Virus not food poisoning for Spurs

Scottish Mag

Tottenham have been told that a stomach virus caused the sickness in their squad ahead of the West Ham game on Sunday.

Sky Sports News say that scientific tests have shown that there was nothing wrong with the food eaten by the Spurs players at the Marriott Hotel in Canary Wharf - it was just a stomach bug.

The club had been threatening to sue the East London hotel after several players - including Michael Carrick - were struck down with sickness that left them vomiting until the kick-off of the game at Upton Park.

Hotel manager Paul Downing said: “The first test result back has showed it was some kind of neural virus, but we are awaiting further results, which are due back later today."

Spurs lost the game 2-1 and were ousted from fourth spot by Arsenal, leaving the chairman Daniel Levy requesting that their game against the Hammers was replayed.

The Premier League understandably rejected their cheeky request and Levy reacted to the appeal decision with dismay, saying he despaired at the state of the rules which did not take into account such matters as food poisoning.

He said: "We are disappointed, but not surprised. We continue to feel justifiably aggrieved at the course of events and remain convinced that the game should never have been played.

"If the loss of over half a selected squad to an inexplicable illness in highly suspect circumstances does not warrant the postponement of a match, then I can only despair at the state of our governing rules."

But now it seems that those 'highly suspect circumstances' were not so highly suspect after all.

So, can we expect them to put up the letter of apology to both the hotel and FA to appear on their website? I won't hold my breath. Cockney mackems.

134863[/snapback]

I think the hotel should sue them. I'm serious.

God I hate Spurs.

as much as i hate spurs with a passion, it does beg the question, at what point would a game be abandoned due to illness or act of god.

as much as i hate spurs with a passion, it does beg the question, at what point would a game be abandoned due to illness or act of god.

134890[/snapback]

It is an interesting question, when do you have enough players out for a cancellation.

I think your best bet is if all your keepers were taken out and you had nobody adequate to play in goal, thn you may have a chance.

God I hate Spurs.

134866[/snapback]

My first and second thoughts on reading that piece.

Gemmill - what the fuck are you doing online? If I ever get this addicted to the board please feel free to ban me.

PS What colour hankie have you got hanging out your arse pocket today?

So, can we expect them to put up the letter of apology to both the hotel and FA to appear on their website? I won't hold my breath. Cockney mackems.

134863[/snapback]

God I hate Spurs.

134866[/snapback]

I concur.

God I hate Spurs.

134866[/snapback]

Gemmill - what the fuck are you doing online? If I ever get this addicted to the board please feel free to ban me.

134901[/snapback]

I haven't left yet man! Today is packing and sorting my house out, and returning Cath's cats day. I fly tomorrow morning. All travel arrangements were made with Tyneside's greatest son in mind. ;)

God I hate Spurs.

134866[/snapback]

134901[/snapback]

I haven't left yet man! Today is packing and sorting my house out, and returning Cath's cats day. I fly tomorrow morning. All travel arrangements were made with Tyneside's greatest son in mind. ;)

134935[/snapback]

It's nice of you to think of Jimmy when you're off on your hols

Spurs letter of apology still not up on their website yet? They were quick to get the letter of complaint to the FA on there. Bloke who runs the websute must be on his holidays this week. ;)