Hints...

Scottish Mag

Wednesday was a busy day for Newcastle Chairman Freddy Shepherd, who issued two statements via the official website and also found time to chat live to Sky and the BBC, before making his way to Shearer's Testimonial dinner.

The Sky and club quotes appear elsewhere on this site, but speaking to BBC Radio 5, Freddy said:

"we'll be announcing the new management structure on Monday."

That would imply that there's a bit more to things than a simple rubber-stamping of Glenn's shift from temporary to permanent charge.

While we have a vacancy for Roeder's former position at the head of the Academy, it remains to be seen whether new blood appears on the senior backroom team, or the likes of Tommy Craig will maintain their recent involvement next season.

However after the efforts made to include Roeder in things, it would seem illogical for us to be looking to go down the route of a new face to occupy some sort of Director of Football type-role- unless they also lacked a ProLicence....   

Quotes from Alan Shearer given to Sky on Wednesday seemed to confirm that his immediate role at the club would be from the stand, not the dugout:

"I think common sense has prevailed and we all hope he does a great job.

"His record in the last three or four months would suggest that (he is the best man for the job).

"He came in first of all and said he didn't want the job, but that's what football does to you.

"He's got the taste of winning and it's a great feeling. He wants more of that and I don't blame him.

"He knows me very well, I know him very well, and we trust each other.

"I'll be coming to watch as many games as I can here over the coming months.

"It's my club and I want to stay involved with it."

Never mind putting a proper coaching structure in place when we just appoint locals eh.

I just have this vision that anyone going for an interview with the fat man is like going into the local shop in League Of Gentlemen!

Never mind putting a proper coaching structure in place when we just appoint locals eh.

I just have this vision that anyone going for an interview with the fat man is like going into the local shop in League Of Gentlemen!

134717[/snapback]

As promising Roeder has been for us, he's been appointed because he's a yes man who won't interfere when Shepherd sticks his oar in and wants to sign players/appoint coaches etc.

O'Neill, Hitzfeld wouldn't have stood for it, which is why they didn't get the job IMO.

134717[/snapback]

As promising Roeder has been for us, he's been appointed because he's a yes man who won't interfere when Shepherd sticks his oar in and wants to sign players/appoint coaches etc.

O'Neill, Hitzfeld wouldn't have stood for it, which is why they didn't get the job IMO.

134722[/snapback]

i think you've hit the nail on the head.

134717[/snapback]

134722[/snapback]

134726[/snapback]

His post made a kind of nail-on-head kind of thud.

Guest alex

134717[/snapback]

134722[/snapback]

134726[/snapback]

It's possibly why O'Neill turned the job down too.