Bramble a happy Magpie

Scottish Mag

Titus Bramble has celebrated his match-winning goal against Chelsea and Newcastle United's return to Europe by revealing that he has never been happier on Tyneside.

Bramble's outstanding central defensive partnership with Craig Moore - the duo have helped keep three consecutive clean sheets in their last three games - has been the building block upon which the Magpies' late push for Intertoto Cup qualification was built.

The former England Under-21 international has matured considerably both on and off the pitch, first under the strict discipline of Graeme Souness and, more recently, under the confidence inspiring guidance of Glenn Roeder.

And Bramble, who endured some horrendous personal criticism early on in his Newcastle career, is relishing the opportunity to prove exactly why former manager Sir Bobby Robson was willing to gamble £5m on his potential when he signed him from Ipswich Town in 2002.

"I'm really enjoying my football, I didn't want the season to come to an end," said Bramble, whose scintillating second-half volley against Chelsea last weekend was enough to secure a seventh place finish and qualification for next season's Intertoto Cup.

"In fact, this is the happiest I've ever been at Newcastle. It's been a gradual process, but I think the fans have seen the improvement. It bodes really well for next season and hopefully I can pick up where I've left off this season.

"There is a buzz about the place again. We're going to have to come back early for pre-season because of the Intertoto Cup, but we don't mind. We want to be in Europe next season, it's where a club like Newcastle deserves to be, it's where the fans deserve to be and it's where the players want to be.

"Like all Newcastle defenders, I've had my critics, some would say more than my fair share, but it's encouraging those people are now willing to praise me as well. That's all you ask for, if you play badly you have to expect to be criticised, but if you play well, you should be praised and I've not always felt that has been the case as a Newcastle player.

"I wouldn't say I've been inspired by the problems I've had in the past, but I'm more focused now and it's been very satisfying to have people saying complimentary things about me."

Bramble's goal against the Premiership champions was his second of the season, but the powerful centre-half is adamant he should be contributing even more to the side.

He added: "Getting that goal against Chelsea, I think everybody could see how much it meant to me. I probably don't score enough goals and next year I'm going to set myself a target of between six and eight for the season."

Meanwhile, United will have a good indication as to whether they will be able to appoint Roeder as permanent manager, despite his failure to hold the Uefa Pro Licence, in the next 24 hours.

The Premier League expect to receive the results of a postal ballot of the 20 Premiership chairmen today and, if the indications are the necessary two-thirds are willing to allow Roeder to take the job, it will be ratified at the Premier League AGM on June 2.

He added: "Getting that goal against Chelsea, I think everybody could see how much it meant to me. I probably don't score enough goals and next year I'm going to set myself a target of between six and eight for the season."

A bit optimistic there seeing as how none of our midfielders could manage more than 6 this season though fair play to him, he's aiming high.

Good to see him happy and full of confidence, it can only help his game. He's done alright alongside Moore though he would get even better alongside a competent assured centre back though whether we have the money for one remains to be seen.

134311[/snapback]

That would be 7 Titus. :razz::razz:

He does seem capable of getting a few goals. Bernard used to pop up with a couple, Dabizas and Albert used to get a good few as well.

It would seriosuly take the pressure off if we could get a few more from him.

I do worry about his form though. It seems that every time he has a great spell, it's distrupted through either injury, or a break(International/end of season), and his return to the fold results in a few crap performances.

I'm getting sick of telling mates that Bramble has turned a corner and is no longer shit.

Then he implodes.