Weekend Pursuits

Smooth Operator

Talking of cost, have you seen the price of some items on weeding lists nowadays? Hundreds of quid! Sod that, have another toaster.

135472[/snapback]

I've been invited to one in September, but they've lived together for years and have all they need.

Instead of a list they've set up a bank account provided the details and ask that we deposit money :icon_lol:

Cheeky bastads!

135477[/snapback]

;)

Jesus wept.

135480[/snapback]

whatever happened to romance ?

Talking of cost, have you seen the price of some items on weeding lists nowadays? Hundreds of quid! Sod that, have another toaster.

135472[/snapback]

I've been invited to one in September, but they've lived together for years and have all they need.

Instead of a list they've set up a bank account provided the details and ask that we deposit money :icon_lol:

Cheeky bastads!

135477[/snapback]

;)

Jesus wept.

135480[/snapback]

whatever happened to romance ?

135531[/snapback]

It was bought out by hallmark in 1953. They've since marketed it heavily as a yearly holiday on Feb 14th.

I think they stick a zero on the end as soon as they hear the word 'wedding'. My advice is have it abroad.

135460[/snapback]

No, that's selfish and defeats the point imo (no offence to anyone who's done it).

Btw, my wife clocked my registry office next time comment in the other thread - not impressed. :lol:

135461[/snapback]

My sister had her's abroad and about 10 of us went. The members of the family who aren't so close missed out on a day of free food and drink. Big deal. Plus, it was probably cheaper. I think massive do's are a scandalous waste of money with people often getting into debt for their 'big day'. I just don't get that. And I'm not tight, I'd rather just spend the money in other ways. You get taken to the cleaners when you have a wedding in the UK as I'm sure you can testify to.

135466[/snapback]

You make a good point there, but then why have a wedding at all? Surely everyone you care about should witness it.

Besides, wedding parties in resort hotels piss me off. ;) I was unfortunate to be in the same hotel as a bunch of charvers getting married in St Lucia last year.

135470[/snapback]

I don't think it defeats the purpose. Personally, if I got married I wouldn't want many people there at all. I know it's a public declaration, but I think it's quite a personal thing. I'd be quite embarrassed by it all. No big white wedding for me and there would be no £60 a head lunch.

Weekends for me will involve decorating my house - which I want to get started on but simply haven't had the time.

135517[/snapback]

Wowee...what a gal :icon_lol: There's nowt wrong with a quiet register office wedding. It makes a lot of sense. Most blokes will find they do what the bride wants. Strange but a lot of blokes also quite like a big wedding too I would think, some lads I've known over the years have been pleased to have a big wedding, so its an individual thing but the bride calls the shots, if she wants a big wedding she will invariably get it.

I think they stick a zero on the end as soon as they hear the word 'wedding'. My advice is have it abroad.

135460[/snapback]

No, that's selfish and defeats the point imo (no offence to anyone who's done it).

Btw, my wife clocked my registry office next time comment in the other thread - not impressed. :lol:

135461[/snapback]

My sister had her's abroad and about 10 of us went. The members of the family who aren't so close missed out on a day of free food and drink. Big deal. Plus, it was probably cheaper. I think massive do's are a scandalous waste of money with people often getting into debt for their 'big day'. I just don't get that. And I'm not tight, I'd rather just spend the money in other ways. You get taken to the cleaners when you have a wedding in the UK as I'm sure you can testify to.

135466[/snapback]

You make a good point there, but then why have a wedding at all? Surely everyone you care about should witness it.

Besides, wedding parties in resort hotels piss me off. ;) I was unfortunate to be in the same hotel as a bunch of charvers getting married in St Lucia last year.

135470[/snapback]

I don't think it defeats the purpose. Personally, if I got married I wouldn't want many people there at all. I know it's a public declaration, but I think it's quite a personal thing. I'd be quite embarrassed by it all. No big white wedding for me and there would be no £60 a head lunch.

Weekends for me will involve decorating my house - which I want to get started on but simply haven't had the time.

135517[/snapback]

Wowee...what a gal :icon_lol: There's nowt wrong with a quiet register office wedding. It makes a lot of sense. Most blokes will find they do what the bride wants. Strange but a lot of blokes also quite like a big wedding too I would think, some lads I've known over the years have been pleased to have a big wedding, so its an individual thing but the bride calls the shots, if she wants a big wedding she will invariably get it.

135539[/snapback]

Tbh most people seem to completely miss whats supposed to be important about the wedding, the part about the two people (in theory at least!) making a commitment to spend the rest of their lives together. Thats whats supposed to be special.

How it becamse only special when you waste thousands of pounds on needless ceremony, food, drink, holidays abroad and anything else you name i don't know, but thats the way its went.

A simple ceremony with a few important people such as family and close friends there to witness it and some sort of party afterwards would seem to me to make sense and then instead of wasting all that money you have it there to invest in your future.

Plus as an atheist i'm not likely to want to spend my time standing ina church listening to a priest rattling on about god and the bible! :lol:

135460[/snapback]

135461[/snapback]

135466[/snapback]

135470[/snapback]

135517[/snapback]

135539[/snapback]

Tbh most people seem to completely miss whats supposed to be important about the wedding, the part about the two people (in theory at least!) making a commitment to spend the rest of their lives together. Thats whats supposed to be special.

agreed

135460[/snapback]

Btw, my wife clocked my registry office next time comment in the other thread - not impressed. :icon_lol:

135461[/snapback]

135466[/snapback]

Besides, wedding parties in resort hotels piss me off. :icon_lol: I was unfortunate to be in the same hotel as a bunch of charvers getting married in St Lucia last year.

135470[/snapback]

135517[/snapback]

Wowee...what a gal :lol: There's nowt wrong with a quiet register office wedding. It makes a lot of sense. Most blokes will find they do what the bride wants. Strange but a lot of blokes also quite like a big wedding too I would think, some lads I've known over the years have been pleased to have a big wedding, so its an individual thing but the bride calls the shots, if she wants a big wedding she will invariably get it.

135539[/snapback]

agreed

135547[/snapback]

ditto

I cannot see the point in spending ££££'s on a wedding. I'd rather a simple registry office service and a get together after with just close family and friends. The whole meaning of it seems to be lost.

I'm going to a big family wedding in July...im awaiting the wedding pressie list :lol: (those always seem a real bloody cheek to me)!! The wedding is in Broadway (cotswolds) and we have been told we can book to stay at the reception hotel at a cost of £150++ per night ;) Yeah right! I have booked to stay in far more cosy and picturesque B&B nearby at a fraction of the cost :lol:

Back to weekend pursuits....

Havent really got that 'end of season' feeling because of the world cup so close now. Im decorating the bathroom this weekend...or more like choosing colours and supervising :lol:

Other than that we are away at weekends fairly regularly racing :lol:

My (60 year old) mother wants to know what it's like on the Quayside of a weekend evening so I'm taking her out on the town tomorrow!

If I see anyone I know I'll be ripped to shit but hey, I love the woman. I'll treat her to owt she wants. ;):icon_lol:

My (60 year old) mother wants to know what it's like on the Quayside of a weekend evening so I'm taking her out on the town tomorrow!

If I see anyone I know I'll be ripped to shit but hey, I love the woman.  I'll treat her to owt she wants.  ;)  :icon_lol:

135590[/snapback]

aww thats good to read!

135460[/snapback]

135461[/snapback]

135466[/snapback]

135470[/snapback]

135517[/snapback]

135539[/snapback]

I'm sure some blokes do enjoy having big weddings, but some women seem to be planning it all their lives - putting the dress, superficiality and signing their new 'married' name over all else.

I find it interesting that people see big white weddings as a return to 'traditional values', whereas in the past credit wasn't really an option and people simply couldn't afford such big extravaganzas. When my grandparents got married in the '50s, they had a couple of witnesses in the local church and went on honeymoon to Bournemouth. Whilst I wouldn't much fancy a holiday in Bournemouth, as PL says, the wedding reception isn't the most important part.

135578[/snapback]

Been to both types. Best one I went to was in a village in Lincolnshire, mate of mine married a girl who came from a small place that had a small castle type of village hall....they hired it for the night do and reception. It was a lovely day, sunny and hot, great night do. Smashing, everything was spot on.

going to a wedding soon and the bride to be said that basically to have me at the meal and evening reception is costing about £60, so the present should be more than that.

I told her she'll get what she's given and fucking like it!

135510[/snapback]

How would you like that to be twisted? ;)

I can't wait to get thoroughly civil partnershipped. I'd absolutely want my and his friends to be there, of course - but there's no reason they should be there for the ceremony itself, which by its very nature is always going to be fairly standard legal fare. Get the immediate family in to witness and then head out in the evening and party in a far more sensible environment! I can't think of any better way of expressing my love to someone really. After all, if they want something that's going to be indicative of the next best-part-of-hundred years together, we could just as easily stay at home and watch QI on UK Gold with a bottle of corner-shop plonk...

As for this weekend, was out this night with a bunch of mates including my absolute AllTimeFantasyCrush from ages 13 to 17 or thereabouts. Yaaack.

I can't wait to get thoroughly civil partnershipped. I'd absolutely want my and his friends to be there, of course - but there's no reason they should be there for the ceremony itself, which by its very nature is always going to be fairly standard legal fare. Get the immediate family in to witness and then head out in the evening and party in a far more sensible environment! I can't think of any better way of expressing my love to someone really. After all, if they want something that's going to be indicative of the next best-part-of-hundred years together, we could just as easily stay at home and watch QI on UK Gold with a bottle of corner-shop plonk...

As for this weekend, was out this night with a bunch of mates including my absolute AllTimeFantasyCrush from ages 13 to 17 or thereabouts. Yaaack.

135776[/snapback]

Who throws the bouquet? ;)

More weddings...I've still got the headache from yesterday organising mine ffs. We want a small wedding with a big piss up, but there's all sorts of shitty politics that goes on. The Mrs is half cockney so most of her side will have to travel up from London and a few would be afronted if they were only invited to the piss up. Whinging fuckers.

Ow...me heed....

More weddings...I've still got the headache from yesterday organising mine ffs. We want a small wedding with a big piss up, but there's all sorts of shitty politics that goes on. The Mrs is half cockney so most of her side will have to travel up from London and a few would be afronted if they were only invited to the piss up. Whinging fuckers.

Ow...me heed....

136111[/snapback]

Don't tell them you're getting married.

After listening to all this hoo-har I'm seriously thinking of eloping if and when the time comes for me!

I got engaged recently, so every weekend since has been taken up with looking round potential wedding venues.

Two weekends later and I'm already properly pissed-off.

135437[/snapback]

:D

135444[/snapback]

It's not quite reached that point yet, but no doubt it will soon.

Went to a place on the outskirts of Reading, they wanted to charge me £3250 to hire a lawn. No food, no booze, no chairs, tables, nowt.

3k for a strip of grass.

135449[/snapback]

Fuck me sideways! That's steep.

The worst is still to come I'm afraid. You'll be quizzed about what colour napkins you want, which flowers, how big the cake is etc, all the while muttering I DON'T GIVE A FUCK. :D

135455[/snapback]

Aye, but as she tolds me last night. "It's not about you, this is my day"

135456[/snapback]

My missus tried that line and I replied simply with "If it's your day, you can fucking pay for it!"

135776[/snapback]

Let me guess.....Zac Hinton???????

Btw, I had a dream last night and you were in it, you looked like you did when you were 8 but had the body of a 27 year old! :D

And there was no rimming involved for clarification.

135776[/snapback]

Let me guess.....Zac Hinton???????

Btw, I had a dream last night and you were in it, you looked like you did when you were 8 but had the body of a 27 year old! :D

And there was no rimming involved for clarification.

136306[/snapback]

Bloody hell. :D Just sucking then?

And no, not him. Nobody you'd know particularly, as far as I know. I wouldn't have mentioned it if it was going to be potentially incriminating :icon_lol: