Shearer Statue...

I believe his having too much influence at the club has held us back too.

135232[/snapback]

Very true.

He's from Newcastle. Big deal. So are Ant and Dec. Woo hoo!!

He's a big fish in a small pond. A great striker in his day, but to have a bar and a statue while the guy is still around is putting many good people off getting involved with the club.

Guest alex
His 206 goals for the club have taken us forward far more than his influence has held us back.

135248[/snapback]

Yes, overall, but I feel that he played on too long. The last couple of years in particular he's been a shadow of his former self. There is no room for sentiment and if, for example, he'd gone to Man Utd, he'd have been peddled years ago. Quite possibly to us.

His 206 goals for the club have taken us forward far more than his influence has held us back.

135248[/snapback]

Yes, overall, but I feel that he played on too long. The last couple of years in particular he's been a shadow of his former self. There is no room for sentiment and if, for example, he'd gone to Man Utd, he'd have been peddled years ago. Quite possibly to us.

135259[/snapback]

I quite agree, but to me it seems somewhat sad that people can't give the man credit for what he did for this club over 10 years, and celebrate what has been a great career and great servant for the club.

Guest alex

I do give him credit, overall he's been amazing for us and he's carried the team at times. Tbh, I had a lump in my throat on the last day of the season as I think it really struck home it was the end of an era. I'm also realistic about him too though I think.

I do give him credit, overall he's been amazing for us and he's carried the team at times. Tbh, I had a lump in my throat on the last day of the season as I think it really struck home it was the end of an era. I'm also realistic about him too though I think.

135272[/snapback]

So you are human after all !

;)

Guest alex

135272[/snapback]

So you are human after all !

;)

135276[/snapback]

:icon_lol:

135248[/snapback]

135259[/snapback]

I agree, but the trouble is the shadow of his former self has proved to be more effective than any of our other options.

135248[/snapback]

135259[/snapback]

I agree, but the trouble is the shadow of his former self has proved to be more effective than any of our other options.

135288[/snapback]

do you not think it was a self perpetuating problem though Renton? If the majority of support, the chairman/board and local press continue to think that you still have a top class striker, regardless of his actual performances, why would you look to replace him? Our other options were all support strikers, players who would play alongside Shearer or as an understudy. We never invested, until Owen, in another out and out goal scorer

Edited by luckypierre

135248[/snapback]

135259[/snapback]

135288[/snapback]

do you not think it was a self perpetuating problem though Renton? If the majority of support, the chairman/board and local press continue to think that you still have a top class striker, regardless of his actual performances, why would you look to replace him? Our other options were all support strikers, players who would play alongside Shearer or as an understudy. We never invested, until Owen, in another out and out goal scorer

135294[/snapback]

I see your point but personally I think he only stayed on one year too long. You say the other strikers are supporting strikers but why should this be? Fact is they have in the main been poor, and the only decent one we flogged for peanuts. Anyway, I think Shearer had a positive influence on the team. With him gone, I expect results to suffer, unless we buy another top notch striker of course. The thought of Ameobi and Chopra fills me with dread tbh.

135248[/snapback]

135259[/snapback]

135288[/snapback]

135294[/snapback]

I see your point but personally I think he only stayed on one year too long. You say the other strikers are supporting strikers but why should this be? Fact is they have in the main been poor, and the only decent one we flogged for peanuts. Anyway, I think Shearer had a positive influence on the team. With him gone, I expect results to suffer, unless we buy another top notch striker of course. The thought of Ameobi and Chopra fills me with dread tbh.

135297[/snapback]

I think as number 1 striker he stayed on 3 years too long and he should have retired 2 seasons ago if he really wanted to go out on top.

The reast of them were supporting strikers because thats the way we set out, the team was focused on getting chances for Shearer to score. Bellamys own goal scoring suffered imo becuase of this ( yes he would have scored more too if his finishing was better before anyone says so but the point was his job was in support of Shearer who was the focal point of the teams play). He said himself that he'd have more chances to score if he didnt play as Shearers legs, but thats the system the team employed under Robson. When Shearers lack of mobility started to really have an effect Robson looked to change it around and we all know what happened. To excuse his poor return just because others didnt do better is just that imo , an excuse. Ameobi has been poor but do you think if he was good enough he would have knocked Shearer out of the team? Theres no way. Even last season when the obvious best pairing was Kluivert and Bellamy. Shearer played, even when we were told his sluggish displays were down to carrying an injury, he still played regardless.

To get a suitable replacemet you have to first look for one, we didnt. The thought of Amebi and Chopra fills me with dread too but theres no way we'll start next season without a new striker.

Shearer lost his pace, especially this last year, but in terms of committment and technical ability (yes, I do mean this), he was unsurpassed. If you're right with the additionof a so-so striker we'll improve. I hope you're right. But I fear you are wrong.

To get a suitable replacemet you have to first look for one, we didnt. The thought of Amebi and Chopra fills me with dread too but theres no way we'll start next season without a new striker.

135301[/snapback]

I'm not too sure. Strikers are expensive.

If Owen stays we've got Luque, Ameobi, Chopra or Dyer to play with him which although not inspiring doesn't fill me with dread. If he goes, then fair enough spend that money on a replacement of similar quality.

Piss poor decision if true. As has been said, we should be sorting out moving Milburns statue back to SJP before we think about erecting any more.

135186[/snapback]

I'm sure it was annouced the Milburn statue was moving just two days ago.

As for the Shearer statue, frankly it's an embarassment.

135196[/snapback]

almost as emarassing as shearer's bar

An awful idea. Another reason why we really need to win something - we've developed this hero worship of Shearer because frankly we've had fuck all else to cheer about over the last ten years, a few jaunts in Europe aside.

As someone said earlier, Arsenal wouldn't have a statue of Henry if he left this season - because they've had other things to celebrate than the achievements of one man.

If I remember correctly weren't the club critisised for not erecting a Milburn statute until after he was brown bred.

Shearers a legend, the statute is gonna happen anyway, why not now?

It's not that big a deal, thing will be covered in pidgeon poo within a week.

People talk tripe on here sometimes. How have his last 3 years here been detrimental to the club? Hes our top scorer AGAIN this year with 14 goals. Wed have been much better off with luque and ameobi up front, not!

Hes practically crippled but her gave 100percent in every game and got 10 league goals, 3 less than super craig bellamy who would have won the world cup for us apparently!