club. Unlike previous "big name" trophy winners like Dalglish, Gullit and Souness. So who can say. I prefer to look at the potential of someone who can take a selling club like West Ham to 7th rather than the next season when he had a life threatening illness

Good Luck Glenn, you were a smashing player for the club I hope you are as good a manager and if nowt else you've restored my optimism and feeling for the club after the dark days of Souness

Well that's one thing out the way, now we just have to offload as much shit as possible to see where we stand on who we can & can't buy.

Personally I would have been more happy with someone like Raneri there with Roaeder alngside him as his assistant, but I'm quite happy with his appointment. He deserves it at the end of th day so lets see how he does.

Why the fuck is it taking 'til Monday to make the announcement?

Anyway, I'm seriously underwhelmed but I think JAWD might have a valid point. The job just isn't as attractive as what it has been made out to be (which with our chairman shouldn't be a surprise) and we simply didn't have the world class candidates that the fat man claimed (unless he thinks the likes of Bruce and O'Dreary are world class in which case I'm more than a little concerned). And quite possibly the spectre of Shearer is more than a little off putting to some.

It will be interesting to see how Freddy plays this one. Will he claim that Roder was always first choice (which would be a blatent lie and undermine him straight away), will he admit no one decent wanted the job or will he claim that as they were firming up a list Roder's performance as caretaker pushed him to the front. I suspect it will be the latter and I suppose in a way that's the best way to go although to me it just highlights our lack of any sort of planning from day one.

Like I said underwhelmed and dissapointed that we haven't made the strides forward I was hoping for. Perhaps this will serve to lower my expectations to a more realistic level and just accept the fact that we missed our oppertunity to break into the elite of English and European football when Keegan was here and until we get a billionaire of our own I think the best we will ever be is challenging for the wafa cup with the likes of Spurs and whoever else pops up into those places for season or two.

Well that's one thing out the way, now we just have to offload as much shit as possible to see where we stand on who we can & can't buy.

Personally I would have been more happy with someone like Raneri there with Roaeder alngside him as his assistant, but I'm quite happy with his appointment. He deserves it at the end of th day so lets see how he does.

134282[/snapback]

Someone mentioned that if the league was based from the point of Roeders arrival we'd be third. Don't know if it's true, but if it is, why is a cull required. He's done that well with bad injuries to some of our best players too.

Edited by Happy Face

Why the fuck is it taking 'til Monday to make the announcement?

134284[/snapback]

Maybe it isn't Roeder. They seem to go to great effort to point out they could appoint him, without saying they will. Seems very odd to even release the statement if it confirms nothing.