Salute Our Shearer: Wayne Rooney

Craig

WAYNE Rooney was a special guest at Alan Shearer's Testimonial dinner at St. James' Park on Wednesday night.

And the most exciting talent in English football admits the departing Newcastle United skipper was one of big heroes growing up in Liverpool.

Writing in the Alan Shearer official Testimonial programme, Wayne says: "I am constantly asked who my heroes were growing up - and it is always the same answer.

"Duncan Ferguson, because I was an Everton fan and all Everton fans love Big Dunc, and Alan Shearer because he was England's number nine and that was what I dreamed of being one day.

"Both of them figured strongly in my desire and determination to be a professional footballer, but none moreso than Alan Shearer, England's centre-forward.

"My early memories of Al were during Euro 96 when I was 10. The whole country had gone football mad - I didn't have to as I was already - and England were outstanding during the tournament and none were better than Shearer.

"Me, my mates and families watched all the matches together, especially the England games when the atmosphere was fantastic.

"I particularly remember the match against Holland when England destroyed them and Super Al scored a great goal smashed in his customary style into the top of the net.

"I went out and practised Al's technique until it went too dark to se the goalposts!

"I have been privileged like all of us here tonight to watch some fantastic performances from him for both club and country, and I have also been privileged to be on the same pitch as him.

"Unfortunately, I have never been lucky enough to be in the same team as him, but I am pretty sure we would have bonded well together.

"Alan talked a few weeks ago about how he had been blessed and lived his dream. Alan, I would personally like to thank you for helping make my dream come true, for watching you made me realise all I ever wanted to do was be a professional footballer.

"I hope it's a great night Alan, and all the best to you and your family for the future."

Source: http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsD...~828332,00.html

You had the chance bonny lad, but you turned it down.... ;)

WAYNE Rooney was a special guest at Alan Shearer's Testimonial dinner at St. James' Park on Wednesday night.

And the most exciting talent in English football admits the departing Newcastle United skipper was one of big heroes growing up in Liverpool.

Writing in the Alan Shearer official Testimonial programme, Wayne says: "I am constantly asked who my heroes were growing up - and it is always the same answer.

"Duncan Ferguson, because I was an Everton fan and all Everton fans love Big Dunc, and Alan Shearer because he was England's number nine and that was what I dreamed of being one day.

"Both of them figured strongly in my desire and determination to be a professional footballer, but none moreso than Alan Shearer, England's centre-forward.

"My early memories of Al were during Euro 96 when I was 10. The whole country had gone football mad - I didn't have to as I was already - and England were outstanding during the tournament and none were better than Shearer.

"Me, my mates and families watched all the matches together, especially the England games when the atmosphere was fantastic.

"I particularly remember the match against Holland when England destroyed them and Super Al scored a great goal smashed in his customary style into the top of the net.

"I went out and practised Al's technique until it went too dark to se the goalposts!

"I have been privileged like all of us here tonight to watch some fantastic performances from him for both club and country, and I have also been privileged to be on the same pitch as him.

"Unfortunately, I have never been lucky enough to be in the same team as him, but I am pretty sure we would have bonded well together.

"Alan talked a few weeks ago about how he had been blessed and lived his dream. Alan, I would personally like to thank you for helping make my dream come true, for watching you made me realise all I ever wanted to do was be a professional footballer.

"I hope it's a great night Alan, and all the best to you and your family for the future."

Source: http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsD...~828332,00.html

You had the chance bonny lad, but you turned it down.... ;)

134822[/snapback]

god, i feel old :icon_lol: