Shearer Statue...

Guest Sima

Heard that.

Shepherd is an absolute wanker. Hopefully they'll put it at a part of the ground I don't have to walk past.

Heard that.

Shepherd is an absolute wanker.  Hopefully they'll put it at a part of the ground I don't have to walk past.

135085[/snapback]

Why?

135087[/snapback]

Because Sima is a miserable bastard.

I don't agree with the statue at all though....

Guest Sima
Heard that.

Shepherd is an absolute wanker.  Hopefully they'll put it at a part of the ground I don't have to walk past.

135085[/snapback]

Why?

135087[/snapback]

135088[/snapback]

So you agree with me but still felt the need to throw an insult? Never mind eh.

Heard that.

135085[/snapback]

Why?

135087[/snapback]

135088[/snapback]

So you agree with me but still felt the need to throw an insult? Never mind eh.

135092[/snapback]

No, I don't see the need for a statue, but would have no problem walking by it. Anyway, answer the question if you can....

Guest Sima

Jackie Milburn won trophies with the club and scored a bucketload of goals and he didn't get one until he passed on.

While I appreciate Shearer's contribution to the team in the past, I subscribe to the school of thought that his time at the club over the past 2-3 years has restricted the club somewhat in moving forward. Yes, he is the record goalscorer but at times it has been to the detriment of the bigger picture of progress.

Jackie Milburn won trophies with the club and scored a bucketload of goals and he didn't get one until he passed on.

While I appreciate Shearer's contribution to the team in the past, I subscribe to the school of thought that his time at the club over the past 2-3 years has restricted the club somewhat in moving forward.  Yes, he is the record goalscorer but at times it has been to the detriment of the bigger picture of progress.

135097[/snapback]

Thanks. Good post.

Guest Sima

While I appreciate Shearer's contribution to the team in the past, I subscribe to the school of thought that his time at the club over the past 2-3 years has restricted the club somewhat in moving forward.  Yes, he is the record goalscorer but at times it has been to the detriment of the bigger picture of progress.

135097[/snapback]

Thanks. Good post.

135099[/snapback]

Howay man, I'm not HTT and this isn't NO, they'll be after you for using that catchphrase.

While I appreciate Shearer's contribution to the team in the past, I subscribe to the school of thought that his time at the club over the past 2-3 years has restricted the club somewhat in moving forward.   Yes, he is the record goalscorer but at times it has been to the detriment of the bigger picture of progress.

135097[/snapback]

Thanks. Good post.

135099[/snapback]

Howay man, I'm not HTT and this isn't NO, they'll be after you for using that catchphrase.

135101[/snapback]

GREAT ;)

Its been said before and I agree with it; you can't put up a statue of someone who is a. still alive and b. likely to be manager in the future.

More evidence that Shepherd believes Shearer is NUFC. I hope Shearer puts a stop to it.

Maybe he has held us back. We'll soon find out.

Haddaway and shite for knocking him though, because we'll not see his like again.

I personally don't think it's right that Ipswich created one for SBR as he's still alive so I don't agree with this one for Shearer....

Not taking anything away from the man - he's been an absolute legend but save it for later Freddie...

What was the announcement which was gonna be made after the match then? Shepherd said he was leaving it for Alan to tell us! ;)

Absolutely daft to put it up when he clearly has ambitions to manage the club in addition to the fact that his playing career has only just ended and he's still alive.

As an aside, I think the location of the Milburn statue is shameful and would be much better placed closer to the ground.

135140[/snapback]

Agreed, it deserves to be in as prime a location as Shearer's, if not more-so.

Piss poor decision if true. As has been said, we should be sorting out moving Milburns statue back to SJP before we think about erecting any more.

135186[/snapback]

I'm sure it was annouced the Milburn statue was moving just two days ago.

As for the Shearer statue, frankly it's an embarassment.

135196[/snapback]

Was it? Champion, about time too. Although, I fear it's only being moved because they're going to start redeveloping around the brewary so this decision has probably been forced upon the club. Cynical hat on.

135196[/snapback]

Was it? Champion, about time too. Although, I fear it's only being moved because they're going to start redeveloping around the brewary so this decision has probably been forced upon the club. Cynical hat on.

135198[/snapback]

Aye, it's going back to the SW corner area, where it will be dwarfed by a 200 foot solid gold Alan Shearer statue with diamonds for eyes.

Guest alex

While I appreciate Shearer's contribution to the team in the past, I subscribe to the school of thought that his time at the club over the past 2-3 years has restricted the club somewhat in moving forward.   Yes, he is the record goalscorer but at times it has been to the detriment of the bigger picture of progress.

135097[/snapback]

That's spot on in my view. Plus, now isn't the time to decide about him getting a statue, especially given he is bound to be a future manager. A similar example is that of Robson getting a statue at Ipswich. It was well after he had left the club (20-odd years) that they put one up for him. Shepherd's got a severe case of Shearer Hysteria.

Edited by alex

135097[/snapback]

That's spot on in my view. Plus, now isn't the time to decide about him getting a statue, especially given he is bound to be a future manager. Another example of is that of Robson getting a statue at Ipswich. It was well after he had left the club (20-odd years) that they put one up for him. Shepherd's got a severe case of Shearer Hysteria.

135208[/snapback]

I still find the argument that Shearer has held us back unconvincing. He has been our top scorer for 10 years, including this year, where admittedly he has been too slow. But what does that say about our other strikers?

Well, now we'll see. No doubt Sima will be looking forward to a much improved Newcastle side next year, but personally I think we'll go into major decline. You always know what you've got 'til it's gone as they say.