Boumsong to stay?

Scottish Mag

Jean-Alain Boumsong has rejected talk of a summer departure and in the process committed his long-term future to Newcastle.

The 26-year-old Frenchman has not enjoyed the best of times since arriving in the North East from Rangers and has in recent weeks been linked with a return to his homeland.

Towards the close of the season Newcastle's caretaker boss Glenn Roeder relegated Boumsong to the bench and with the former West Ham chief set to be handed the reins on a permanent basis on Monday, speculation has been rife that the defender could be on this way.

Boumsong, though, does not share the same view and has now pledged to fight for his first team place and establish himself as a key player at St James' Park.

''This season, I have not achieved my aims,'' he told L'Equipe. ''But the year has been very important to me.

''It was very difficult to endure. Now I hope to be happy and have fun, and it can still be the case at Newcastle.

''This club has a huge potential, but it should develop it with good people.

''I still have four years remaining on my contract. I have no desire to leave, I am just looking for stability.''

While Boumsong admits he has yet to show the Toon faithful his true capabilities, what he cannot accept is the plethora of criticism that has been levelled in his direction.

The imposing stopper believes the level of attacks have reached ridiculous levels but is hopeful that these hurtful words will only make him stronger.

''I have been much criticised, but I didn't give up, despite the exaggerated attacks,'' he continued.

''It was incredible being hounded like this! People from football wanted to hurt me.

''I can accept critics, but you cannot put all the failure on one man. I believe it is disgusting and unfair.

''But it will help me in my career and my life. Now I am stronger, and nothing can affect me anymore.

''That also allowed me to understand some things about the club, football and the unpredictable nature of human beings.

''In a way, I thank my detractors, they forced me to question myself and improve. They didn't kill me.''

To be fair, he's right in a way, the press and the fans have been over the top with some of the critiscism. If he played for someone for Aston Villa and made mistakes like that then fuck all would have been said. However, the BBC love a bit of cliched 'Newcastle are shit at defending' so highlighted them more. Still, he deserved to be dropped and we've coped much better without him.

I saw him go to ground against Chelsea, I honestly reckon that's the first time he's ever done it. I agree some of the criticism has been over the top, He still looked woeful, though, and he is the worst defender I can remember watching.#

''I have been much criticised, but I didn't give up, despite the exaggerated attacks,'' he continued.

''It was incredible being hounded like this! People from football wanted to hurt me.

''I can accept critics, but you cannot put all the failure on one man. I believe it is disgusting and unfair.

''But it will help me in my career and my life. Now I am stronger, and nothing can affect me anymore.

''That also allowed me to understand some things about the club, football and the unpredictable nature of human beings.

''In a way, I thank my detractors, they forced me to question myself and improve. They didn't kill me.''

The words of a man on the verge of a nervous breakdown tbh.

Guest alex

I turned to my Dad and said the same thing re: his going to ground. He also did his customary act of getting caught in possession. Poor man's Andy O'Brien tbs tbs

Send the bugger back tbh.

134752[/snapback]

These boots aren't the ones we wanted son.

He's shite, simple as. I couldn't believe how fickle the fans were against Chelsea, actually getting behind him if he did anything remotely right. He was still shite imo, and the 8 million price tag from Rangers is just taking the piss.

He's shite, simple as. I couldn't believe how fickle the fans were against Chelsea, actually getting behind him if he did anything remotely right. He was still shite imo, and the 8 million price tag from Rangers is just taking the piss.

134766[/snapback]

He's not to blame for the price tag, though, no harm in trying to give him a bit of confidence. I agree we should bite the bullet, though, we've been fucked and a couple of million from a French team would be good money for him.

Guest alex

134752[/snapback]

134766[/snapback]

Booom! You mean? :razz: I reckon he's just saying all the right things (a la Luque) and (like Luque) will be on his way still. Hope so anyway.

134752[/snapback]

134766[/snapback]

And here's me thinking we were just getting behind everyone on the park.

Guest alex

134752[/snapback]

134766[/snapback]

134776[/snapback]

Like the crowd did with Shola (who clearly isn't good enough either) but has had a canny bit better season than Boumsong? :razz:

134752[/snapback]

134766[/snapback]

134776[/snapback]

I get behind the team, and never boo. But some people seem to think it's acceptable to boo Boumsong one minute, and boom him the next! Hypocrites.

Does anyone really believe the crowd can improve his confidence and make him a decent player? I don't want him at the club - he's a liability who will cost us games.

134752[/snapback]

Where to? Africa?

Racist tbh!

134796[/snapback]

It reminded me of that song sung by Tim Healy in Phoenix nights, but no-one got my reference. :razz:

Guest alex

134752[/snapback]

Where to? Africa?

Racist tbh!

134796[/snapback]

It reminded me of that song sung by Tim Healy in Phoenix nights, but no-one got my reference. :razz:

134802[/snapback]

I got it, the racist folk band :razz:

134752[/snapback]

Where to? Africa?

Racist tbh!

134796[/snapback]

134802[/snapback]

I got it, the racist folk band :razz:

134809[/snapback]

I thought it was obvious.

134752[/snapback]

Where to? Africa?

Racist tbh!

134796[/snapback]

It reminded me of that song sung by Tim Healy in Phoenix nights, but no-one got my reference. :icon_lol:

134802[/snapback]

I got it, the racist folk band ;)

134809[/snapback]

I thought it was obvious.

134810[/snapback]

Same here and theres always a place for Phonix Nights references!

As for Boom, i'm glad at anytime the fans get behind a player, especially ones with little or no confidence because it does help, for that game at least and its always better to have a good atmosphere rather than one filled with booing, moaning and whinging at players.

He's also right as SLP said that the criticism was way over the top and thats because he's a toon defender and the law is they have to be reidiculed as worse than any defenders in any other team even when its not tue.

However he isn't good enough and certainly not suited to the premiership and we have to hope he has a good world cup and we can get a reasonable fee for him.

Jean-Alain Boumsong has spoken of his excitement at the prospect of lining-up for France at the World Cup.

Despite an up-and-down campaign for Newcastle this term, Boumsong is nevertheless tipped to start in Germany alongside Lilian Thuram.

The pair have established themselves as an accomplished central defensive partnership and Boumsong is hopeful that he will continue to be given the nod in the summer.

Boumsong believes the fact he has not always been a first choice at St James' Park could work in his favour, and lead to him feeling fresh heading into the biggest tournament of his career thus far.

''I did what I have to do to go to the World Cup,'' Boumsong told L'Equipe. ''I have prepared myself exactly as if I would go.

''I have not played 60 matches in the season, I will be ready.

''What I experienced in springtime will be a plus for Germany. I want to play and bring something to the French team.

''Now I have a status to defend. My partnership with Thuram is very strong.

''We listen and respect each other. I know he won't hide and won't let me get into trouble.

''We both have that integrity. There is a kind of attraction between us.

''I would give a lot to play with him at a club.''

So it was an elaborate ploy to play shit all season as so he could be dropped to keep himself fresh for the World Cup?

;)

eye with out boum we where a much better team, we looked solid at the bak

:icon_lol:

135079[/snapback]

good grief, 16 words, 3 spelt incorrectly, 'back' to school in the morning?

actually 2 of the words should actually be joined together so does that mean 4 mistakes out of 16? I'l check with the other teachers and get your final score at hometime ;)

Edited by zico martin