Da Vinci 'disclaimer'

sweetleftpeg

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She was right to protest against it like, it's a big bag of lukewarm shite.

141652[/snapback]

I've been castigated for trying to fight the good fight against Peter Jackson.

141652[/snapback]

141658[/snapback]

Only hacks should be fought. Neither Peter Jackson or Ron Howard are tbh.

Fight the better fight against Michael Bay, Keenen Ivory Wayans, Aaron Seltzer, Mike Mitchell, Paul W.S. Anderson etc. Total gimpoids.

Only hacks should be fought.  Neither Peter Jackson or Ron Howard are tbh.

Fight the better fight against Michael Bay, Keenen Ivory Wayans, Aaron Seltzer, Mike Mitchell, Paul W.S. Anderson etc.  Total gimpoids.

141695[/snapback]

I did say I don't really have a problem with him, it's really the attention he gets - I know IMDB is not a great source (I try to balance IMDB and the Guardian to find a middle-ground) but I believe all 3 of the Lord of the Rings are in the top 10, along with X Men!

Anyway - why fight these guys, if people stop watching them, they'll stop getting made.

Ron Howard should be strung up for that like. The dumbing down of what was already a fairly simple book was totally unnecessary. As was changing the ending, and the dumbening down of the Langdon character. And some of the dialogue is utterly utterly laughable.

Guest alex

141652[/snapback]

141658[/snapback]

Fight the better fight against Michael Bay, Keenen Ivory Wayans, Aaron Seltzer, Mike Mitchell, Paul W.S. Anderson etc. Total gimpoids.

141695[/snapback]

Who? Serious question.

Only hacks should be fought.  Neither Peter Jackson or Ron Howard are tbh.

Fight the better fight against Michael Bay, Keenen Ivory Wayans, Aaron Seltzer, Mike Mitchell, Paul W.S. Anderson etc.  Total gimpoids.

141695[/snapback]

I did say I don't really have a problem with him, it's really the attention he gets - I know IMDB is not a great source (I try to balance IMDB and the Guardian to find a middle-ground) but I believe all 3 of the Lord of the Rings are in the top 10, along with X Men!

Anyway - why fight these guys, if people stop watching them, they'll stop getting made.

141698[/snapback]

IMDB top 10 movies:

1. 9.1 The Godfather (1972) 165,045

2. 9.0 The Shawshank Redemption (1994) 198,770

3. 8.9 The Godfather: Part II (1974) 94,202

4. 8.8 The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003) 149,348

5. 8.8 Casablanca (1942) 82,334

6. 8.7 Schindler's List (1993) 122,437

7. 8.7 Shichinin no samurai (1954) 43,682

8. 8.7 Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980) 131,871

9. 8.7 Pulp Fiction (1994) 172,845

10. 8.7 Star Wars (1977) 167,641

Think the 3 LOTR films did used to be all in the top 10 though.

Anyway Peter Jackson is a legend, 3 LOTR films, Bad Taste, Braindead, Meet The Feebles and if you fancy a change, Heavenly Creatures.

Ron Howard should be strung up for that like.  The dumbing down of what was already a fairly simple book was totally unnecessary.  As was changing the ending, and the dumbening down of the Langdon character.  And some of the dialogue is utterly utterly laughable.

141699[/snapback]

The mind boggles. He may not be due an Oscar but possibly a Nobel prize for achieving what quantum physicists had previously thought impossible.

Edited by DotBum

141652[/snapback]

141658[/snapback]

141695[/snapback]

Who? Serious question.

141703[/snapback]

Pearl Harbour, Scary Movies, Date Movie, Deuce Bigalow, Resident Evil directors. Absoloute dirge.

IMDB top 10 movies:

1. 9.1 The Godfather (1972) 165,045

2. 9.0 The Shawshank Redemption (1994) 198,770

3. 8.9 The Godfather: Part II (1974) 94,202

4. 8.8 The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003) 149,348

5. 8.8 Casablanca (1942) 82,334

6. 8.7 Schindler's List (1993) 122,437

7. 8.7 Shichinin no samurai (1954) 43,682

8. 8.7 Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980) 131,871

9. 8.7 Pulp Fiction (1994) 172,845

10. 8.7 Star Wars (1977) 167,641

141705[/snapback]

And X-men isn't even in the top 250.

Anyway Peter Jackson is a legend, 3 LOTR films, Bad Taste, Braindead, Meet The Feebles and if you fancy a change, Heavenly Creatures.

141705[/snapback]

In fairness, the new films do tend to balance out after a while, after the nerds have seen them. I'm pretty sure Sin City was on there when it first came out. Fucking Jesus W Corbett on an Ferris Wheel.

And I don't understand what he has to be congratulated for on the Lord of the Rings.

Edited by DotBum

141705[/snapback]

In fairness, the new films do tend to balance out after a while, after the nerds have seen them. I'm pretty sure Sin City was on there when it first came out. Fucking Jesus W Corbett on an Ferris Wheel.

And I don't understand what he has to be congratulated for on the Lord of the Rings.

141712[/snapback]

Then we'll leave it be here or we'll be in for a long and pointless argument in this thread!

But you're right about the films balancing out as they used some sort of weighted system that ensures things can't just get a rush of 10's from geeky fans and remain at the top.

Guest alex

Ah reet, I rarely know who directs what. Haven't seen any of them but I would imagine they are really bad. Life's too short.

Edit: re: those Directors.

Edited by alex

Guest alex

141705[/snapback]

141712[/snapback]

Helping the New Zealand Tourist Board? :(

I reckon Jackson did some good work with LOTR, mainly the condensing of what was pages and pages describing a hill, into just a good shot of a hill.

141722[/snapback]

He also made the Council of Elrond bearable. I never got past it in my first 5 or 6 attempts at the book.

141721[/snapback]

Spot on.

I see there are 2 Star Wars movies in the top 10, obviously far worse than anything Jackson ever did - and they weren't voted in there by kids either - explain that Nicos! :(

141721[/snapback]

Spot on.

I see there are 2 Star Wars movies in the top 10, obviously far worse than anything Jackson ever did - and they weren't voted in there by kids either - explain that Nicos! :(

141726[/snapback]

Explain why 2 all time classic films get into the top 10? Just because films are aimed at kids, doesn't preclude them from being any good. Entirely apart from the technical achievement of those Star Wars films, they're just a whole lot of fun.

Do you like ANY fun, action, sci-fi or fantasy type PG films?

Guest alex

They're the most popular, what constitutes the greatest is entirely personal. The Star Wars trilogy ar a good laugh but I doubt they'd get anywhere near my top 10. Doubt anyone else gives a shit what my top 10 is though.

Edited by alex

141721[/snapback]

Spot on.

141726[/snapback]

Explain why 2 all time classic films get into the top 10? Just because films are aimed at kids, doesn't preclude them from being any good. Entirely apart from the technical achievement of those Star Wars films, they're just a whole lot of fun.

141733[/snapback]

There are an absolute load of people who grew up with the star wars films and who love them to this day and continue to love them as adults, ensuring that they will always be high up in any such lists.

The fact that they are and always have been amazing kids films, but merely good adult films that are very enetrtaining but contain some very poor scripting/dialogue etc. doesn't matter to some people.

The LOTR films are great films fullstop, but being fantasy preculdes them in some peoples eyes from ever being given the credit they eserve because some people can never accept fantasy whether it be flms, books, tv or whatever.

They're the most popular, what constitutes the greatest is entirely personal. The Star Wars trilogy ar a good laugh but I doubt they'd get anywhere near my top 10. Doubt anyone else gives a shit what my top 10 is though.

141734[/snapback]

Alex, whats your top 10, i have to know!!!

141734[/snapback]

Tell us, tell us now!! We have to know!!!

Explain why 2 all time classic films get into the top 10?  Just because films are aimed at kids, doesn't preclude them from being any good.  Entirely apart from the technical achievement of those Star Wars films, they're just a whole lot of fun.

141733[/snapback]

Plenty, Pirates of the Carribean off the top of my head. I wouldn't assume that because I'm critical of poor scripts and terrible plots, that I don't like all of a certain class of film. I'm by no means a film snob.

I understand why Star Wars is in the top 10, although maybe not for the so postively crafted reasons you give, I was really just getting at you about your earlier argument about them being for kids - most of the stuff made for adults is worse than the kids stuff, if we give them crap they'll graduate to crap. You're the one who's trying to oust Michael Bay. :(

Guest alex

141734[/snapback]

Tell us, tell us now!! We have to know!!!

141744[/snapback]

:( Fuck off you two.